Cases/Panniers prices and sizes

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by R_Marto, May 27, 2021.

1. R_Marto

R_Marto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm having a hard time choosing a system for my bike. I 've always had plastic and I think they might be better than aluminium regarding weight and impact absorption, scratching, etc. and I'm considering hard cases for travel/daily but a set of side soft Enduristan Monsoon 3 for when I know ahead that the trip will have a lot of offroad.

I've compiled some tables with info on side-mounts, rear-mounts, panniers and top cases. The tables have measures and approximate prices in euros (for black versions). The idea behind it was to help me choose the best compromise in size/capacity, how much they would stick out to the sides and how much would the total system cost.

I've compiled this for the BMW F850GS 2018 but for different bikes you just have to change the prices/dimensions of the mounting racks, cases will be the same.

I've excluded BMW, Touratech, Hepco & Becker and Wunderlich because initally wasn't considering them as they looked a lot more expensive. I think Touratech is the most reasonable by selling a full set of cases with exhaust cut out and all the mounts for 1390€ but couldn't find measures. Hepco goes for roughly 1700€, didn't finish the math for Wunderlich or BMW but it looked like it was going even higher.
    SW Motech is incomplete as it was the last one to be considered, couldn't find all the info and some cases with cut out might be misleading in the sense that you can't just sum rack width plus case width.

For more F750GS/F850GS options check:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/f750-f850-pannier-racks-luggage-options.1396798/

[​IMG]

This lists full prices with mounts and stuff. I've still to add columns with final luggage capacity and final bike width.

[​IMG]

Info in CSV format:
    https://notepad.pw/share/c2nmhu0u2
    87warrior and AdamChandler like this.
  2. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    Now that's research!

Great work!

:D
    R_Marto likes this.
  3. R_Marto

R_Marto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After much thought and discussion with the wife, so far the plan is weird.

Givi SRA (135€) + Trekker 52B (263€ 52L) + Shad SW42 (160€ 42L) + Kriega Max28 or Shad SW45. Roughly 750€ total.

The idea being that the top case should be enough to keep helmets and valuable stuff safe.
    The side bags are half the price of alternatives and still from a nice brand. If they can survive a crash? Maybe not, but if it happens and they don't, I'll upgrade later.
    One WP backpack for some extra stuff or in case we need to carry helmets around. It can sit on top of the Trekker or on the tank, maybe even as a backrest for the pillion.

Also thought that if we get two larger backpacks, like Kreiga R30 or Shad SW45, maybe we can mount them on the side when on the bike as if they were soft bags and skip the SW42 throwovers.

If in the future we feel the need, we can always mount hard panniers like Trekker II (cheap!) or go for the Alaska/Outback/Dolomite and upgrade the top case.
  4. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Just to add to your mix, another brand to look at would be Bumot. Very high quality and not only do they sell aluminum panniers and top boxes but they also sell a soft set that uses the same quick release mounting system. Price wise they tend to come in a LOT less than SW Motech or Touratech or H&B etc. I have a set of the grey powder coated bags and top case on my Africa Twin and the entire set including a top box, liners, lid organizers and a tool box cost less than just the panniers from touratech. I could not be happier with them.
    rotaryracer and R_Marto like this.