Cast Wheels?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by gregbenner, Jul 25, 2015.

1. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many of you have actually broken a cast wheel. Not your buddy, not your sister's boyfriend's 2nd cousin, not an article somewhere, but you? I have ridden bikes for 50 years, owned maybe 20 in the last 10 years with cast wheels. Not an avid off road rider, but I do ride fire roads. Have slightly bent a couple wheels hitting potholes (on paved roads) over the years (ruined the tire in both cases) but the wheel was perfectly ok. Did a fair amount of offraod with my Triumph Tiger 800 with cast wheels, never an issue. Not at all suggesting that spokes aren't more durable, just curious how often, or seldom, cast wheels get broken?
  2. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen cast wheels break a couple times. Both were on CHP RTs. One bike broke both wheels on an absurd pothole on 880 in Oakland. The officer didn't drop it. The other, the landing gear fell off a semitrailer and the officer ran over it. Both wheels destroyed and the officer stayed up. Also on 880. Spoke wheels would have been destroyed, too.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only ruined wheels I have seen personally were on RTs, one on a GT. Three so far, none of them lost air, one was cracked, two were fixed and one not cracked was tossed.
  4. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses. I do have cast wheels, when I purchased my bike there was a $3500 discount, but only for what they had in stock. As i indicated, I do ride fire roads, but am probably more concerned about the "absurd" pothole. Interesting, and good yo know, that, in Jim's case, they didn't lose air. In my two cases, never lost air, and wheels didm;t need fixing, just a "dent" in the rim and a bulge in the tire, which I did replace.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  5. Amania

Amania wine co hooligan

Oddometer:
    friend with v-strom cast, dent from cattle guard, lost air
  6. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dented my front Marchesini rim around the bead on a Ducati 900 sports with a hit of an absurd pothole at a very illegal speed. Tyre stayed up and we temporarily beat the bead back into shape with 2 ironbark (read really really hard wood) 150 mm X 100mm fence posts. Cost around $150 to have the rim professionally straightened the next day. So that's once in over 40 years.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  7. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I saw a set of wheels off a 99RT that were fubar from a NY pothole about 14 years ago. Not sure if they lost air! I saw another front on another RT at Americade that was bent pretty bad and the guy was riding it.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  8. Amania

Amania wine co hooligan

Oddometer:
    I saw a 2014 gs on the Dalton, cast wheel bent, not holding air, from a pothole.
    Lots of potholes on the Dalton. My spokes came through fine.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  9. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good input. I had thought of buying a set of spoked wheels to mount knobbies on, but, for the type of "off road" riding I do I realize the a set of cast wheels will work just as well, for less money. I don't go on long trips on my own bike (Ayres Adventures for me), so the remote chance of a broken wheel isn't like it would be for someone riding to Alaska for example.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  10. chromius

chromius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bent a cast wheel last year on a nasty sharp rock sticking out on a trail. I saw it coming, and thought to myself "I should avoid that" but, as you all know, you go where you look. I Hit it hard, and had to stop to make sure I didn't blow the tire. Surprisingly it dented the rim but didn't lose air. I brought it in to a local guy with a machine shop and he rolled out the bend, trued the wheel, and it's been fine ever since. Took him a couple of hours, and cost $150

I'm not a wheel expert, but the guy who fixed it said cast wheels are much easier to fix than spokes for minor bends and such.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  11. orgo

orgo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2012 1200GS
    On my way to Big Horn Recreational Area from Cody WY 20 to 32 to 310
    I hit something on highway 32 not sure what ,never saw it, could have been a pothole but didn't feel like any pothole I've ever hit before.
    Bent the rim and the tire started leaking air limped into Lovell Montana a few hundred yards before the tire went flat.
    Waited six hours at an Exon /convenience store for BMW to find someone willing to take me to the nearest BMW dealer which was Missoula MT 410 miles away from Cody. The tow company would only do it next day. I got towed back that night to Cody then next day to Missoula MT. Lost two days. Missoula Motosports handled it very well overnight FedEx a new wheel and had me out of there in 24 hours. New Michelin Anakee 3 . . There's more to this story but don't want to bore you
  12. LittleWiggler

LittleWiggler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rented bikes in South America to do a 20 day ride. On day 4 far from any motorcycle shop, much less a BMW shop one of the front wheels started loosing pressure.
    After a few hours we found it had a hairline crack on the TOP of the wheel. After some JB Weld we got it to hold a little pressure and we filled it with FixAFlat when we found some a few days later...
  13. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    2005 GS, wiped out into rocks off a forest service road, bent front cast wheel, wouldn't hold air due to tire sidewall being cut, would have been the same result if I had spoke wheels.
    Replaced cast wheels with spoke on my 05, was off-roading thru old dry farm field with weeds about 18" tall, smacked a hidden piece of metal irrigation pipe, bent rim to point that tire wouldn't hold air, rode it out about 25 miles to paved road, tire/wheel both written off.
  14. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are cast wheels even available for 2019 or 2020? Cast might be the better choice for a 100% street GS or GSA but I haven't seen any at my dealer or in other dealers' ads. It looks like every GS in the USA comes with the spokes, like them or not.
  15. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Yes i have “ brok3n” a front cast wheel. In a very large pothole going much to quickly. Split the rim. Probably would have the same outcome on spoked wheel.
    I have spokes on current GS
  16. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Cast wheels are standard equipment on '19/'20 GSs on most colors while wire spoked wheels are an option - exception is HP Motorsport colored GS which comes with gold wired spoked wheels only...

Check out build-your-own: http://byo.bmwmotorcycles.com/19RG#colors
  17. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a $500 up charge. I've not seen a '19 in the flesh with cast wheels.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wait, they are now upcharging CAST wheels? Last year they upcharged spoked wheels.
  19. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Probably come on some ‘Exclusives’, at least on the 2017.5 bikes I saw.
  20. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, same as always, only upcharging spokes. What I meant was that every single '19 I saw in a store was spoked.
    JimVonBaden likes this.