CCM 450 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ktmmitch, Jan 21, 2013.

1. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 for the skills and the need for several bikes, although I have slimmed down my "fleet" to the gp, 950s and xr400, so many have gone and I am once again obsessing about the perfect one that simply doesn't exist. How do you find the husky/swm engine?
  2. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like what the ccm looks like, but let's be honest: its ground clearance is really something special, the honda is on par with most enduro bikes.. should be plenty enough. And it has 2 inches more suspension travel. 25 bhp is an euro 4 (or 5) joke, the US version has ~40 rwheel hp with everything the same (only different ecu and air intake manifold). And the Honda is available outside UK :D
  3. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the honda, but I think they missed the point by a country mile, small fuel tank, no weather protection, 600 mile service and more weight, what is it going to weigh when all the dollars have been spent converting it?. I was hoping for a 450 engine based on the 250l with outstanding fuel consumption but more power, better chassis and suspension but with more fuel capacity and a small amount of weather protection. Standard it is not an adventure bike, something the gp is straight out the crate for the same price and hp. Previous hondas xr650r, crf250r, crf250x and still currently owned a favourite xr400, just in case people mistake my post as a brand basher, not at all, just hopefully subjective. As previously posted I think CCM made a big mistake in not getting the gp to the USA .
  4. Pepperbox

Pepperbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 600 is loosening up nicely. It has plenty of mid range grunt and the bike is light so perfect for single lane roads. There is plenty of vibration that combines with the thin saddle to occasionally have an odd effect on the sphincter...
  5. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, I in a perfectly "straight" way, I know exactly what you mean, the husky 570 had no balance shaft and went over the ton!
  6. uglymr

uglymr n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there, anyone knows if the chain sliders are CCM OEM parts or off any other motorcycle brand? I live in Switzerland and shipping/customs cost from abroad is killing me. So it would help a lot if I could get them from a motorcycle dealer in my country. Thanks in advance.
  7. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid I don't know.

If you find out, please let us know.
    It would be good to get a list of donor bikes and part numbers for the various parts that are used on other bikes.

The engine is easy enough (BMW g450x or Husky 449), but lights, windshield, front fender, rear fender, brakes etc. They are probably all used on at least one other bike and it's good to have a choice on where to purchase.

It would also open up the possibility of bolt-on after market accessories/upgrades.
  9. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry don't know, I will be looking to modify mine as chain tension is an issue on long journeys, mine does not have the cush drive and needs adustment every 250 miles to prevent contact with the swing arm, as drumbrakes said it would be good to have a full parts cross over list if anyone has the time or inclination.
  10. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    slider may well be a parts bin special ..but the swingarm is deffo bespoke to the ccm ..adjusting the chain every 250miles seems a lot ..i ran me first ccm with no cush for 18 months and it wernt anywhere near as bad as that but it killed the chain quite quick ..the cush helps a very lot in that department ...
  11. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably my tight arse Yorkshire man mentality not accepting I have killed my chain, the sprockets are fine though, best stick a new chain on, any recommendations gratefully recieved?
  12. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    id avoid regina chain for sure ...i opt for did extream ...think its ZVMX seems to hold up ok .....good quality x ring is desriable i think..id deffo change the front sprocket ..the supersprox rears seem to be very wear resistant ..but the front wont do you any favours if you leave it on ...
  13. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Minkyhead, I should go cush drive really, do you notice any difference offroad?, or alternatively buy a good quality replacement as you have been good enough to suggest and see how that goes first, do you know front sprocket compatability?
  14. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    the opposite its much smoother an quiter on the road ...g450x fronts will fit they come in 13 14 15
  15. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks minkyhead, not blowing up your arse, but your help and unbiased advice has been a really help on various forums. I am sat here in my 50 acre unused enduro practice heaven, finca in Catalonia surrounded by countless trails thinking wouldn't it be good for a gp450 gettogether?
    Paul_C likes this.
  16. magwych

magwych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that sounds like a good idea....the get-together that is, not blowing up Minkyhead's arse.
    smudger096 and Paul_C like this.
  17. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 450 engines are now out of production, apparently someone at CCM forgot to renew the order.
    I would reckon that the whole CCM spitfire Bobber thing will Collapse soon
  18. Pepperbox

Pepperbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AJP have beaten them to it with the PJ7 which looks like it uses the Spitfire engine. Being a small business and politics going the way it is, they, like everyone else, have to earn what they can when they can. The UK market is probably just large enough to keep a business their size afloat for now.
  19. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    The CCM with the 600 engine would have dealt with the major weakness of the 450, the CCM was always an adventure bike compared to the AJP which is more of a trail bike IMHO....
  20. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just wish they would get on with developing the GP600...

They are working on it, just very slowly.