CB vs CL

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by ludop, Mar 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ludop

ludop n00b

Oddometer:
    Reading that the CB350 is a nice beginner bike for riding and great for your first build as well (availability of parts and resources). How does the CL differ from the CB in regards to availability in parts and resources?

Apparently the most differences are the tank, wheels, exhaust, handlebars and seat. I prefer the look of the CL 'dual sport' over the CB's.
  2. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the CLs had drum brakes (1973 and later CBs had front discs), cross-bar handlebars, fork gaiters, and a smaller tank (about .5 gallons less). Due to the high pipes, the CL produced less power by 4hp (over 10% less). A parts/help resource is linked below...

https://www.hondarestoration.com/
  3. Wkendwrench

Wkendwrench Professional Lurker

Oddometer:
    Good choice!

Spend some time here:

www.hondatwins.net

If you like the CL’s, the really challenging part to find is the exhaust. Lots of functional quality, but if you’re going for restoration, be prepared for big $.

Good luck!
  4. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever you do , don't go looking for ST SL exhausts. Crimey!

[​IMG]
    spo123, smax and pnhd65 like this.
  5. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    SL 350 I believe you meant.
    beemerphile likes this.
  6. ludop

ludop n00b

Oddometer:
    Great resources @Blackshirt and @Wkendwrench! I do like the exhaust from the older CL without the muffler box.

Is the CL really that much more expensive than the CB in a restoration?? I thought it wouldn't differ that much since so many parts are interchangeable. :hmmmmm
  7. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    The few parts that are different are a lot more money in clean, show condition. Specifically good OEM high pipes are getting hard to find due to a couple big reasons: rust and hack saws.

If you're building a custom scrambler you could interchange a few parts with the cb series to save a few bucks (euros). The tanks are more slender and hold less. When on a trip, the cb one gets you further between gas stops, they mount the exact same. The seats are different only in the cover/chrome side tacks. Fenders are a bit different too, but mount the same as well. The gear ratios / sprocket sizes in the CL vs the CB driveline are different, but interchangeable too.

My wife and I built a '69 CL350 a few years back that she rides and have done a couple CB350s too. I love taking it out on runs around our county too, the CB/CL/SL350 family of twins are awesome.
    spokester and Wkendwrench like this.
  8. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The CL seats are longer, I think, to match the stubble gas tank. Shaped slightly different than the CB seats.
  9. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    A main difference between the high pipe CL350 and the low pipe CB350 is the ease with which you can remove and replace the carburetors for servicing them. With the CL, you must remove the exhaust system (front heat shield, mounting brackets, header pipes, single use gaskets at the head -- formed copper and not cheap). You remove the exhaust system so that you can remove the LH plastic side cover (careful -- don't break the plastic tabs). Remove the RH plastic side cover too. Then you can remove the air boxes, and air filters, and then you can start removing the carburetors. With the CB model, just start at the point where you have to remove the side covers.

The CL exhaust system is a bit more restrictive, cutting the horsepower a bit. That said, it has one of the world's sweetest motorcycle exhaust notes from about 5K rpm and up. Guaranteed to make you smile!

Buy one rough and fix it up. They're cheaper that way. I love my little CL350:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a wash job and some elbow grease:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    spokester, e.t., 83XLX and 3 others like this.
  10. AtLarge

AtLarge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job on that! Bet you went through the whole 5 gallon bucket of elbow grease. :jack
  11. 83XLX

83XLX Long timer

Oddometer:
    As fxray said, carb and air filter access requires removal of that complicated exhaust system. It makes less power, too, so I solved all that by putting low pipes on my CL. The high pipes look cool, but the CL is not a dirt bike, so they are a case of form over function.

9CA7B2F7-B272-486C-A180-B63057285AE4.jpeg