Cascade Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rode 4860 up to badger lake and then up to the snow block. I don't remember a tree blocking, but that was on the 15th. Maybe new fall?
    keith_38317 likes this.
  2. Teamoatmealpie

Teamoatmealpie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mental failure- we went up 6th and 16th for recon in the trucks, inverted my memory, as we did similar runs barlow, bonney meadows,, wamic, clarksmill. But only 4860 on the 6th, so we ran into the down tree well before your run. Gratitude to who ever sawed it out as it was a beast.
    Commiehunter likes this.
  3. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool. But you're right. There are 3 notably deep dig-outs in the road. The deepest one, probably the one you were referencing, was easy to go around.
  4. boardforever

boardforever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode from Hood River to Badger lake via the CDR this morning, my first time on the route. So much fun, passed a few cars up there, and a few 4x4s and a side by side closer to the lake. What great morning to ride. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. 2much2do

2much2do Motorpsychlist

Oddometer:
    I got to do the southern route on 7/3, and north from Big Lake to Detroit on the 4th (late start) and 5th. Came back to Sweet Home via the FS 11 road.
    Thanks so much for putting these routes together!

I had other plans that were thwarted by a locked gate. Having these routes available here salvaged the weekend.
    Here's a little summary of the south route. I didn't get many pictures. I was too busy enjoying the ride.
  6. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Rode the northern portion of the north section this weekend. We lost quite a bit of time when a buddy's hard bag decided to free itself from its rack and huck itself down the embankment along the Dog River Aqueduct. We spent hours searching for it and managed to find it, fortunately. Along that same section, there's a big tree down, though there's a sporty ride-around.

The spur that parallels Cold Springs Road (FS 2730) is now a road to a trailhead. That trail, while short, is not approved for motorized travel. The trailhead is near 45.36847, -121.47252. You've been warned. :D

Due to the group's desire to break for Wamic, we managed to get all sorts of turned around in the Rock Creek OHV area. After we got off the CDR, my Garmin routed us on some road that appeared on no map I've seen. That was some good times... ugh.

I also came within a few feet of hitting a brown bear. Not far from Gibson Prairie Horse Camp, the thing ran hard from the right side of the road, thundered across, and crashed down the hill into the bushes. I was close enough to see the whites of its eyes, the pads of its paws, and the dust it kicked up as it ran full speed. No pictures, unfortunately. Gnar...
  7. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    "I also came within a few feet of hitting a brown bear. "

From the post above.

um hum....:D
  8. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Brown, black... whatever. It was most certainly a bear. In fact, it's the second I've seen in as many weeks. I came across another while up around Mt St Helens while on the 790.
  9. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    The brown bear is a bear species found across Eurasia and North America. In North America, the populations of brown bears are called grizzly bears. It is one of the largest living terrestrial members of the order Carnivora, rivaled in size only by its closest relative, the polar bear, which is much less variable in size and slightly bigger on average. The brown bear's range includes parts of Russia, Central Asia, China, Canada, the United States, Hokkaido, Scandinavia, the Balkans, the Picos de Europa and the Carpathian region, especially Romania, Bulgaria, Iran, Anatolia and the Caucasus. The brown bear is recognized as a national and state animal in several European countries.

No Griz in Oregon.

Black bear, yep. See them all the time in the coastal range.

Huge difference.
  10. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was at 8mile campground on Sat and heard some motos brapping by, might have been you guys.

Are you referring to this? Read a few more posts down. If so, it's been like that for a while.
  11. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    I'm familiar with grizzlies. I lived in Montana for nearly 20 years.
  12. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only time I have seen a bear in the PNW it was a little cinnamon colored bear cub. Ranger I spoke to corrected me as well when I referred to it as a brown bear.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  13. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Yup, that was us. We camped in hollow, just off NF-17 Friday night, and finally made it towards 8 Mile later Saturday morning.

And yes, that's the same spot and vehicle closure. Bummer. Seemed like a popular spot for mountain bikers and hikers, though.
  14. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may be mistaken on this, it's been a while, but my recollection of what lead to the trail head being placed on Cold Springs Rd. was to create distance between a very popular crag called Bulo Point and the parking spot to access it. Seems like parking was much closer back then and the place was getting overrun. This way, those interested in climbing the crag had to put in some effort and hike some. However, it was at the expense of closing the road.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  15. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. There seems to be a lot of that around Mt Hood; recreation areas that are loved to death. And it seems like the Forest Service is keep to either close things down or separate things. I see quite a few signs that basically say, "to keep user conflicts down, this trail is closed to motorized use." A bummer to be sure. But I get it.

In any case, we had a blast on the first portion of the CDR. Once we get our act together and luggage secured properly, tackling the sections south of Frog Lake is high on our list.
    Apple Jam and El Pacifico like this.
  16. BybeeKiwi

BybeeKiwi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heading out next Saturday to do the CDR north and south sections over a 4 day trip.
    Having ridden lots of chunks of this route figured it was time to do the whole thing and camp along the route.
    It's like waiting for Christmas to arrive only 7 sleeps.
  17. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Nude With Boots

Oddometer:
    I'm going to start from Bend before next weekend heading north (and doing the WABDR). See y'all out there on my XR400.
  18. outbacktm

outbacktm Bullrun Bison Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Grizz are starting to invade Oregon
    They are here right along with wolves, wolverines and moose.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  19. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap
  20. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Where's Grizz in Oregon?

Two summers ago I think I saw two wolves down by the Steens.