Castle Valley to Gateway, Big Bike Friendly?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Skunk-Works, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Skunk-Works

Skunk-Works Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to be in Moab for a few days at the end of next week.
    I'd like to ride through Gateway/Delta on my way back home to Denver when I come back on Sunday.
    Google Maps shows the route to be "Dolores Triangle Route/Gateway Rd" to "4.4 Road"
    Is this the "John Brown Canyon Rd" that I've seen posts about?
    I'm assuming I won't have any issues with this route on my Super Tenere, unless it's muddy......
  2. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are correct. The east end of the road is through John Brown canyon. I did it about four years ago in my tiger explorer on tkc70 tires. Only issue was a slippery patch of mud on the CO side that got me by surprise. I was too relaxed and didn't noticed the change in the color on the wet clay surface. Honestly, I don't know how I managed to stay rubber side down. All I know is going sideways with a big red mud rooster tail behind me. However, made it uneventfully through. The switchbacks down into John Brown canyon are intimidating steep but fine for any bike. If it wasn't for the clay I would say you could probably drive through in a car. Looked like it was recently graded when I went through. Right after the pavement ends on the west side there is an overlook over castle valley worth stopping to snap a pict.

You may want to call the peoplr at gateway canyon resort to ask for current conditions. Their guests use that road quite frequently.

471885896.jpg
    Skunk-Works likes this.
  3. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode through it in the beginning of summer.
    What @Boricua said.
    Easy road when it is not wet. I have ridden it multiple times in different conditions on my Gs1150. No issues unless wet.
    Skunk-Works likes this.
  4. Ozzie

Ozzie OZZIE

Oddometer:
    I rode it about a month ago. Road was in good shape. If it rains becomes pretty slick.
    Skunk-Works likes this.