CCM 450 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ktmmitch, Jan 21, 2013.

1. sanqhar

sanqhar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Iain.

My mounting is W/M type.
    I have some slightly thicker aluminium and will first try making a replacement.
    However I will probably end up with your idea.

Thanks again

Tom
  2. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I didn't realise this thread was in existance, I was on the facebook site, but only left because of my hatred of facebook.
    I altered my bash plate with modified car suspension bushes between the plate and the engine mounts, first attempt the bolts snapped flush with the engine from vibration, this was after a 1000 mile all road trip at 65mph, when I checked the bolts were not high tensile, GP is still going strong, 8000 miles plus, 5000 by me , zero reliability issues other than a flat battery prior to getting to know the bike(never happened since employing the three button push method) I now carry a small cheap recharge pack just in case. Imho there is still nothing close to this bike out there and I still do not understand CCM and their decision to stop production and not supply USA?. Mine is a keeper, just need to ensure I make the time to use it more.
    Garry
    Paul_C likes this.
  3. Pepperbox

Pepperbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, mine is still going strong and apart from a fractured exhaust header pipe and slightly random oil consumption, mine has taken plenty of punishment without any issues. As you say, the combination of light weight, reasonable power and range makes this a handy motorcycle for long offroad trips. The reason they discontinued was Euro 4 regs which required improved emissions, some other engine mods and ABS. Getting the bike type approved for the USA was also a step too far. The current Spitfires are targeted at the UK only and are individually approved so no need for EU type approval. There is talk of trying to use the current 600 single in a new GP but unless they can keep the weight at around 125kg dry, there will be too much competition. There are lots of options at the 600cc+ >150kg level although they all seem to be getting porky and road oriented.

Sadly, the costs of developing modern engines and electronics are likely to be beyond small manufacturers.

The price of used 450s is coming down which makes them a very reasonable buy secondhand.
  4. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the three button push method?
  5. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What confuses me is how euro 4 emmissions apply to the states?, I am also not convinced by the gp600, as you say it will have a lot of competition at that weight, I intend running mine on 1000 mile fully synthetic oil changes with a filter every other and see if I get to 30000 before pulling apart
    Garry
  6. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turn on the ignition , press the starter 3 seperate times which initiates the lithium battery giving full cranking power, works on my sons sxf 350 as well
  7. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    Euro 4 doesn’t apply to the states but they have their own version of type approval which requires bikes have a certificate of conformity. Many of the requirements will be the same but, there’s cost and time required to apply, get bikes tested and make any necessary changes. Not too bad for the big boys but a challenge for a few blokes in Bolton...
  8. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    I would love to see CCM strike a deal with Honda and see what they can offer with the CB500X engine for a next gen adventure machine
  9. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    Sometimes just the headlamp drain will be enough to wake the battery up. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the protection circuitry needs triggering when the bike hasn’t been used for a while or the ambient temperature is low. I keep mine on a Ctek charger to avoid disappointment. Lots of reports of this but nothing in any technical papers.
  10. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    Nice idea. Shame the Honda CRF450L seems so wrong with 2 inches less ground clearance than the CCM, just 25bhp and under 8 vs 20 litres of fuel, and 600 mile oil changes (granted the CCM probably burns through a lot of its oil so gets replaced early by default). Consider the add-ons needed to get to adventure spec and the CCM looks like good vfm. Perhaps CCM can show them how to build a chassis...

