1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

CC20 – Riding Cross Country in these weird times

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cug, Sep 14, 2020.

1. RickS

RickS Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You using the free Rever app or the 59 buck premium one?
  2. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That area by cincinnati and south of Columbus is real nice. Then again I live near Chicago, and the map shows how few twisty roads we have.

Enjoy
    cug likes this.
  3. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 14

From Cincinnati, OH to London, KY – it was a lot of fun today. I picked a route that brought me through some beautiful countryside, for me reminiscent of middle European landscapes – lush, green, hilly, rich colors and great riding.

[​IMG]

I was lucky, that the weather held. For a while it looked like it would be raining, but it didn't – it cleared up a bit and the weather was great for riding.

At some point I was heading into a very promising county:

[​IMG]
    It didn't hold that promise though ... ;-)

As I was riding one of the many single lane roads, I came upon this very peaceful cemetery in the middle of the forest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The route took me on a lot of single lane backroads, some turned to hardpacked dirt and gravel for a few miles, it was fine though, no deep gravel or such, which I try to avoid when I'm so heavily packed and have the big cases on.

Since I had a rather complicated route, I wanted to try something new and to not just provide a screenshot, but a way to see the real map. Let me know if there are problems with it.

First the screenshot:

[​IMG]

And then the actual map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1hWf-BNIZ2cmpobNKn7FxJbI5IOXsYAKP&usp=sharing

Tomorrow is undecided yet, I might have to stay here in London, KY, since my right ear canal has become quite tender and is swollen. I'm not used to wearing ear plugs for so many hours a day. If this isn't significantly better tomorrow, I'll stay here another day and see whether it gets better.
    Billy52, Comrade Art, mikegc and 2 others like this.
  4. cug

Oddometer:
    I'm using the paid subscription, but I paid $23.99 for it at a sale earlier this year.
  5. SloDon

SloDon Hey...where am I?

Oddometer:
    The link worked. It was neat to be able zoom in and view your route.

Thanks for the ride report.
    Billy52 and cug like this.
  6. cug

Oddometer:
    This is how I created this:
    1. Import track data from BMW Navigator 6 (Garmin device) to Basecamp.
    2. Combine tracks from today into one.
    3. Export to desktop.
    4. Go to http://maps.google.com and select "Your Places" => "Maps".
    5. Click "Create New".
    6. Import the track as a layer.
    7. Make sure the created map is public and visible for all who have the link.
    I think that's a decent way of doing it. Takes a bit longer but it's nice to be able to look at a route in more detail.
  7. cug

Oddometer:
    So, in case anybody here is geeky enough to be interested in the script I use to enumerate the waypoints from the Rever download so they can be sorted by name in Basecamp, here's the script:

(I use the filename GPXR2B.py – you see this in the examples below.)

Code:
    import sys
    import xml.etree.cElementTree as etree

from pathlib import Path

etree.register_namespace('', 'http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1')

if len(sys.argv) < 2:
        print ('ERROR: \nScript needs a file (or list of files) to work on')
        print ('Example 1: python ' + sys.argv[0] + ' file1.gpx')
        print ('Example 2: python ' + sys.argv[0] + ' file1.gpx file2.gpx')
        print ('Example 3: python ' + sys.argv[0] + ' gpxfiles*.gpx')

exit

for argument in sys.argv[1:]:
        filepath = Path(argument)
        if filepath.exists() and filepath.is_file():
            filename = filepath.name
            outname = filepath.parent / Path('enumerated_' + filename)
            print('Processing: ' + str(filepath) + ' to: ' + str(outname))

try:
                tree = etree.parse(filepath)
            except:
                print('Could not read file: ' + str(filepath))
                continue

i = 1
            for waypoint in tree.iter('{http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1}wpt'):
                name_elem = waypoint.find('{http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1}name')
                name_elem.text = "{:02d}".format(i) + ' ' + name_elem.text
                i = i+1

try:
                tree.write(outname, encoding='utf-8', xml_declaration=True)
            except:
                print('Could not write file:' + outname)
                break
        else:
            print("File not found: " + str(argument))

It does some rudimentary error checking (file exists, can be read, etc), but it's definitely neither well written nor foolproof.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, IT MIGHT DELETE ALL YOUR FILES, GIVE YOU COVID AND DECIMATE YOUR RETIREMENT EARNINGS!

