CB500X - Frugal Suspension and Front Wheel Conversions

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by AKTobias, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Depending on your riding weight and gear you carry, or if you pillion a lot, before going over to the Level 2,kit i fitted a rear shock from a Honda CBR600F4 and had it serviced and fitted with Gold Valves and had the fork serviced and new springs, Gold Valves and rods done. The difference was dramatic and other than wanting a bit more ground clearance i would have stuck with that setup. All up cost after purchasing second hand shock, suspension servicing, gold valves etc was a bit over $700 aud. WP_20140815_006.jpg
  2. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 200lbs before gear. I want it set up for multi day rides (camping) so add another ~40lbs. So If I could get the suspension set up for ~250lbs I'd be happy.

How hard was the rear shock install, was there much fabbing to do or was it a plug n play (ie: could I use it with the existing valve installed)?

Are springs and front gold valves commercially available for the X now or does one have to order another bike model to fit?

Sorry I'm a mechanical newb. I thought there was some postings on ADV rider on how to do the rear shock (and possibly the front suspension with gold valve/intimidators) but my search skillz suck as I only found this thread.

Ya I was keen to spend the RR level 2 kit money to also get the extra 2" clearance but I'm finding I don't ride that knarly so I should be okay this way (I have the RR skid plate installed).

I also don't want to drop too much $$ into the X in case Yami finally puts a 700cc ADV bike in the showroom that is near the same weight and reliability as the X.

Thanks again Cruz.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Rear shock is plug and play, reservoir was mounted up on the left hand side of the engine. My bike had the abs module near the shock which just makes things slightly tighter to work with. Gold valves for the forks were from a 600 Transalp I think.
  4. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cruz.

I had a look on ebay and they show a yellow and red shock for that bike model, is there any difference?

Cheers.
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Look over on the cb500x forums, pretty sure there is a lot more details about exactly what models you need to look at. I think mine was from a 2001. Cant help with the spring colours.
  6. Killpony

Killpony Yung and Dumb

Oddometer:
    Howdy I found myself in sort of the same predicament as OP- dumped my bike riding cockily in some bad conditions and bent up the forks. I've got my little bikes to get me around town and I work as a machinist so I have some resources to do fab work but less cash resouces. I figured I might be able to upgrade to 19" wire wheel with a fork swap cheaper than I would just replacing with oem/used parts. Anybody find a good swap for this? I'm light and dont need to do hard offroad so I think the f650gs forks would be adequate for what I want
  7. AdvNewbDW

AdvNewbDW n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried a wheel off of a 2019/2020 cb500x? They run a 19" from the factory, not wire spoke though. Looks like it would be a wheel and a fender, caliper bracket position doesn't change and the rotor looks identical.

Thoughts?
  8. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    This has been asked many times. It would be certainly possible, but not necessary feasible. Different axle size, different brake disc diameter and spacing.
    BTW, the 19 wheel hits the radiator if installed with the stock forks
    Cruz likes this.
  9. AdvNewbDW

AdvNewbDW n00b

Oddometer:
    That's really interesting that it would hit the radiator, when you use the 19" rally raid on the new fork guts it clears. I suppose you also have the different top clamp, changing the rake slightly.
  10. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the upper fork clamp is different in the RR setup as it lowers the forks enough that the larger wheel clears. Lowering the fork does not change the rake in their case as they raise the rear to match the OEM layout.
  11. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    The L2 RR solution on pre-19 bikes contains a stepped top triple what retains rake, but lowers the stanchions by 20mm in the clamps to clear the rad.
    A quick workaround is to use chrome stanchions from the CBR500R which are 18mm longer than the 500x and 500f.
    Other option is to use the 19 lower and upper triples - they offset the forks a bit compared to earlier models, so a 19 wheel can fit.
    On a side note I don't think it would be lower cost to buy a 2019 19" wheel than lacing a 19-er on a KTM hub and get a brake spider laser cut to mount the oem abs ring and brake disc. Ooops. This is exactly what RR did on their first front wheels before started to machine their own hubs.
  12. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used an extra large diameter front 17" tire that has the same outside diameter of most normal 19" tires. Cheap alternative. The only modification was to raise the front fender. I had no clearance issues with the radiator. I also added some PVC spacers, thicker oil, and slightly more volume of fork oil.
    Shinko 130/80x17 705 tire. Not very many choices but the Shinko works pretty good. It's not quite as large, but pretty close for cheap.
  13. backroadbender

