Catharsis thy name is Scramster

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ginger Beard, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Lol. That's great! :lol3

Thanks for reading!
    Romero likes this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    It was on the above hike that I had a bit of a spiritual moment. I used to be into studying reptiles and I do mean into it as my first declared major was herpetology. I used to come home with everything from giant softshell turtles to rattlesnakes. My girl calls me the animal wisperer.

This day I'd have the pleasure of being greeted by a bit of an old soul in the way of a massive snapping turtle. The healed scars and the sheer size of this animal told many stories. He spotted me from across a small pond and decided to come over and investigate. For me it was a very cool moment as he cautiously crawled to within inches of me and checked out my phone and then looked directly into my face as though to say "Never let fear overcome your curiosity of living new experiences." or maybe he just wanted to know why a bearded jackass was taking pictures of him...
    20180620_131549.jpg

20180620_131911.jpg

20180620_131927-1.jpg

You take care old timer.
  3. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    IMG_0048.jpg IMG_4265.jpg

That night we all went out to dinner as a family. I know a lot of people aren't fond of their inlaws but I feel like I won the inlaw lottery. These are good people and they truly make me feel like part of the family. Also they sugared me up real good with fresh made icecream so that's another plus!!
    IMG_4262.jpg
    Elle2Konsai, juno, klaviator and 6 others like this.
  4. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I'd be leaving for my return trip the following day and was actually excited to get back on the road. My wife and mom would be leaving tomorrow as well so made the most of our remaining hours, staying up late and reveling in eachother's company. The last few days with family had truly filled my soul.

The next morning my wife and mom left with the dawn. I had planned to leave shortly behind them but became immersed in conversation with my mother in law. She is a lind yet strong woman that has lived her share of joys and tragedies, all of which she has embraced as a growing experience. Listening to her as she tried to impart some of that wisdom to me was a great way to spend my morning.

I was planning on heading to the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley on my way south and as luck would have it, due to my procrastination, my father in law was now awake. Turns out he had never been to the museum and had been wanting to check it out so I tossed out an invite. Looks like I'll have fellow gearhead along!!

Not wanting to take major highways, we set plans to meet up at the museum in 2 hours. That would let me take the fun back roads and a side trip to check out a piece of property that a buddy of mine just bought up here.

All loaded up and ready to roll... 2.5 hours late! Punctuality is not my strong suit. :lol3

IMG_20180623_094308.jpg

And off we go. Goodbye Asheville!

IMG_20180623_095647.jpg

I rode through the quaint mill town of Canton. I had been through here on other trips and promised myself that "next time I'll take some time to check it out". Well, it's next time.

IMG_20180623_103616.jpg

I'm a sucker for brickwork and this cool town has it in spades.
    Elle2Konsai, juno, klaviator and 8 others like this.
  5. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    all that nice family! you are a lucky man.
    powderzone and Ginger Beard like this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thank you! I don't have much money but I certainly feel wealthy in that regard.
    Webman and yamalama like this.
  7. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    The ride from Asheville to Maggie Valley was exactly what the doctor ordered as I ambled along through the rolling hills, river roads and small townships. It ws a stark contrast to the bustle of tourists that filled the Valley area. I popped out of a quiet side street directly on to the main drag running through Maggie where there were large groups of motorcyclists moving in all directions. I was a bit surprised by the number of riders in the area as I added a +1 to the herd.

I pulled into the parking lot of the museum around 11:15 and it was already packed. The main building was much larger than I'd expected which was a bonus because that meant there were more bikes inside than I'd anticipated. Score!

IMG_20180623_112559.jpg

Jim pulled in a few minutes later and to my surprise he had brought Nya along (my stepdaughter). She digs bikes and has done multiple long days in the saddle with me including a 4 hour ride in sub 40 degree temps. It was great to see that she wanted to tag along in spite of her burgeoning teenagedom.

IMG_20180623_113514.jpg

Back in the day, Jim had a bike just like the one in the first pic with the sidecar that he had bobbed and lightened up in order to try and beat his buddies Triumph. He didn't tell me who was faster but he joked that both engines had a total loss oil system, the HD was by design and Triumph was because it was British. :lol3

IMG_20180623_113520.jpg

If you're wondering why Jim is rocking a dust mask, no it's not because he thinks he's in Asia. He survived a lung transplant a couple of years back and aims to preserve those puppies for as long as possible.
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Jim was like a kid in a candy store once inside and we spent the next few hours pouring over antique bikes and oddities that were powered by motorcycle engines. It was a pleasure listening to Jim's stories about various bikes in the collection as je had owned quite a few of the same models over the years. Though he hasn't ridden in many years, that joy brought to him by riding was still feeding his passion.

Here are a few pics from the museum. I have way too many to post. If you are ever in western NC , definitely put this place on your must see list!!