Interesting to note the amount of work required to reduce overall noise for certification.
  11. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Lets not even discuss the CRF450L it is huge let down, the CBX500 motor have the magic I think, twin cylinder fuel injection long service intervals maybe a different sump design to give you a little more ground clearance
    The guys build themselves the CRF500L where they shoehorn this power-plant into the CRF250L chassis, they chop the bottom of the sump off to improve ground clearance
    Like the man says 246 easy steps that is excluding the wiring
  12. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It would certainly work for the road, but is a relatively heavy set up for the kind of terrain the gp450 finds easy, I thought about shoehorning the old cb500f engine in to an mx chassis but never got round to it. I did it once with a gxr 750 m engine in a cagiva elefant 350, that was interesting lol
  13. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know what you are saying but If a g450x made it stateside then surely with the eagerly waiting market it would have been worth the investment needed, the same goes for the euro 4 emissions work needed, Ithink Austens offroad influence is now sadly diminished and the easy pounds of the spitfire project seem to have taken center stage
  14. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lithium batterries are not really meant to be trickle charged as there is very little current loss, if you disconnect a battery lead or fit an isolator switch it should never loose its charge(not in really cold conditions) the starter push wakes the dormant battery up and returns it to full cranking amps, I have left mine unattended for 8 weeks without issue
  15. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Common issue with lithium's when they are a bit cold they struggle a bit running the light for a minute warms it up
  16. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It starts really easy with the jump pack £21 from ebay and now a permanent resident in my tool pack, the worst bit was taking the seat off with the spinning nut, now modified with a through bolt , drilled and nut with a small r clip. I would still prefer a kick start as well but obviously never available for this engine, out of interest I failed to bump it even down a steep hill
  17. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    I think part of the problem is everyone’s requirement for an off-road bike is different. One bike that meets all of them well is a big challenge. Personally, I want something that will fit down a UK green lane or enduro single track, can hop over logs and climb steps, but will also cover reasonable road distances while keeping up with traffic. It also needs to carry a reasonable amount of stuff, have a fuel range of 200+ miles, be fixable on the trail and run for weeks between services. A 450 is perfect for this, as is the GP450 frame but the tanks are complex (making trail fixes awkward) and there are a few questions over durability. A small twin would be good for power delivery but adds complexity and probably some weight. Any bigger motor will improve road performance but will make nadgery trails a challenge.

Ideally, a configurable bike with gearing that allows trail performance and has 5th and 6th gears for high speed and engine maps that can switch between trail and road, performance and economy modes, as well as the ability to add on auxiliary tanks (similar to the Dutch outfit products for the Husqvarna 701) which strip off easily for maintenance.

I suspect a manufacturer that targets the US market first to attract volume then moves to other markets would stand more chance of success.

I suspect CCM were taken a bit by surprise with the Spitfire and who wouldn’t take advantage of a market while it exists? Hopefully the GP450 has taught them some useful lessons (design, quality, service etc.) and the Spitfire makes them hungry for volume (profits). Then they’ll need to come up with something good that also needs volume sales over a decent period of time. I just hope they keep it small.
  18. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    I’ve always thought KTMs looked a bit agricultural (frame, electricity etc.) and have a preference for Husqvarna but, this looks like a good spec https://therollinghobo.com/2019/06/...115019037&mc_cid=0e087e5cc5&mc_eid=c55dfd8593
  19. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a bit of a husky/husaberg fan and although I understand why KTM did what they did, I will never quite forgive them, I have an early 950 adventure s for the longer more road and open trail trips, but can never get as comfortable as I can on the Gp, my longest day in the saddle on the gp was 15 hours with an airhawk , nowhere near that on the 950, so ergonomically the gp fits me perfectly. The tanks I am looking at with possibly removing the fairing and front tanks for greenlane and single track where I don't need the range and redesigning the rear tank mounts with a sliding nut to allow easy fitting after removal on longer trips. I have seen a report from someone rtw on a 500exc that is reported to be on 85000km on the original engine. Imo KTM copied Husqvarna technology for the rfs engine including the wide ratio gearbox with the overdrive 6th gear, something Husqvarna inexplicably lost in 2004. If the gp front tanks were addressed and an overdrive 6th allowing 70mph with ease I would be a happy bunny, but I don't want more weight and that chassis is a thing of beauty

Attached Files:

20. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    tbh the only answer is more bikes. I have an old Beta Rev 3 250, the GP450, the Spitfire for sunny day fly catching, Multistrada for mile munching and a Yamaha BW350, currently on a boat from the US, for giggles. Now hankering after an FE350 Husky for the lanes and a Metisse Desert Sled to stare at. Then I need a 701 to prove my manhood. Also waiting for a viable electric off reader. Now I need to move house to find space for the herd. Oh, and get some skills...