1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

CC20 – Riding Cross Country in these weird times

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cug, Sep 14, 2020.

1. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 19

Today was an "off-bike" day. Spent the day walking through Asheville, NC. It's a really nice city, I like it here. No photos today since I took the film camera to have some old school fun.

Tomorrow, I have an appointment at Eurosport Asheville to get a new rear tire. After that I'll slowly start making my way North. Will be in Alexandria, VA, from Tuesday evening to Thursday morning, after that my way home starts.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  2. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you need anything while in Alexandria up to an including a place to stay, just reach out.
  3. cug

Oddometer:
    @Carlisja – thanks so much for the other. I have a hotel booked from Tue to Thu.

What about meeting up for a coffee or such? I also have four days to get to Alexandria, I'll probably do some loops, although I haven't planned much since I just don't know how much I can ride every day at this point.
  4. Carlisja

Oddometer:

I am always game for that. I teach school from 8 until 4 each day but after or before that works.
    cug likes this.
  5. cug

Oddometer:
    I'll arrive Tuesday afternoon, if that works for you, I'm game.
    Carlisja likes this.
  6. Sidewaysxr

Sidewaysxr Ass, gas, or grass nobody rides free.

Oddometer:
    I’ve found noise cancelling AirPods work great and no problem under my helmet. I wear a head sock to they don’t pop out and fall to the ground when removing the bucket.
    cug likes this.
  7. cug

Oddometer:
    In my helmet, the Sena speakers intrude too much into the space. I’ll have to experiment when I get back.
  8. cug

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 20

I've been on the road for nearly three weeks now. About a week ago I made an appointment with Eurosport in Asheville to get a new rear tire – under the assumption that I'd ride roughly about as much as I had planned. Reality got in the way and I rode about 800 miles less than I had planned. Still, I kept the appointment, wasting some rubber on the rear tire, but since it will definitely not survive a ride back home, I needed a new tire anyways.

The rear tire I had on for the last 8100km / 5000 miles still looked good and I felt slightly sad to replace it today.

[​IMG]
    Rear tire after 5000 miles

At least the tire shows that I found a good mix of curvy roads while still making quite some distance over the last 19 days. There just less than half a millimeter tread left to the wear markers in the center, a bit more on the sides. Not too shabby, the tire would have lasted the distance I was actually planning to ride on it, just around 6000 miles.

The front is still good:

[​IMG]
    Front tire after 5000 miles

I hope the front will last another 4000 miles which should get me comfortably back home.

The riding today was great. It was cold most of the day, it was under 10C/50F for around two thirds of my ride. The heated jacket was really worth it! It kept me warm and comfortable, although I did have cold fingers.

The routing led me down some weird roads though:

[​IMG]
    Weird routing ...

I had selected "paved roads only" for the routing and that didn't work out ... ;-) I had to turn around since the "road" was closed a little farther in.

[​IMG]
    Near US 421 "The Snake"

US 421, nicknamed "The Snake" is a wonderful motorcycle road. Curvy, not too tight, not too fast. It has a rather low speed limit which I adhered to, of course, ... cough ... mostly.

After the one day the new rear tire is scrubbed in:

[​IMG]
    Rear after about 200 miles

That's one reason why I love the Continental tires, they stick from the first moment on without any issues.

The route looks a little weird – I rode "The Snake" first South East and then decided it was so good, much better than the rest of the loop I had planned, I rode it back North West. It was a lot of fun ... I liked it more than "Tail of the Dragon" since there was nearly no traffic here and I also liked it much more than the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is also much busier. the side roads are where the fun is, as it is so often.

[​IMG]
    Route Day 20 (Click for real map)
    Velko, Comrade Art and mikegc like this.
  9. cug

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 21

My skill at finding donkey trails came forward again ... my routing led me over some very nice backroads again, some of them unpaved, for whatever reason.

[​IMG]
    Some miles unpaved roads, no problems

And with donkey trail, I mean donkey trail:

[​IMG]
    Donkeys along the backroads

I saw donkeys multiple times today, stopped for these ... they were a bit careful at first, but then came closer and let me scratch their little ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nice backroads

At some point I ended up on Blue Ridge Parkway again, but just a few miles later it was close and I had to switch to a detour. Since I didn't know for how far the Parkway was closed, I decided to just take the fastest route to the hotel I had booked. Wasn't an issue, since I had already done about 3/4 of the way today.

