1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

CC20 – Riding Cross Country in these weird times

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cug, Sep 14, 2020.

1. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 25

If you are following the news, you might have seen the reports on Hurricane Delta reaching the US. I was East of it and didn't want to get into massive rainfall on my way west, so the motto today was: get west of the storm.

And that's pretty much what I did:

[​IMG]
    Day 25 Route

I had this as my guide:

[​IMG]
    NOAA Screenshot for Delta

The NOAA app gave me a prediction for the storm path for Thursday and Friday and I planned my ride accordingly.

And since I already had quite a distance to ride, I decided to turn it into a full 1000 mile day. I didn't get the witnesses to make an IronButt Saddle Sore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours) ride, but that wasn't my goal anyways, I don't need the "badge", it was just fun to complete the 1000 miles. I had done this distance before, but that's a long time ago.

Here are the statistics:

[​IMG]
    Day 25 Ride Statistics

It was actually fairly easy. I left at 5:40 in the morning in Alexandria and arrived around midnight in Lebanon, MO (I got two hours back due to time zones). Had a good lunch break and most fuel stops turned into a short break. And since I was pushing the bike on the freeway I had to fill up quite a few times, six to be precise. Could have been okay with five, but I didn't "optimize" it, instead just filled when I felt like it.

And since I didn't stop much, I only have one photo from the day:

[​IMG]
    Comrade Art, Velko, rdbonds and 3 others like this.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a LONG day!
    Velko and cug like this.
  3. cug

Oddometer:
    It was. I didn’t set out to go this far though. The plan was to try for St. Louis, but I’d have been okay in Louisville. In the end, I just filled the tank again and kept on moving.

Better get it over with and be in the clear regarding Delta. I’ll make my way through Oklahoma and Northern Texas to New Mexico and then will take more time again.
    JimVonBaden and Velko like this.
  4. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you can make the time to detour farther south, ma I recommend Big Bend State Park and the surrounding area.
  5. cug

Oddometer:
    I do have the time, but I'm a bit driven to ride home. It's a bit out of my way. Still thinking and planning though.
  6. cug

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 26

After yesterday's long distance ride, I wanted to take it a bit slower today and ride some backroads as well. So, my extraordinary routing skills got me into miles of this again:

[​IMG]
    Unpaved Backroads
    It was mostly hard packed gravel, only a few sections were deeper gravel or a bit softer underground. Overall I managed okay, although my really worn front tire certainly didn't help. That tire has 7000 miles on it now and has only marginal tread left. Okay for dry roads, but certainly not anything else. It'll likely get me home but will then be at the legal limit or even worse. Shouldn't be a problem though. Straight home would be around 1700 miles or 2700km, but I'm likely taking some nicer roads, which will add some distance and I believe the tire will manage that. If not, I'll find a shop to change it along the way.

Now, back to today, I didn't want to ride all that much, so ended up doing 335 miles / 540km, some backroads, some freeway, and I ended up in Tulsa, OK. For the next day or two, I'll have some really boring roads in front of me to cross Oklahoma and the Northern part of Texas, then I can find some nicer roads again in New Mexico and Arizona.

Missouri was interesting, I didn't expect the variety in scenery.

[​IMG]
    Missouri, West Ozarks

[​IMG]
    Missouri, West Ozarks

[​IMG]
    Missouri

Regarding Hurricane Delta, I successfully avoided rain/wind or even getting stuck somewhere. I'm now west of the storm and should be okay for the rest of the trip.

This is the projected storm path for tomorrow, I'm safely West of it:

[​IMG]
    The storm path from there will be going East, I'll be heading West.

On the practical side, since I was too tired to clean my windshield and lights from bugs last night, I ended up with some wet rags this morning and found a good way to dry them while riding. Just strapped to the top case and all was good after a very short time:

[​IMG]
    Drying microfiber rags while riding
    Overall, it was a decent ride today.

[​IMG]
    Route Day 26
    Comrade Art and BJMoose like this.
  7. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Head straight out the end of the Oklahoma panhandle through the town of Kenton on Oklahoma 325, turns into New Mexico 456 and then through the town of Folsom then west on NM 72, beautiful lonesome roads through the Mesa country. Unique country.
    cug likes this.
  8. cug

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting. I'll take a look.
  9. Carlisja

Oddometer:

brings to mind a song with Germany connections for me. Was in the little town of Deggendorf on the Donau river with some relatives at a bierstubel (sp?) and they were singing this song. Later, one of them asked me to explain what Tulsa time is.
    cug likes this.
  10. cug

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 27

Nothing special today, Tulsa, Oklahoma to Amarillo, Texas. It was a boring freeway ride.

[​IMG]
    Texas

It wasn't a long day, about 370 miles.

[​IMG]
    Route Day 27
  11. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    The important thing is that you got to Amarillo by morning.:D
    Good RR. Thanks for sharing the adventure.
    cug likes this.
  12. Carlisja

Oddometer:

traveling music. I think Niel Peart wrote a book about this.
    cug likes this.
  13. cug

Oddometer:
    Carlisja likes this.
  14. cug

Oddometer:
    I was humming that song half the way here ... ;-)
  15. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
  16. cug

Oddometer:
    I saw the ads for it, but that's really not for me. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat a lot of meat – that size would make me sick about a 1/3 in.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  17. cug

Oddometer:
    CC20 - Day 28

Today was a rather miserable day. I was basically heading into a strong headwind for 300 miles through rather desolate landscape. Midway, I decided to cut out the backroads, since they weren't that much nicer and only took longer and were just as miserable to ride. Had my worst fuel mileage today with 7L/100km (33.6mpg) and that was while going way below speed limit and crouching behind the windshield. I was happy when I was at my destination.

[​IMG]
    Backroads in New Mexico

[​IMG]
    Route Day 28
    mikegc, BJMoose and Comrade Art like this.
  18. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @cug How is the front tire holding up?
  19. cug

Oddometer:
    So far so good. I'm 12,700km or 7900 miles into the ride and the front tire still has legal tread depth. I'll see whether I can get it changed in Las Vegas this coming week since I'm taking the "longish" way home. I have about 700 to 900 miles to get to LV, a bit depending on weather, if it stays so extremely windy, I'll take a shorter route. Then another chunk home. The tire could possibly make it all the way, just not sure about it.

The other thing is that I don't know what I'd want to put on right now. I might want to put something with more negative tread on for "adventures" after this one, but on the other hand I enjoy road riding. Will have to see what's available.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wind riding sucks almost as bad as hard rain!
    mikegc likes this.