Cassiar in May?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BladeFlap, Apr 13, 2006.

1. BladeFlap

BladeFlap Ex Dream Crusher

Oddometer:
    I'm getting conflicting info on the "TYPICAL" conditions of the Cassiar in May.
    When I moved up I drove that route, but it was October and in a truck so.....
    If you have actually ridden it sometime in May, please share your experience with me.
    I plan on leaving Colorado Springs around May 6 and heading north to Fairbanks via Jackson-Bozeman-Banff-Jasper-Cassiar.
    I'm alloting around a week for the trip, camping most of the way, until I get so wet and cold that I can't stand it.
    My priority is to get the bike to Fairbanks, I'll give up scenery if I have to, so I'm guessing the Cassiar vs. Alcan decision will take place last minute based on actual reported conditions and forecasts.
    But please share if you can.
    Thanks
  2. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Date : MAY 15 2005
    MAX TEMP :16.1 °C MIN TEMP :0.3 °C MEAN TEMP :8.2 °C PRECIP ACCUMULATION :4.3 mm May 15 , 2005 - Dease Lake

You can still expect close to near freezing temps at nite if your camping. Still, it's all hit and miss. 50-60 F high would be good days. Rain can be rather cold up there if your driving all day in it. Dress warm and bring all the heating devices. Plug me in...I'd do it.
    I may be up there in July.
  3. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully you'll get some blue sky. Its a shame on this hwy when the clouds sock in.

[​IMG]
  4. billy_037

billy_037 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take the Cassier. Did it in the beginning of June last year. Gorgeouis.
    Have fun
  5. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey guy's, :D

I only live 1.5 hours from the turn off to Cassiar and have riden the Cassiar in June of every year for the past 4 on my way up to Alaska. :clap
    The road has come a long way with not that much gravel these days and mostly rough pavement . I must have to say it's one of my highlights when going that way. I just love the road.
    As for the weather it can be very unpredictable, I remember one year going up in June it was so cold and snow flurries plus mud almost ankle deep in some sections. Please don't let this deter you from taking the road. All I'm saying is be prepared for any kind of weather and enjoy the adveture..
    If you need any further advice please let me know.

Rick. :D
    "The Skid Plate Guy"
  6. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I had clouds. Looks like I'm going to have to go back when it's clearer :evil
  7. rowansride

rowansride recreational menace

Oddometer:
    I rode up in march a few years ago... got to Anch. around the first of april... Made it in five days frow Seattle, would have been sooner but It snowed me into my tent for a day around Lilloet ( I think how it was spelled) and I had to stop and persuade some goofy hippie not to strip his jeep down to a long block and rims about two hours from Watson Lake.... Dummy was just out of gas. I occured to me that might be the problem when he told me that even though his fuel gauges were broken, He had plenty of fuel, because he had filled it up yesterday morning.....Really pissed me off, That night I realized I had rode 990 miles that day even after stopping to help him for four hours. I think I could have made it to whitehorse if I hadn't stopped. Oh well.... no thousand mile days on that trip....God bless the fine folks at Widder electric clothing company.... Don't bundle up, Turn it up!
  8. BladeFlap

BladeFlap Ex Dream Crusher

Oddometer:
    Well, if it can be done in April, maybe it's worth a try in May.
    I usually take lot's of photos so I'll try and post a report as soon as possible after the trip.
  9. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We came accross about 27th may last year. It was sweet.

gilroyak.com for pics and video :)