IMG_20180623_114409.jpg

IMG_20180623_114431.jpg

IMG_20180623_115934.jpg

Nya has decided that she wants a vintage Indian. I've already taught her how to ride dirtbikes and she wants a dualsport as her highschool transport. I've promised to help her restore a vintage bike but she has to save up and buy it. She's already pretty good with a wrench and I made it clear that she will be doung the lion's share of the work and that I'm only helping when she's absolutely stuck on something. It's the only real way to appreciate riding one of these old motos.
    IMG_20180623_121817.jpg
    Elle2Konsai, juno, klaviator and 10 others like this.
  9. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
  10. MrAndMrsZINC

MrAndMrsZINC Snappin' necks and cashin' checks

Oddometer:
    Dude... I wish you had been my dad. :thumb
    Elle2Konsai and Ginger Beard like this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I'm not all sunshine and roses. :lol3

I appreciate the sentiment. I just want to pass on a family tradition. My daughter never got into riding even though she took to it instantly when we went dirtbike riding. Nya on the other hand begs to go riding. Seems that the bug is less about genetics than it is about heart.
  12. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Nice scoots!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  13. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice report Dave!

You know we all just need to sit back and count our blessings sometimes. I like your reports they are always so introspective.

I feel the same way as you. Live in S FL but have some kind of connection to the NC area. Luckily I have a son up there. So now we go up there to ride bikes and see family. We are leaving in a few weeks to go up there and sitting in the office looking at your pictures is driving me crazy.

My wife and I can't wait to load up our bikes an hit the road.
    Ginger Beard and klaviator like this.
  14. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Mister, you put out one of the best ride/life reports!! Always a pleasure reading them...you throw it out there for all of us!!

On the depression thing.....I have lost 3 family members to depression, I don't understand it....but it is real!!....the one thing I have learned thru this is when a loved one is lost, everybody looks at each other and says "if that person only knew how much they were loved" over and over again.

Good for you for putting it out there, and what I can see "you are loved, big time!" Fight the good fight brother!!

Look forward to the rest of your ride/life report!!

Would be a pleasure to meet up with you sometime if you are in San Diego area!!
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    That's a tiny fraction of the bikes on hand. The place is awesome!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  16. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thanks Dan!

I'm learning how to change my focus as time goes on. Gratitude isn't just a feeling, it's a tool for staying positive which has been a huge hurdle of mine. It's been a process over the years but the last 10 or so years , I feel that I've grown in leaps rather than steps.

We've lucked out as well with having family up there. We're constantly plotting and planning our next escape. Man , what is it about that place that is so magical? We are on an 8 year plan to move there.

You and your wife have a wonderful trip and I do hope you share a little of your trip with us all!! :beer
  17. choppahead

choppahead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR and great pics! Nothing like a bit of two wheel therapy to help straighten out things in your head.
    Really looking forward to seeing the new build. Gonna rock if the Scramster is any indication.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  18. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Wow Dano thank you! As strange as it may seem, much of why I write and share is so that I can see my own thoughts and feeling laid out in front of me. In that way I can dissect them and grow from the experience. I'm now a much different person than I was over a decade ago when I became a member here, thanks in no small part to something as seemingly simple as being able to look back upon my thoughts.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of family to depression. I too have lost friends and family to it and you are right about the thoughtsof "If they only knew..." . If they did ,would it have caused them to fight harder? To seek help? To change focus? I don't know. I know that for me, at my lowest moments, the destructive negativity has been beaten back by the knowledge that the hardest days are temporary. Even if part of me feels that the misery will never subside, I choose to focus on the smiles, the hugs and the laughter that I've shared and will share again. I know it hits everyone differently but talking about it, just getting it out...It helps.

Perhaps we'll get that chance to meet someday and if so, I look forward to it!
    Webman, KHVol, waybill and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thanks choppahead!

Indeed, I never mind a visit to my "therapist". :D

I'm leaning towards a bit of fusion between a Norcal style swingarm chop and the Japanese scene brat bikes.
  20. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Leaving NC...

I had now spent much longer than planned at Wheels Through Time and needed to get moving. I said my goodbyes to Jim and Nya, leaving them to continue exploring the museum.

It was now after 2 p.m. and I had plans to stay with a close friend in GA for the evening. With 4 days to get back to south FL and a desire to ride through southeast AL as I headed downward , I would have to cover quite a few miles each day.

I let Joe know that I'd see him around 7 p.m. and then I put the screws to it...until I didn't... After a brief stop for some food in Cherokee, I headed south. I happened upon a scenic byway through the mountains that looked to provide some technical twisties. Just as I'm turning onto it , a massive drove of motorcyclists coming from the other direction to file in right as I'm about to make my turn. Now normally I wouldn't care but when several of the bikes are Goldwing trikes and CanAm Spiders, I get really suspicious of both their intent and their ability.

Within 3 turns my suspicions were confirmed. These cats had no intention of riding quickly and unfortunately on a bike like the Scramster, there was no safe way to get by them. I had the frustrating displeasure of watching them slam on their brakes as they approached corners, wallow haphazardly through the turn then drag race to the next corner... Rinse and repeat. And of course not a single one knew what a pulloff was for. Had they been able to at least maintain the speed limit then it wouldn't have been so annoying but their incompetence wouldn't allow it.

I pulled over twice hoping to put enough distance between us that I could enjoy the road. One stop was 2-3 minutes but I caught them within a couple of turns. The next stop was nearly 10 minutes which I was confident would be plenty. Imagine my dismay when I was stuck behing them yet again within 5 minutes of being back on the bike.

FUUUUCK this! I couldn't take one more second of watching these wobbly weekend warriors use every improper riding technique ever conceived. I turned onto the very next road that I came to.

At least the views were nice for my sanity breaks.
    IMG_20180623_150136.jpg

IMG_20180623_150117.jpg
    Elle2Konsai, juno, klaviator and 9 others like this.