Now, I've been using the base script for a while now, today I just added all the path stuff to handle files that aren't in the same directory as the script, do basic error checking and just generally clean it up. It still produces the same files I've been using (at least I think it does ... ;-)).

To use, you have to have Python installed, I use:

Code:
    Projects/GPXR2B % python --version
    Python 3.8.5
    It can be used like this:

Code:
    Projects/GPXR2B % python GPXR2B.py cc20/2020-09-27\ Day\ 14.gpx
    Processing: cc20/2020-09-27 Day 14.gpx to: cc20/enumerated_2020-09-27 Day 14.gpx
    You can pass in multiple files or mass convert with a wildcard. To understand how to use the enumerated file, go back to my explanation on how I use Rever to Basecamp in this thread.

I've actually made the script a single file executable (on macOS) via:

Code:
    Projects/GPXR2B % pyinstaller --clean -n gpxr2b --onefile GPXR2B.py
    And copying the executable into my path.

If all of the above sounds like UNIX to you, it should be easy enough. If it sounds like garbage, you might not want to use it. If it's somewhere in-between, feel free to ask.

The script and the macOS executable can be downloaded here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cssl7twuat4aq1p/gpxr2b_download.tgz?dl=0

[Note that you DO NOT have to create a Dropbox account, just close that sub-window and download the file via the little download symbol in the upper right]

If you use a different OS, you cannot use the executable, you'll have to use the script itself and create an executable or just as with 'python GPXR2B.py ...'!
    Covert likes this.
  8. cug

Oddometer:
    As you can see by my efforts above, I've decided to put in another quiet day. And I mean this literally, I couldn't stand ear plugs today and my tinnitus was going bonkers, so I needed some quiet time without the plugs. Decided it's as good a time as any to work out the kinks of the script and add some error checking.
  9. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which ear plugs have you been using. I tried out earpeace this year and satisfied with them sofar.
  10. cug

Oddometer:
  11. cug

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 16

Since it was raining most of the ride today, I didn't take any photos. Also, because of my ear issues, I've only done a short hop to Knoxville, TN.

The rain was light, but pretty much during the whole ride. Sometimes just some drops, sometimes a slight shower. Wasn't too bad though. The only annoying thing was drinking. My drinking tube is in the tank bag and that was under the rain cover ... so, only during stops today. No big deal, the whole ride today was only three hours.

Trying something new today with the map.

Update: bummer, can't include an embedded map as it seem, so here's the link:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1EBvU-E9Rs5GBnzQmymwEQOu7FnggD-d4&usp=sharing
    Callisto224 likes this.
  12. cug

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 17

One of the bucket list items done:

[​IMG]
    Tail of the Dragon

I rode the "Tail of the Dragon" – a section of US 129 just East of Knoxville, TN. It's a really fun road to ride, with 318 curves in 11 miles. It would have been really awesome with less traffic though. There were some cars, but these generally pulled to the side when a motorcycle approached from the rear, the "bigger" hurdle were other motorcycles, namely big touring bikes from Harley Davidson, sometimes in groups of 5 to 8 bikes. A single bike is easy to pass, the groups have been rather annoying since they were really slow and didn't pull over because they were not aware of someone following the last one in the group (and probably didn't realize how impressively slow they were).

On the other hand, these guys are tremendously skilled at slow speed cornering, I was nearly falling over trying to go the same speed through some of the turns. I stopped a few times to let them get ahead, but in the end they were so slow, it took only a dozen curves or so to catch up again. One of the sections I rode twice because I really liked the left/right changes and I had one of these groups in front of me the first time.

