cast iron cooking

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by The Cyclops, Aug 17, 2012.

1. MikeinEugene

MikeinEugene Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taco fixin's for Saturday. Inside stove top was being used for tuna canning so had to do it all outside. Tasty! Ground beef & chorizo (1/2 and 1/2) in the first pan, pork tenderloin in the middle and fresh local albacore in the 3rd. IMG_20190928_120929918.jpg
  2. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can almost smell that.
    Mambo Dave and MikeinEugene like this.
  3. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    My first try at rehabbing a rashed out skillet. It some no name 8" that I don't remember where I got. It spent most of its life with me as a duck blind meal machine. It was rashed when I got it but who care when your just making bacon and eggs or fajitas for lunch. That's a 40 grit sanding wheel on a 41/2" grinder. The finish may not be perfect but it's good enough for who it's for.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

It's in the oven right now with a first coat of canola oil. I'm going to let it go a little longer at 400 then stick it on the grill and crank it up. Pics to follow.
    MotoBoss and tjzondrz like this.
  4. BigEasy

Oddometer:
    Couple of steps in the seasoning process 05FDF99D-326C-4FFE-9EAC-FBADB7D779D9.jpeg 431132EB-CDA4-4E0C-8798-993B3BBAF3A2.jpeg C7D4D8BC-FD8F-4CBA-A145-EB495EA4C1E5.jpeg

bacon and eggs for breakfast to check my work
    MotoBoss, tjzondrz and Fire Escape like this.
  5. BigEasy

Oddometer:
    1st cook in the refurbished POS. Of course it had to be bacon:dukegirl

I'm not going to say it was perfect but it was for sure 1,000X better than what it was.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  6. BigEasy

Oddometer:
    9B1AF12C-240B-4747-944D-C6807F607B9B.jpeg

After the first cook and a cleaning/wipe down/reseasoning. I think it turned out ok
    barnyard and tjzondrz like this.
  7. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    So I'm currently in the process of reseasoning my 12" skillet and lid and my friends 8" no name brand. I'm going with the flaxseed method.

Gotta say, the stripping of the old seasoning and washing is a huge PITA. I went with the 'stick em in the oven on the self clean cycle' method, and though it worked great, I think I ruined my oven racks.

I left them to soak in a weak acetic acid (vinegar solution) overnight to fight off the rust and any stubborn old seasoning spots but i gotta tell ya, fresh iron in water has a pretty sickly smell. Hope i won't have to do this again for a while.

I didnt take photos of the before and im already on my 3rd layer of seasoning, but ill take pics from here on in to share.
  8. hooligan998

hooligan998 Save a life, grope your wife.

Oddometer:
    Don't know if it's been posted on here, but I learned that when I need to scrub/re-season my iron skillet, I use kosher salt and half a potato and scrub in a circular motion with the flat of the potato half and re-season. It's always worked well for me.
  9. SteelJM1

Oddometer:
    That took all the seasoning and crap off? I'm kind of a cast iron noob and i was under the impression that you gotta burn or chemically remove the old seasoning and crap to get down to bare iron. I've used coarse salt to clean when i've cooked something sticky in it, but it didn't take off the seasoning.
  10. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
    There are naysayers on this method, but it has worked great for me.

Get a cheap tote with a lid. Spray the offending pan with heavy duty oven cleaner and put it in the tote with the lid on it for a few hours. Remove, rinse with lots of water, repeat if necessary.
  11. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have just finished an experiment running about 6 months of daily or twice-daily cooking in one cast-iron skillet with no oil and no reseasoning for those entire 6 months. I don't know exactly when I started, but it was about Feb or Mar and after a month or so I just asked "how long can it go?" The answer appears to be about a half a year. I have mostly cooked vegetables in no water then a water deglaze and another water rinse before drying. It's a covered skillet so vegetables steamed in their own juices but some good browning.

A couple of weeks ago I ended up with chipped seasoning in the bottom. To remove the roughness in prep for reseasoning, I used the scraper blade on an oscillating tool and it chiseled the chips right out and left the bottom pretty smooth. Before this I've used a drill with the 3M "rust and paint remover" wheel. I now prefer the oscillating tool.

That skillet is bakng in the oven as I type with the 4th coat of oil.
    I've used oven cleaner in a plastic bag. Works well. As you see above, I tend toward mechanical methods now but wouldn't hesitate to use oven cleaner if needed.
  12. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I've cooked a few dinner steaks in mine recently. Next morning's eggs sure are tasty - as long as one doesn't clean the cast iron out too well.
    tjzondrz likes this.
  13. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eggs, and onions, always taste better fried in some sort of meat-leavings. :-)
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  14. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bacon grease! I keep some in a small jar in the fridge.
  15. SteelJM1

Oddometer:
    Makes for a decent schmaltz too
  16. hooligan998

hooligan998 Save a life, grope your wife.

Oddometer:
    You answered your own question.
  17. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I normally cook the eggs in the grease left over from cooking bacon in that same pan, but on mornings where I didn't get exercise the day before I skip the bacon.
  18. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ban
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  19. aterry1067

aterry1067 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recently acquired from family handmedown. Any info would be greatly appreciated, such as name brand and a guess at age.

C21B2C57-09D5-4F9D-8B4D-3E91BF5662A0.jpeg 4FAACB04-6E03-4F13-8113-5A617486368D.jpeg
    1CBD9C9B-EA5A-42D5-8D1C-AD6BA30496F1.jpeg
  20. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like 1960's Lodge.#14 is 15-15-1/4" across the top. Smooth cooking surface, notches in the heat ring on the bottom at 9, 12 & 3 o'clock?
    Very nice skillet.