CBR250R "Adventure Mode"

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Sky Earth Road, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Sky Earth Road

Sky Earth Road Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going on a group ride through Utah in June. The planned route includes some off highway riding like the Burr Trail and the Moki Dugway among others. The other riders all have more bona fide adventure bikes like BMW GS or Suzuki V-Strom. My legs are too short to ride pretty much any ADV bike, and in any case I'm a believer in "Ride what you got."

I decided instead to remove the belly pan fairing from my 2012 CBR250R for a little more ground clearance, and also to swap out the wheels and tires. My bike has ABS, which can be a liability or even hazardous on loose dirt and gravel. So I picked up a used set of non-ABS wheels on eBay and mounted a set of Shinko Trail Masters. I also swapped a set of Hepco & Becker C-Bow XTravel waterproof bags in place of my usual Street Oval bags, and I have a Kriega US-30 drypack on order for a tail bag. I added some clear wrap to the lower fairings for stone protection.

Hopefully this will be ready for some mild adventure! Let me know if I'm missing anything. What have others done to modify street / sport bikes for a little off highway motoring?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bors, Matt-J2, dtysdalx2 and 5 others like this.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Your set up is more than adequate to handle the roads you will be riding. Nice set up.
    bobthekelpy and Sky Earth Road like this.
  3. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen full dress Harleys go up Moki. It is bladed pretty frequently so is normally not washboarded.

Nice views up top... Be sure to ride through the Valley of the Gods right next door.

https://goo.gl/maps/4Q4638eRfPpMqHZs5

Dramatic geography similar to Monument Valley but with no crowds.

NFE
    Ginger Beard and Sky Earth Road like this.
  4. Sky Earth Road

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the feedback, thank you! And thanks for the tip on Valley of the Gods - looks fantastic!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. ron_al

ron_al n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice looking setup!

If I correctly remember the reviews when that bike was released, the ABS-model CBR250 has combined-ABS. That is to say, I think that use of the rear brake may possibly also apply some front brake.

I see that you have swapped out the rims for another set without the ABS tone rings. So the ABS system presumably won’t work.

But, if I’m right, then you may possibly find yourself still applying the front brake on gravel or other loose surfaces.

(Just be prepared for that.)

Have a great time!
    Sky Earth Road likes this.
  6. Sky Earth Road

Oddometer:
    Good memory and good point! Yes it has Combined ABS. The front brake caliper has three pistons. The outer two are controlled by the front hand lever, and the center one is pressurized by the rear brake pedal after ~0.25 sec delay valve. The front braking pressure is pretty light as a result, but useful. However, I agree: caution is warranted.
  7. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    looks like a great set up for the plan you have

the only addition I would make would be a radiator guard if you are going to be following other bikes on dirt or gravel roads
  8. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picture 028.jpg

Here is a picture of my then new Ninja 650 at the top of Engineer Pass. Enjoy the ride. A friend of mine has a patch on his jacket that says "Bad desicions make good stories". Words to live by.
    Ginger Beard and Sky Earth Road like this.
  9. Sky Earth Road

Oddometer:
    Wow, yes! That's a fantastic suggestion, thank you!
  10. Sky Earth Road

Oddometer:
    Neat! What a great picture!

Here's me on the rental FZ-07 (at left) I rode to Animus Forks, Colorado (July 2020) with my crew. Bike wanted to overheat and the street tires were pretty squirrelly on rocks. What do you guys recommend for tire pressure with 50/50 tires on gravel?

[​IMG]

FZ-07 center frame:
    [​IMG]

FZ-07 center frame again:
    [​IMG]
    Ginger Beard and Stomp347 like this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I dig that you're taking this trip on the CBR! Looks all set for the task.

I put 50,000 miles on an FZ07 doing the "wrong" type of riding. Enjoy your trip!

IMG_20160623_211832 (2).jpg
    dtysdalx2 and Sky Earth Road like this.
  12. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I think the answer, as usual, is it depends. Are you going to ride gravel/dirt roads all day? How loaded is the bike (compared to your normal riding)?

Usually, if I am riding a mix of pavement and dirt/gravel I keep the pressure where it is for normal road riding. You don't want to run too low a pressure on paved roads, it heats up the tire excessively and results in much higher wear. If you air down, are you planning on stopping and air back up when you get to pavement?

On weekend rides it may not be an issue, but when you are on a long road trip, it's a tire killer. I don't know what sort of mileage you are counting on these tire going on this trip, but for my bikes, it's often the difference between making the entire trip on one set vs. having to find a new tire somewhere on the road. Also, low pressure exposes your rims to more damage should you miss some rock on one of those gravel sections and end up hitting it at speed.

I hit a good sized embedded rock, hard at about 80 on a trip to Mexico. The impact was so severe I thought my front end came apart. Surprisingly, there was only a small ding in the front rim, no loss of air. I ran it like that for another 2K miles without any issues. I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't running normal pressure in the front the damage would have been more severe.

Gustavo
    svo_jon and Sky Earth Road like this.
  13. Sky Earth Road

Oddometer:
    Cool pic, @Ginger Beard! @Gustavo thank you for those insights. It's going to be a mix of gravel and tarmac. I will have a compressor with me, but you make a compelling argument to run the standard pressure to protect the rims from impact. That's how I'm going to go!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When do you leave on your trip? Will you be crafting a ride report?

For the same reasons you stated, I'm putting together an adv bike for my wife starting with a cbr250r

20210510_063909.jpg

20210510_063922.jpg

Jonathan
    Bors and Sky Earth Road like this.
  15. Sky Earth Road

Oddometer:
    Looks great in white! Nice job on the streetfighter headlight & windscreen. Looks like you may have salvaged and re-mounted the instrument cluster? What bars are fitted, CB300F?

Actual ride starts Tuesday June 8th, 2021. Here's the ride map, clockwise starting and ending in Grand Junction, Colorado at upper right; four riding days in all.

[​IMG]

I replaced my tailbag with a waterproof Enduristan unit; really amazed at how excellent it is. Also fitted a Kriega US-20 dry pack. Last thing I need to do is fit a gravel shield for the radiator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, also installed a Tutoro mechanical chain/sprocket oiler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    svo_jon likes this.
  16. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Since you'll be in Escalante, you should check out Hells Backbone.

My wife and I did Hells Backbone, Burr Trail, Moki Dugway and Valley of the Gods in a day in our VW Alltrack (a barely lifted Golf wagon). They're all pretty tame and could probably be done in a sports car (minus Valley of the Gods).
    Sky Earth Road likes this.
  17. Sky Earth Road

Oddometer:
    That's cool; thanks for the tip! Gives us a way to avoid backtracking on 12.

[​IMG]
  18. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The previous owners removed the bodywork and installed the headlight. They said the body parts where held on with a couple zip ties and they were afraid they would blow off the bike on the way home.
    I added the windshield, replaced the top triple clamp with a cb300f clamp and the bars are pro tapers. I plan to fab a bash plate and install some tkc 80's. Also have an adjustable rear shock to go on. If my wife likes it I'll do something for the forks.

Looks like a long ride. How many days? It looks like you have a corban seat? Do you like it?

Thanks
    Jonathan
  19. Sky Earth Road

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it will be a good setup for her.

We’re trailering out from Kentucky over a period of two days, then ride Utah four days, and head back over two days.

The Corbin seat was one of the first things I got. The stock seat foam collapses after a short period of riding, leaving your glutes pinched between your bones and the seat pan. The Corbin will feel hard at first but it conforms somewhat and provides good support. The leather is a bit slippery with nylon gear, so maybe a different (grippier) upholstery would be better.
  20. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks.

Jonathan