CB500X - Frugal Suspension and Front Wheel Conversions

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by AKTobias, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Depending on your riding weight and gear you carry, or if you pillion a lot, before going over to the Level 2,kit i fitted a rear shock from a Honda CBR600F4 and had it serviced and fitted with Gold Valves and had the fork serviced and new springs, Gold Valves and rods done. The difference was dramatic and other than wanting a bit more ground clearance i would have stuck with that setup. All up cost after purchasing second hand shock, suspension servicing, gold valves etc was a bit over $700 aud. WP_20140815_006.jpg
  2. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 200lbs before gear. I want it set up for multi day rides (camping) so add another ~40lbs. So If I could get the suspension set up for ~250lbs I'd be happy.

How hard was the rear shock install, was there much fabbing to do or was it a plug n play (ie: could I use it with the existing valve installed)?

Are springs and front gold valves commercially available for the X now or does one have to order another bike model to fit?

Sorry I'm a mechanical newb. I thought there was some postings on ADV rider on how to do the rear shock (and possibly the front suspension with gold valve/intimidators) but my search skillz suck as I only found this thread.

Ya I was keen to spend the RR level 2 kit money to also get the extra 2" clearance but I'm finding I don't ride that knarly so I should be okay this way (I have the RR skid plate installed).

I also don't want to drop too much $$ into the X in case Yami finally puts a 700cc ADV bike in the showroom that is near the same weight and reliability as the X.

Thanks again Cruz.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Rear shock is plug and play, reservoir was mounted up on the left hand side of the engine. My bike had the abs module near the shock which just makes things slightly tighter to work with. Gold valves for the forks were from a 600 Transalp I think.
  4. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cruz.

I had a look on ebay and they show a yellow and red shock for that bike model, is there any difference?

Cheers.
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Look over on the cb500x forums, pretty sure there is a lot more details about exactly what models you need to look at. I think mine was from a 2001. Cant help with the spring colours.
  6. Killpony

Killpony Yung and Dumb

Oddometer:
    Howdy I found myself in sort of the same predicament as OP- dumped my bike riding cockily in some bad conditions and bent up the forks. I've got my little bikes to get me around town and I work as a machinist so I have some resources to do fab work but less cash resouces. I figured I might be able to upgrade to 19" wire wheel with a fork swap cheaper than I would just replacing with oem/used parts. Anybody find a good swap for this? I'm light and dont need to do hard offroad so I think the f650gs forks would be adequate for what I want