[​IMG]
    Day 21 Route Link
  10. cug

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 22

On a cross-country trip I really had to go to the coast, there was no way around it. So I bit the bullet and rode the roughly 200 miles of rather boring roads to the coast at Virginia Beach, VA. It took me just over three weeks to ride this:

[​IMG]
    Sunnyvale, CA to Virginia Beach, VA

So far it has been an awesome trip. Some problems (ears, cuts), but overall it was an enjoyable, fun, just great motorcycle trip.

[​IMG]
    Virginia Beach, VA

It was great to see the ocean again. I just love sitting on the beach and staring at the water. And leaving my mark:

[​IMG]
    Imprint

Virginia Beach is a VERY touristy place. Touristy in the meaning of "cheap tourism". Right now, most of the restaurants are closed, but when looking at the selection and the feedback on them, it becomes very clear what type of location it is. Didn't matter to me, I just needed a destination close not too far away from my last in Lynchburg.

Since it's out of season right now, I was able to find a reasonable deal on a nice Bed & Breakfast place, where I got my first decent coffee in three weeks:

[​IMG]
    Coffee
    It was about time ...

The route today was really just to get me here:

[​IMG]
    Day 22 Route
    Comrade Art and Huckwheat like this.
  11. Carlisja

Oddometer:
    From your current location, a good route to Alexandria is to take US17 north to US1 north. Stop in at the Marine Corps Museum as you pass Quantico (it is open) then take US1 all the way to Alexandria.

https://www.usmcmuseum.com/
    JimVonBaden and cug like this.
  12. cug

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice route, I'll do that! Thanks for the tip!
  13. cug

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 23

Nothing special today, I rode from Virginia Beach, VA, to Alexendria,VA – just short of Washington, DC. Tomorrow I'll do the 12k miles service that is due now and then on Thursday will start my way back home. This will likely be a much quicker and more direct ride, especially since I'll be trying to beat Hurricane Delta through part of its predicted way ...

[​IMG]
    Day 23 Route
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  14. Carlisja

Oddometer:
    Great meeting you today. Tell JVB I said Hi. If you need anything while in town, call.
    JimVonBaden and cug like this.
  15. cug

Oddometer:
    And great meeting you! Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. Same for you if you're in the San Francisco / San Jose area.
  16. cug

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 24

This was a day without actual riding (other than about half a mile around the block).

Since I rode nearly 6000 miles on this trip so far, the bike was due for a service. This was actually the "large" 12k miles (20.000km) service, including valve check. All of the valves were within specs. So far so good.

The cam shift mechanism isn't as complicated as I though it would be, the cams have two lobes and the shift mechanism just moves the cam over to the one that is to be used for the current riding condition:

[​IMG]
    Shift Cam Valve Train

The engine does a great job hiding the shifting process in terms of power delivery, but certainly not in terms of sound. It can be especially annoying when riding under cruise control and going at a speed that has the engine close the typical shifting point and then every slight incline/decline in the terrain will make the engine shift over the cams and mine makes a "popping" noise when this happens. Slightly annoying, it sounds like it has digestion issues ...

Tomorrow I'll try to get an early start to beat Hurricane Delta – I need to ride across its projected path and be west of it by Saturday. Otherwise I might get into some seriously bad weather. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though, I just hope my ears won't give me issues.
    Covert and JimVonBaden like this.
  17. ken williams

ken williams motoken

Oddometer:
    sunny warm 12 months riding St Pete Fl. USA
    This is your Ride, but 380 in that power house is a bit too little I have a side car on my 650 yamaha and have been known to do 800 miles really too much should keep at 450. . i just love to ride. so you must hang out a lot and meet a lot of great people. .
    then that is your business and just be safe. thanks for your ride reports. motoken
  18. cug

Oddometer:
    Ash. Yes. Or so. :-)
  19. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your journey. Are you going to take HWY 50? It's a straight shot to California.
    cug likes this.
  20. cug

Oddometer:
    I just tried to beat the storm. More later.