Cassiar Highway?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Crush, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Crush

Crush Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a recent report about the Cassiar Hwy in BC? My wife and I are leaving Anchorage for a little ride-about on the 6th of Aug and would like a report on road conditions please.
    Thanks, Dennis
  2. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    What do you ride, Crush? I'll be coming up Cassiar on Aug 8, on an orange DL650.
  3. Muleboy

Muleboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did it about a month ago and it was not bad at all. The lower half (about 200 miles) is great with no construction. The upper half there was a few areas of construction where it was dirt but still very rideable. I enjoyed The Cassiar Hwy much more than The Alaska Hwy. I saw about 20 bears and other wildlife on it where as I saw very little on the other highways.
  4. b737jets

b737jets Baja Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Rode it about a month ago great shape only construction delay was a bridge just before the Stewart Hyder cutoff but they should be finished by now.........

check this link

http://www.drivebc.ca/

hope it help saved me about a 3 hr delay on that bridge by checkin thi site

also you can see some pics of the Cassiar on my trip report
  5. Crush

Crush Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I looked at your ride report, sounds like you had a great trip.

Cheers, Dennis
  6. Drifter

Drifter Staying the Course

Oddometer:
    Ditto -- di it in June.

Some stretches of packed gravel but very doable. Lots of animals --
  7. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Crush. We'll be on the Cassiar about the same time. I'll be spending the night of the 6th in Hyder, and on the 7th will be heading north on the Cassiar. I'll be on a blue/silver Dakar and will have a friend that will be on a grey RT1200. Another friend may be making it as well, and he'll be on a black 1150GS.
  8. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Aren't we all :-) My current plan is to be in Hyder the same night, doing Cassiar on the 7th too. If I manage to push my departure date earlier, I may be a day ahead of that.
  9. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    What are you going to be riding tedder? I'll keep an eye out for you.
  10. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    I'll be on my orange v-strom 650 with Givi cases:
    [​IMG]

I'll go up to the Glacier sometime in the afternoon, not sure where I'll be staying.
  11. Goat-Boy

Goat-Boy Gnarly Sheepfucker

Oddometer:
    Good food and cheap showers ($5.00CDN) -if you're in need- at the motel in Iskut. About 90km south of Dease Lake (I think) Gas stations generally close around 9:00pm. Don't drive at night, many, many moose. (non-reflective type)
  12. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    If you are goin' down the Cassiar . . .

Cheap shower in Hyder at the landromat (3 loonies/8 minutes). Good food at "The Bus". Ask one of the locals.

Don't miss Jade City, they got free coffee and very friendly folk, pretty jade stuff too for reasonable prices.

The north half as mentioned earlier has a few dirt stretches. Below the Stewart/Hyder turn-off it is a superhighway. There as some stretches that approach twisties in the north half.
  13. repeters

repeters Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little late for Crush if he made it out of town on schedule, but for anyone else planning the ride: Just came north over the Cassiar last Tuesday, reaching the Alcan around 1:00 AM Wednesday. Three major gravel sections, 12 miles, 16 miles, and 18 miles, for a total of 46 miles of gravel. From the south, the first 300 kms are new, or nearly so, asphalt. Then it turns to old, lumpy, bumpy asphalt with several years worth of patches.
    The gravel was in pretty good shape, with only a little that was being freshly graded, hence soft. Still, no problem on the GL1800. Every year it gets better, and easier to take your eyes off the road to enjoy the scenery. There are a couple of wood deck bridges that you would probably want to hit straight up if it's raining.
    Incidentally, most of the new construction over in Yukon is paved now, with the exception of just 4 miles along the south end of Kluane Lake. Now if they would just resurface all that stuff closer to Beaver Creek...
  15. Crush

Crush Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, we were a couple of days late leaving Anchorage. Saw quite a few bikes all the way. We are in Smithers tonite.

The Cassiar is pretty much in great shape. Lots of chip seal road surface which was pretty tough on our tires, lots of wear, so much in fact that we had to get another rear tire for my wifes f650, from the Harley dealer in Smithers of all places, really good folks.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ride Safe, Dennis