backroadbender Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My frugal suspension conversion started with an set of 08 KLR forks that slid right in the Honda’s triple clamps letting it stick past the top clamp 1”7/8 .Picked up a 19” front wheel from a 03 BMW 650 and a SV 650 caliper, took them to a local machines that I’d worked with on another project and he turned me a new axle and also fabed up a bracket to bolt the caliper to the Klr forks . Using the BMW rotor coupled with the 500x master cylinder worked out great. So then of course we had to rise the rear . I picked up a shortened lowering link to replace the OEM unit .doing sum guesstimates I adjusted the link to be 3/4” shorter than the stock unit .also added was a shock from a Gsxr 600 that bolted in with a little help from a grinder . When I took newly adventureised 500x for its first trial run I was surprised as hell ! It worked ! I felt like Dr Frankenstein. I had just made a new best friend .
    I can thank everyone that contributed to the 500x threads for pulling this project off. I’ve added and changed several other things like a KLR rear fender ,custom rear rack that allows the trunk to sim much low helping to keep that low COG .I didn’t go into much detail as I’m not much a a writer as you can tell but I do what to share what I learned from this great ADV community. If anyone has any questions about this project feel free to ask I’ll answer as best as I can. I’ve dun a lot of work on this bike and it was worth every frustrating minet. But of course It’s not over yet .
  14. backroadbender

backroadbender Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F2F3DF26-FD70-4EE2-B015-97022B20E687.jpeg

Attached Files:

15. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested in BMW F650gs front suspension parts, I have the front forks, wheel (both 19 and 21 your choice), brake disk, brake caliper and axle. Sens a PM we can talk.
  16. AKTobias

AKTobias Frugal Badass

Oddometer:
    I started this post a few years ago .. and built the bike and moved on to a full Rally Raid set up. I haven't reported back yet.

So heres the story. I got the gsxr600 or 650 rear shock and it mounted right up. When I flipped the mounting triangle, it gave me a good 1.5 inch raise in the rear. I had to weld up a new kickstand.
    Then for the front ... i bought 41mm forks from an XR350, shortened them by cutting the spring and putting in spacer and new bushings and Ricor Intimators. Put on a 19 wheel and fitted an axle and a bracket to use the CB500x brake. Goodness gracious that was the massive difference i was looking for!!!!
    It wasn't a dirt bike, but it was truly an adventure bike and BDR worthy!

What wasn't said earlier is that I rode it a year, and then sold it to buy a CB500x with the full Rally Raid kit and suspension.
    How much better was the Rally Raid? A little.
    Was it worth $3,000? No ... plus I enjoyed the mod process.
    Now, i want to buy a 2019 and just add the Ricor Intimators to the forks and rock on.

Here's the bike I ended up building... notice the front spoked wheel and the rear mag wheel.
    20170905_101056.jpg 20171028_090512.jpg 20170826_174352.jpg 20171028_101701.jpg
  17. AdvNewbDW

AdvNewbDW n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice! How did you rig up the high fender the 21" wheel?
  18. AKTobias

AKTobias Frugal Badass

Oddometer:
    Its a super moto fender ... and a 4 inch piece of 1.2 or 2" square tubing. Its easier than you'd think. Where I've seen other bikes do this, they didn't shim the fender up or down on one side with Washers to angle the fender appropriately. That's why some bikes look like they have erectile dysfunction.
  19. Ricorjon

Ricorjon Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hear there is a sale right now.....;0)