But anyways, it was fun, but not something I'm going to repeat, the road is nice, but not nice enough to deal with the other traffic.

[​IMG]
    At the "Killboy" store, a photographer selling shots from riders on the Dragon

I got some stickers, and that was it.

[​IMG]
    Great Smoky Mountains

Since I'm staying for two nights in the same hotel in Knoxville, I took the case off and put the bike into "hooligan mode" for today – with the master hooligan still on board:

[​IMG]
    Side Cases off

[​IMG]
    The Hooligan

It's really a beautiful area. I continued on "Moonshiners 28", a faster, less tight road and onto Cherohala Skyway, another road that is less tight and asks for faster speeds to be fun. There was a lot less traffic on these two roads and so I definitely had some fun there.

[​IMG]
    Along Cherohala Skyway, near Tellico Beach

It was a great ride today.

[​IMG]
    Click here to go to the real map
    Comrade Art, mikegc, BJMoose and 2 others like this.
  13. cug

Oddometer:
  14. rdbonds

rdbonds Breaker of Things

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised that a Wednesday was crowded on 129. Weekends are absolutely brutal there for the reasons you outline. Car clubs also frequent the road on weekends, so it's not uncommon to round a blind corner and find that a Miata/Mustang/Porsche is utilizing half your lane. :)

If you get a chance, Joyce Kilmer Road (the little road on the NW edge of Lake Santeetlah) is a nice one. Tight and technical, very little traffic, although a bit of a pigtrail, since while paved, it's a tad on the rough side. Lots of fun.
    cug likes this.
  15. cug

Oddometer:
    I was surprised as well. It wasn't "packed" but busy enough to run up against groups of cruisers / touring bikes or cars all the time. And even the slow ones weren't able to stay in their own lane, disgusting.

I'll take a look at the map and see whether it fits my route! Thanks for the hint!
  16. cug

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 18

Since my ears are still giving me some trouble with the ear plugs, I'm riding shorter days and take more breaks. I need to get this settled before I start my journey back to California. I might waste some of the rear tire tread, since I had the appointment planned for about 1000 miles more, but it is what it is now. I'm better off riding less and getting better.

Regarding the ear plugs, I'm switching back and forth between NoNoise re-usable plugs and Howard Leight Max Foam plugs, both have their advantages and downsides, although I think I have actually less issues with the re-usable ones right now.

Today I rode from Knoxville, Tennessee to Asheville, North Carolina via Little River Gorge and Route 441 as well as a short part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Again, some of the roads were very busy, Little River Gorge was pretty much one continuous traffic jam ... It got better on 441 and even Blue Ridge Parkway was much better. So far, I can only say the roads here are great, but riding them is a lot less fun than it could be. Great nature, but it would be better enjoyed from something inherently boring ...

[​IMG]
    Along Blue Ridge Parkway
    So far, so good.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of taking a closer look at Asheville itself. Basically take an Uber or Lyft ride into town and walk around a bit with a camera. So, likely no riding tomorrow.

Route from today:

[​IMG]
    Day 18 Route (click for map)
    Comrade Art and mikegc like this.
  17. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @cug I wonder if your ears would be any happier with a set of noise cancelling AirPods, or (Bose?) earbuds? Not sure how that would work for you with a helmet over them...
    Sidewaysxr and cug like this.
  18. cug

Oddometer:
    They possibly would be – but those don't fit with the helmet as far as I know. At some point I was thinking about a Sena Noise Cancelling helmet and one day I might try one, but I have to really try on a helmet to see whether it fits ...
  19. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am aware of a few riders who use either the Bose or Apple EarPods. Might be worth a try. I doubt that it'll work for everyone, but you might get lucky.
    cug likes this.
  20. cug

Oddometer: