Cat Herders: Shenandoah Valley Inmates

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by HBN, Nov 3, 2008.

1. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Joe you did some nice roads would be great to meet you some day soon and hear more about your TAT trip.
    DragonJoe and eddie bolted like this.
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    did they change the rules/regs, i didn't think unplated vehicles were allowed on those roads.
  3. Creekgeek

Creekgeek Master Finger Painter

Oddometer:
    Allowed is different than possible ask the kids on ATV’s running around my neighborhood until yesterday. Deputy Dawg put the ATV on a rollback. Maybe the broken mailboxes will stop now.
  4. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next you’ll be saying GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!
  5. Creekgeek

Oddometer:
    my older grumpier neighbor does that job for the community. He called the police so often during utility work on the right of way through his yard that the utility company hired off duty officers to just be there and tell him they had a right to be there
    BlakKrauStudios and eddie bolted like this.
  6. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would be fun to meet some area riders.
    I’m plotting when and how to get back to my DR650 stored in WA and do some BDR out there. Maybe end of June.
    Advencha before Demencha!
  7. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, where in Page are you?
  8. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know Supporter

Oddometer:
    Between Luray and Stanley. Might do the MABDR north from here soon. Been gathering gear since most of mine is still out west. New tent etc. MSR Elixir. Roomy.
  9. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Cool, I have land just down river from the Newport public boat launch. I'll ping you next time I head down, maybe we can meet up at a socially acceptable distance...
    DragonJoe likes this.
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    met with a client tuesday, and they happened to mention that they had a problem with an 8y/o boy racing back and forth on the country road with his small dirt bike in front of the house, then including all the gravel driveways in the area. they flagged the kid down, told him he couldn't ride in the road. the kid went home, told his parents that he had been threatened, and that's when the parents showed up. parents claimed it was perfectly ok for the kid to use a couple miles of county road and dozens of driveways. huge argument, now the sheriff is involved.

family lives on a 1/4 acre lot, buys the kid a bike, where did they expect him to ride?
    Creekgeek likes this.
  11. BlakKrauStudios

BlakKrauStudios I'm cool... right?

Oddometer:
    Oof. I know the feeling.

On our last trip to Low Moor, our regular PITA just stood in his yard on the top of the hill and stared at us with his hands on his hips. At least this time he didn't come down and tell us "They all better hope the good lord don't take my wife first, 'cause I'll kill ever one a them motherf-----s.". And all because VDOT paid for his land, and built a new road.
    Creekgeek likes this.
  12. BlakKrauStudios

Oddometer:
    I love this.
    eddie bolted and DragonJoe like this.
  13. mudcrutch

mudcrutch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't get it. Never understood how or why some folks get their boxers in a bunch over these things. If there's vandalism because the kids are punks and the parents are clueless, that's a problem and law enforcement is there for a reason. But there's a strange process that always seems to bubble up to the surface.

I think too many adults forget what it was like to be a kid. I call it mini-bike envy. Why is it any kid can ride a pedal bike up and down the street all they want and that's cool? Totally legal too. Clothes-pin some playing cards onto the forks and now it starts to get under somebody's skin. Put a motor on it and suddenly, they're all a bunch of juvenile delinquents and belong in Boy's Town. They're probably flipping their cigarette butts into some old codgers lawn. Ripping Boone's Farm Apple Wine off from the local 7-11. Skipping class and smoking weed! DAMHIK!

People forget how much fun and also how difficult it is to be a kid. Not to get all CSM, but I think too many municipalities have their heads up their asses. Local example around these parts... The old Lorton Prison property in Fairfax County has been developed. Nearly all of it converted to multi-use park and open spaces. They put in Laurel Hill Golf Course. The old prison buildings are multi-use now. They have weekly comedy clubs. There are art gallery and craft venues. There's even an Equestrian Center. They have a bow hunting program to keep the deer population in check. But when we approached them to consider an enduo-MX-single track space too, they slammed the door in our faces. Now the Lance Armstrong wanna-be's are all over the Equestrian Center. You have the horse chicks raising a stink with the tight shorts dudes. All the back to nature types are raising hell about the bow hunters. Bow hunters can take a quad on any park trail to retrieve a deer. But there's not one riding park anywhere in the county.

We just want to party and ride our bikes without being hassled by the man! There need to be some public spaces where kids can ride. Motorcycle stuff... I bet WayneJ would gladly show some kid how to clean a carb, just so the kid knows not to throw any plastic in his fire pit. Am I right? It's all about investment.
    Mtnjoy likes this.
  14. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @mudcrutch

I'm with ya. I spent some of my youth living in Arlinton County. We used to take dirt bikes for a spin now and then. Occasionally we got a scolding from the county cops. Worst "punishment" I ever got was one of them told me I had to push the bike home and if he saw me riding it before I got home he was going to tell my parents. That was a long 2 miles.... Even at that young age (14 maybe?) I had to admit the punishment fit the "crime" pretty well and it did serve as a deterent from riding the bike in the back field of the local school yard again...

I wonder how much of it may just be the different times we live in now. Seems folks both young and old have less respect for others. We never ran from cops, we didnt ride thru people's yards. Back then the relationship between cops and the general public was fairly chill. Seems different now.

It's an odd paradox. As a society we've gotten very intolerant of a bit of youthful horseplay but extremely tolorant of outright disrespect towards each other and authority. The stuff I see kids (and adults) do and say to each other these days would have NEVER gone unchecked back in the day.
    Mtnjoy, Wahoo_Limp, mudcrutch and 3 others like this.
  15. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode thru there yesterday on my way back from looking at a van down by Island Ford! If it weren't for the current situation I would have revive my RTE thread this spring.
  16. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode thru there yesterday on my way back from looking at a van down by Island Ford! If it weren't for the current situation I would have revive my RTE thread this spring.
  17. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    DCrider likes this.
  18. Creekgeek

Oddometer:
    Did they buy the kid a helmet?
    That fit?
    How did we survive ...
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    kid had a helmet, but that's all he had. don't know if it fit.
  20. BlakKrauStudios

Oddometer:
    Kids on my street ride their bikes constantly in the street. They also do wheelies. Long ones. Controlled ones. I'm extremely jealous.

While they do occasionally seem to not give a shit about people pulling in and out of their driveway, the traffic that used to cut through our neighborhood and race from stop sign to stop sign has almost completely stopped. I call it a win. And again... they're REALLY good at wheelies. :D

I have a theory that our society has descended into a simple two-prong standard: attention and selfishness. And most problems can be explained by those to aspects. I haven't found much that doesn't fit.

But that's just me, and I've been known to be wrong about most things.