Cascade Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 2, 2015.

1. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Craposis!
    Apple Jam likes this.
  2. throttlebody

throttlebody Boregonian

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain bro. Almost the same type of get off for me at the Barlow or Bust this year ! broken rib, seperated sternum, dislocated collerbone, bruised ego---- 2 months of couch racing !!! Hope you have a safe recovery. MP
    Scott_PDX and martinmenace like this.
  3. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that sucked.....I just fell on the ice 3/13/20..Broke ribs and pulled a back muscle...Still hurting and feel stuff moving around back there...It's only been 4 months..
    I hope your pal isn't as old as I am....as in will it ever heal?
    Best to him...
  4. NotAllWhoWanderRLost

NotAllWhoWanderRLost So Many Roads...

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the get off and broken collar bone. Hopefully St. Charles took good care of the patient and got you guys back on the road without much delay.
    Let me know if the trailer rescue doesn't work out, I've room to store the bike in Bend if needed.
    :beer
  5. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    A buddy broke his clavicle on Sat night and rode out Sun morning. Seems it's in the air...
  6. BybeeKiwi

BybeeKiwi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back home and despite the ending to the trip, we were both reflecting during the drive back to PDX on the amazing places we saw and how fantastic the route is. If you are on the fence about doing this, get off and go for it. Big bike, small bike, whatever you ride
    There are a couple of route issues, keep zoomed in to avoid missing turns, this thing is 99+% correct.
    1. See first pic, just a gps misalignment, so many roads to choose from, staying straight gets you back on the route, correct turn is the about 100ft or so before the indicated turn where there is no road. We decide to not turn around again.

2. See pic 2 this section has a closed gate,
    The upper gate is an easy around, the lower one is very tight. Had to remove a pannier. And walk the bikes to get the lean so handle bars fit, at the south gate there is a lot of foot and mtn bike traffic, watch speed, we were unclear as to why the road was closed, if seemed there may have been alot of road damage and washouts. A bulldozer was parked about mid way and some areas had been regraded, lots of ruts and would be a mess in wet Conditions.
    At the north end, one could turn left not go around the gate and follow route 3 back towards tumalo falls. Eventually making your way back to the route, though I wouldn't skip it, some of the best scenery on the trip.

Pic 3 not for the squeamish lots of
    vitamin I will fix it right up

Well maybe next time I can be more of a completionist and get the whole route done.
    Best of luck to @applejam and whomever is joining him next week, wish I could head back out and do it again tomorrow. Screenshot_20200728-000020_Gaia%20GPS.jpg Screenshot_20200727-235726_Gaia%20GPS.jpg 20200727_160140.jpg
    Apple Jam likes this.
  7. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Nude With Boots

Oddometer:
    Anyone in bend have a set of rear pads for an xr400? Didn't notice I was down to the metal until too late.
  8. NotAllWhoWanderRLost

NotAllWhoWanderRLost So Many Roads...

Oddometer:
    I would suggest you check with Chris at Sanden's Motorsports (541) 382-0089 in Bend.
    Otherwise Pro Caliber Bend (541) 647-5151 is the local Honda dealer.
    Good luck!
  9. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    The Motoshop.
    Brandon and his wife are good peeps
  10. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Nude With Boots

Oddometer:
    Last night, Mt Hood. IMG_20200730_104122_575.jpg
  11. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Apple Jam do you have any route updates from your last excursion?
    outbacktm likes this.
  12. dhally

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen an update so I'm heading down the CDR starting tomorrow solo. I will try to use @Apple Jam 's group site reservations if he's not there. Mainly camping along the way with stops at outdoor dining overlooking mountain lakes. Return TBD.
  13. dhally

Oddometer:
    Made it to Detroit. The weather and roads are awesome. Weekend traffic is thick around rec areas. Managed to camp alone 2 nights, includibg beautiful Summit Lake.
    20200809_160432_Film2.jpg
  14. skycruiser100

skycruiser100 XR650R

Oddometer:
    About a month ago I did routes one and two and found a camping spot towards the tail end of route one I'd like to share. I try to stay away from campgrounds and people when I'm in nature mode and boy did I find just that. I was trying to get to Leone Lake near breitenbush, but I was having difficulties getting to it. In the mixes of things and doing a fair amount of bushwacking with my bike, I found this camping spot that's located right next to a beautiful butte and watched an epic sunset without a soul and just the sound of the wind blowing through the trees.

If you are looking for something similar on your CDR adventure, the GPS position is N44 45.170' W121 59.969 close to Leone Lake according to the map. You will go through some HEAVY overgrown through the trail/road and will seem like your going nowhere and will have to do some tucking and dunking so you don't get clotheslined by a tree branch. Don't worry you will get there shortly after turning off the main route. Big bikes might have issues, but it's worth it.
    IMG_3462.jpeg Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 8.37.12 PM.png IMG_3465.JPG IMG_3466.JPG
  15. dhally

Oddometer:
    Just got back from south of Diamond Lake. Only shot a couple pics

Detroit Reservior
    20200810_182446_Film2.jpg

Diamond Peak and headwaters of the Willamette
    20200812_114708_Film2.jpg

Crescent Lake Jct. Store - wtf pet behind the counter?
    20200811_074644_Film2.jpg
  16. RiderRob

RiderRob Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He's probably a pet now but when he is bigger he's going to be dinner.
    thirsty 1 and Apple Jam like this.
  17. Nathan Fant

Nathan Fant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a different kind of CDR ride report entirely! Three of us do the Hood River to Detriot section of the CDR and get chased by a witch. Consider subscribing if you enjoyed the video!

NSFW, RideAbout and Apple Jam like this.
  18. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any updates on the route?
  19. BlackHawkChief

BlackHawkChief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Olallie area is torched
  20. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Olallie Lake area? How bad?