Catharsis thy name is Scramster

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ginger Beard, Jul 11, 2018.

1. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Yes like toast toast bu más grande. Like toast on steroids. Normally with loads of butter
    Webman and Ginger Beard like this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    It is as John describes. It's a huge slab of white bread toast bathed in butter. :tb
  3. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I had a lot of miles to cover today but I was feeling tired and sore within minutes of getting on the bike. I had saved some time thanks to a generous helping of continental breakfast at the hotel but that didn't spare me from feeling each consecutive mile as the day went on.

I was in a bit of an off mood and I didn't know why but there it was. I was grumpy and more along for the ride than into the moment. I had a lot of shit on my mind. Work, money, family and the fact that we are moving in August were all weighing on me pretty heavily. I was feeling out of control and rather than come up with solutions, I was beating myself up for it as I rode from town to town.

There's a metaphor buried within this photo.
    IMG_20180616_094005.jpg

Even lost in my own head, I do love the feel of these old towns.

IMG_20180616_094424.jpg

I decided to take a break alongside another river. The shade of the overpass was a refreshing gift.

IMG_20180616_101258.jpg

Someone loves me.

IMG_20180616_101642.jpg
    Elle2Konsai, td63, juno and 12 others like this.
  4. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I needed to get off the highway and onto some smaller roads. You see more at 40mph than you do at 55mph and though I needed to burn down miles, I wasn't in the mood to give up sightseeing in the process.

I came across a road sign with my buddy's name on it. A younger me would have nabbed it for him but at 44, a picture will do.
    IMG_20180616_103433.jpg

This road turned into a mood changer as it took me into a rural farming area and my first taste of dust on this trip. It was only a few miles long but roosting gravel and sliding around corners really put a smile on my face and reconnected me with the bike and the moment.

IMG_20180616_105803.jpg

I took a break just to enjoy the silence.
    IMG_20180616_105822.jpg
    Elle2Konsai, td63, juno and 17 others like this.
  5. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I made it to the town of Hartwell GA and came across the never-ending red light. Annoyed, I made a series of turns...3 rights to make left sounds about right. It turned out to be fortuitous because as I passed through Hartwell's downtown, I spotted what looked like a car show.I made a uturn and headed back to the parking lot of a BBQ restaurant only to find a pristine collection of Model A Fords.

The owners of the cars were part of a church affiliated car club and of the 6 cars there, 3 belonged to a man whose great grandfather was the original owner. Very cool. Even cooler is that this club meets once a month and then heads out on a long drive to various restaurants for lunch, usually with a round trip of around 150 miles or so. These beautiful vehicles actually get driven!

The owners were kind enough to let me snap a few pictures. It was really enjoyable to hear the history of each vehicle and to have a conversation with such a welcoming group of strangers. *Mood Level Up*

IMG_20180616_114638.jpg

IMG_20180616_114758.jpg

IMG_20180616_114707.jpg

My favorite was this 1928 Sport Coupe with all of the factory options .

IMG_20180616_114857.jpg

After a long talk and a few handshakes I was back in the saddle. I love road trips. It's good to be reminded of that.
    Elle2Konsai, td63, juno and 21 others like this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I left Hartwell and my new friends behind and crossed into the western tip of South Carolina. Trying to make up a bit of time, I rode right through several picturesque small towns yet took exactly zero pictures.

Within what seemed like a very short time I was greated by my first glimpse of the mountains.

IMG_20180616_133857.jpg

It was here that I had the pleasure of thanking the only driver that I had encountered in the hour that understood what a pulloff is and how to use it.
    IMG_20180616_134008.jpg

I hopped back upon my steed and within short order I was crossing into North Carolina and heading towards the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hello beautiful!!

IMG_20180616_134616.jpg
    Elle2Konsai, juno, klaviator and 10 others like this.
  7. semihippie

semihippie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think that statue was a Paul Bunyan restaurant at one time?

Really digging this RR. Followed the scramster build, nice to see it going places. How does it track on the highway with the knobby's on it?
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following this report. You write well. Very cool bike. Enjoying it.

Some light reading for my trip tm.. Congrats gramps.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  9. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Unsure what the story is with the Paul Bunyan but the missing axe and missing ox seemed to fit how I was feeling.

Thanks for following along on the RR and the build. Yeah, I have a few ride reports floating around and have put over 50k miles on the Scramster since I built it. With the Kenda k270 rear and the Shinko 700 front it does fairly well. Riding one handed at interstate speeds is no problem. That Kenda does squirm a bit when pushed in corners and it is pretty loud but it wears like iron and performs so well in the dirt that it's worth the small compromises. Can not say the same about the front K270 on such a heavy bike. It gets a bit scary at speed and wonders in corners. The Shinko helps keep things balanced.
  10. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thanks for the compliments and for following along! Still adapting to grandparenthood. :lol3

Where are heading on your trip?
    Tenatra and larryboy like this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    At a gas stop just before the BRP I met a rider that had come down from Asheville aboard a KTM Superduke. The twisty roads were making me miss sportbikes and seeing his didn't help.

