Catharsis thy name is Scramster

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ginger Beard, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    We left Kyle's friends house ,excited to find riding nirvana and in this area of the country, that feeling is usually right around the corner... Literally.:D

Within minutes ,Kyle had set us at a fun pace as we wound our way through the beautiful countryside leading us from NC to TN. I'm almost positive that the roads in this part of the country were made by a motorcyclist. We turned onto a dirt side road that looked like it went up the mountainside. Kyle smiled at me and enthusiastically exclaimed "It's too hot. Let's find some elevation!". Yes!!

We took the road to the point where the GPS showed a dead end yet where the satellites showed nothing, the road defiantly continued it's course through the dense forest . Kyle looked at me woth a bit of a smirk and said "Well?" knowing full well that I'd answer "Let's go!!". A decision that neither of us would wind up regretting. This forest road went on for miles and miles as we climbed higher and higher into the mountains.

IMG_20180618_132626.jpg

IMG_20180618_132937.jpg

The heat of the valley had given way to cool damp air and the noises associated with the human world had faded into the isolated sound of my own breathing. I was reminded of the reasons why I fell so hard for motorcycling's charms lo those many years ago ...
    Elle2Konsai, td63, juno and 17 others like this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated!! I'll do my best to keep up the momentum!
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  3. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    A quick anecdote about the Sunday before the ride. The kids had plans to visit friends for the day so it was just us "adults" left to fend for ourselves in a search for amusement. Somehow I was convinced to volunteer for hairstylist duty.

Here I am being the sexy hairdresser as I did a quick hair color change on my wifes head.

Sexy!! IMG_3950.jpg

She is now a trans-ginger. She's not a natural redhead but she identifies as one...
    Elle2Konsai, juno, shinyribs and 18 others like this.
  4. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You sassy hair tech ! That might be your new career !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Webman and Ginger Beard like this.
  5. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Trans-ginger.

:photog
  6. TurnerR

TurnerR Ride motorcycles, have fun

Oddometer:
    Hell yes! I love that bike. It took me a minute to realize who you were on Instagram, but that Scramster is one of my favorites! Be safe my friend and have fun!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  7. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Hahaha. I'd just shave everyone's head out of frustration. :lol3
    Webman, Bultaco206 and merc16 like this.
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I can't take credit for that one! The kudos for that witticism goes to my wife.
    Webman, larryboy and merc16 like this.
  9. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thanks man!! Your cross country chopper trip is still one of my favourites ride reports. Really appreciate the compliment.

I'm following your TAT trip. Safe journey to you and your pops as well!
    :freaky
  10. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Continued...

Kyle and I killed 15 minutes or so just soaking in the beauty of the forest. Sunbeams pierced the canopy only to settle upon the surrounding landscape, spotlighting microcosms of nature's splender. There's an ancient energy in these places that is reconnecting and humbling all at once.

We finshed our break and set back to climbing up the mountain road. It was A short while later that we frightened 3 dogs that were now running down the center of the road away in an attempt to escape from us... But wait a moment, those are odd looking dogs! I suppose that is to be expected since it was actually a mama bear and 2 cubs!!! She ushered her youngins' up a steep embankment as she turned broadside, looked directly at us and gave a throaty chuff before pursuing her progeny. It's always a beautiful and bewildering moment to me when I encounter an apex predator in the wild. It's seems to me that no other creature within our natural realm can unsettle such a powerful beast in the way that the presence of a human being can. What does that say about us?

We continued another couple of miles before the road began it's descent. As we rounded a courner, we were greeted by a good sign.

This one.
    IMG_20180618_141512.jpg

Why was it a good sign? Because it was one of the landmarks described by Kyle's buddy along the unnamed mountain pass that he had told us about! By simple saying "screw it, let's try this way", we had stumbled upon the very thing we had been looking for. I love it when a plan comes together. *puts cigar in mouth*

IMG_20180618_141230.jpg

IMG_20180618_141212.jpg

IMG_20180618_142252.jpg
    Elle2Konsai, juno, shinyribs and 11 others like this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Having grown up in South Florida, I'm not quite sure why it is that the Smokey Mountains feel like home to me but the connection is inescapable.

Kyle and I worked our way down the twisting gravel corridor , crossing several small streams in the process. It was beginning to warm up again as found our way down the east side of the mountain.

We passed through a larger stream just before encountering a small river crossing.

The Scramster and I enjoying a refreshing dip.

image0000071.jpg

image0000041.jpg

image0000081.jpg
  12. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    And Kyle taking on the larger river crossing. Easy peasy and not too deep but extremely refreshing in the climbing heat of the day. IMG_20180618_145416.jpg
    IMG_20180618_145419.jpg

IMG_20180618_145422.jpg

We actually rode back and forth through the water crossings a few times just to enjoy the cool down. Okay, in all sincerity there's still that child in me that wants to stomp in puddles. Apparently Kyle hasn't outgrown this either. :lol3
    Elle2Konsai, td63, juno and 12 others like this.
  13. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    We motored on through the forest as we looked for an egress. The shadows were beginning to stretch out and Kyle had a 2 hour ride back to VA.

Since the roads in this area didn't show up on either of our gps units, we were navigating with the compass and a bit of luck. Well, that luck manifested in a "you are here" forestry map.

IMG_20180618_145712.jpg

It turns out that we had ridden right into the Martha Sundquist state forest. If you are are ever in this region of NC/TN , this forest is worth a day trip. Apparently Kyle and I had only scratched the surface here... Perhaps plan on several day trips. :D
  14. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the map, we found our way back to the highway. Kyle and I went our separate ways, both homeward bound. With plans to meet up in Florida , we said our goodbyes. What a great day of riding.

IMG_20180618_152520.jpg

I was back in NC in short order. I nabbed a pic of the TN state line on my way home. I was looking forward to some home cooking and spending the evening with the fam.

IMG_20180618_153718.jpg
    Elle2Konsai, juno, klaviator and 8 others like this.
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    A few random shots from the days ride.
    image0000061.jpg

image0000031.jpg

image0000021.jpg

image0000011.jpg
    Elle2Konsai, td63, klaviator and 10 others like this.
  16. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
  17. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Good trip report man, I’ve been with ya on each post. Sound like a blast. Your motivating me to do one on my trip to sturgis with pops. Love following along on your journey
  18. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    F***in' Slayer! :super

All Inmates must carve 'Slayer' in forearms before returning to riding. :lol3
    rubline and Ginger Beard like this.
  19. Hvymax

Hvymax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quality time with the bike is always good. Now you can figure out how to make the bike more comfortable. Throttle lock cruise control and a decent size windshield along with some seat work have made my KLR into a whole nuther bike on the road.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  20. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Man, get out there and get a ride in. Always enjoy your ride reports! Good to hear that you're digging mine as well.
    Webman and johnwesley like this.