With thunder in the distance and the wind picking up, I departed the gas station with extreme prejudice, hoping to beat the storms to Asheville. Well, that just wasn't to be and within a few miles I was riding wonderful twisties in the pouring rain with knobby tires and aboard a loaded bike. Boo you weather!!

I pulled into a gas station where two other riders were seeking shelter. The angry storm had pulled the plug on the electricity for this end of the mountain and the darkened storefront was evidence.

I stood with this father and son for two hours while it rained sideways on us. The driving rain and powerful wind gusts were relentless and since I was only a couple hours from Asheville, I chose not to push it. Our little group killed time by talking about road trips, motorcycles, our respective home towns and of course this darn storm. It was nice to have company while waiting for mother nature to take a breather.

It started to let up so I snapped a pic of my compadres, dawned my rain gear and bid them safe journey. Time to beat feat to Asheville.

My last pic of day 3. Foul weather friends...

IMG_20180616_150616.jpg

The rest of day three's ride was spent fighting traffic after leaving the BRP. I pulled into my inlaws place around 7 p.m. , tired and eager to relax. I was greeted by my mother-in-law ,my stepdaughter and her cousin.

My wife , stepson and mom showed up about an hour later and we spent the evening catching up with oneanother while enjoying a home cooked meal and the lightshow provided by fireflies as they danced and drifted on the evening breeze.
    Elle2Konsai, td63, juno and 16 others like this.
  12. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TAT- Toothless Learns to Fly.. I believe you already liked some of the posts. Lol.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  13. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Oh crap, I'm subbed to your thread!! Rock on!:clap
    mcrider57 and Tenatra like this.
  14. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    GB, congrats on the gramps-to-be! It will bring out a whole new side of you. I had my first at
    48 and she will soon be 13. I now have 4 of the little buggers. I completely get why you are on this trip as far as life changing events are concerned. I recently went thru surgery to repair an improperly healed L1 vert. And have been dealing with nonstop pain from the injury.
    It definitely has affected my life in a lot of negative ways. I planned to retire in a little over 4 years ( I'll be 65), but may have to sooner if I can't get the pain under control.worst of all,it has affected my ability to ride but an upcoming
    Vacation to Colorado will reveal more about that. Sorry to hijack and ramble. Loving your ride report,keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Firstly thank you!! My daughter is very excited and I'm excited for her. The grandad thing probably won't fully register until I'm holding the wee tike.

I certainly don't envy you for having to go through back surgery but as someone that has had chronic back issues since his late teens, I completely sympathize. Really sorry to hear that it's causing you so much grief. Have you considered that maybe there's a good reason that the universe is steering you towards early retirement? Maybe there's some living that you're destined to do instead? Just a thought anyway.

Absolutely enjoy these hijacks. The whole reason I became a member on this sight was to share my experiences and learn about the experiences of others. :beer
  16. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    The next couple of days were spent relaxing at my inlaw's home in north Asheville. The trouble was that while I was doing a good job of looking relaxed, inside I was a bundle of anxiety. That's healthy right? That odd dichotomy aside, I was still enjoying my time with family.

IMG_3964.jpg IMG_3968.jpg

Sunday I got a call from my buddy Kyle asking if I wanted to meet up for a day ride. "Yes, yes I do!!" It had been almost 2 years since I had seen him and we had ridden together and I was really looking forward to it. Kyle is just one of those people that's fun to ride with. He's a complete ripper on big bikes and he loves to explore new areas with no real plan in mind. An added bonus is that we get along well.

The following morning we met up around 9 a.m. Even the interstate in NC has beautiful scenery!
    IMG_20180618_085040.jpg

The man with the BMW is @Kyle B . The gentleman with the HD was another rider starting his day. He was really interested in our bikes and enthusiastic about riding . It's great meeting people from the various types of motorcycling segments , especially when you can tell how much joy it brings them.
    IMG_20180618_090622.jpg
    juno, klaviator, rubline and 9 others like this.
  17. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    We rode to Hot Springs NC in search of a bite to eat before setting off towards TN. Most of the town was closed except for a gas station and a diner. We chose diner and had a great meal along with some good conversation. It was good to see Kyle again and to catch up on the last 2 years.

Kyle has a buddy that is also a fellow rider and he knows the area that we wanted to explore quite well. We headed up to his house near the border of TN. Once there he gave us some pointers as to where to go for some riding that would be a bit off the beaten path. He described one road that went up and over a mountain but he could only remember a rough general area where it was located. Good enough, lets go!!

Getting a lay of the land and hanging with my new doggy friend.
    IMG_20180618_115933.jpg
    Elle2Konsai, juno, klaviator and 10 others like this.
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! Loving it and I'm in. :clap How could it be wrong when a Sportster is involved?
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard ReddogAlberta!
    RedDogAlberta and merc16 like this.
  20. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    In. I’m digging that bike, and your travels on it.
    Yinzer Moto and Ginger Beard like this.