CCM 450 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ktmmitch, Jan 21, 2013.

1. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They use the husky 630 engine in the spitfires, so wont affect them. I like the bmw/kymco engine, if you stay off the motorways its perfectly usable and fun.
  2. magwych

magwych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, last time I was at the factory I asked about it.
    I was proudly shown a 3/4 built chassis shoved into a corner witj Spitfire parts stacked around and on it.
    Don't hold your breath for that
  3. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes its all Carl Fogarty and Spitfires at CCM. Just out of interest I just bought a husaberg 570, what an engine, beautiful usable power, lots of it and a gearbox to die for with that all important sixth gear and a wide ratio box and sat on the shelf at KTM, such a shame, I keep looking at it to see if it would fit lol
  4. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The spitfire apparantly started out as a tea-break project.
    It does now seem that they've switched round, and Sunny Day leisure bikes are the main CCM commercial focus, and the GP / off-road stuff is now a spare time task.
    However, they have several full time design engineers.
    All the Spitfire versions we know about have been designed already, so what are they working on now?
  5. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    mot dot test last week..passed ok ..its 5 years now since the gp450 was delivered ...i think it may be another 5 years before we see another ...if then ...ccm situation kind of shows up the real problem with small adv bikes
    ..i havnt got the proper figures but they made and sold around 400 gp450s over threeand ahlf years ,,,they displayed the spitfire and sold the whole lot in a week ..and then went on to make ..scrambles bobbers ect and sold all of them in advance

most of them will be trophy bikes with minmal use so warranty claims will be at a minimun ..
    from a buisness point of view it makes sense ..my only hope is the spitfires will fund another dip into the adv bike market as ccms dna is in dirtbikes but the money it seems is not ..

kind of shows how small the market is ..
  6. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    When did you see that chassis?
    I saw it at the end of March. I think with some forks attached? It was surrounded with assembled spitfires and parts (Every corner of the factory was filled with Spitfires and parts) but there was nothing stacked on it, and looked as if it was waiting to get built up.

They seem overly keen to reduce chassis weight to offset the heavier engine.
    I've suggested a few times that the pannier/luggage frames would be a good place to start. The extra steelwork on my bike already weighs more than the entire alloy frame and weight positioned high up at the back is not good for balance and handling.

I'd be happy with an extra 10kg of low down central weight in return for a more civilised engine.

(I'd gladly add an extra 20kg of low down central weight with the current engine, for road riding on a windy day)
  7. Pepperbox

Pepperbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The AJP PR7 has the Spitfire motor and weighs in at 156kg without fuel. Being a US outfit they already meet US regs have a head start on meeting EU regs. With a price around £8500 it looks like CCM may have missed the boat. It's a competitive package but too heavy to tempt me away from the GP450 (it won't fit on my bike rack). If they can shave a further 25kg they would have a real advantage but otherwise, I suspect they'll focus on the weekender market for now. As Minkyhead says, you have to make what you can sell and that is even more true in a fragmenting and contracting market
  8. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aren’t AJP based in Portugal?

I’m always looking for a more road based bike, fuel capacity and height are real constraints.

The main issue with the current range of CCMs seems to be getting approval for each individual bike and it really constrains getting proper delivery dates. Getting proper EU type approval seems to be beyond the capacity of a small firm like CCM, and many countries outside the EU (Vietnam for instance) are using the EU standards as a basis for their own regulations.
  9. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    Yes, definitely a Portuguese company. They only had a couple of US dealers when the wife was considering a PR3 for our TAT trip.
  10. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    You're completely correct about AJP being Portuguese. My first search for the PR7 found a US website that played down the foreign ownership. It seems AJP received considerable investment in 2009 from a VC that has specific objectives of promoting Portuguese industries with international aspirations. The choice for CCM will be to take advantage of niche market opportunities in the UK or make the step change to being able to offer a range of models with the approvals necessary to penetrate wider markets. The latter option is high risk, will require investment and a dilution of ownership and a probably change of management. I think I can guess which the Clews will go for.
  11. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had a serious look into doing the Trans Canada Trail?
  12. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    Yes I've looked into it.
    I have the TCAT gps tracks. looks to be some very long stretches of bland forest road (so wide that 2 logging trucks can blast past in opposite directions).

The wife would rather just do the Western TAT again, probably Starting from Colorado, but avoiding Nevada and taking the newer Idaho route from utah to Colorado.

Ian B has ridden the TCAT on his GP450:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-gentle-bimble-across-canada.1232742/
  13. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    One handy thing about Canada is that Air Canada will "ship" a motorbike as oversized baggage on their larger passenger jets. You need to book the bike in advance and arrive at the airport quite a lot earlier to get it checked in and palleted, but you can be on the same flight as your bike.
    Paul_C likes this.
  14. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    Yes, The spitfire demographic seem to like a boutiquey quirky bike. Less concerned with reliability, durability, corrosion resistance etc than adv bike buyers. I doubt many will be used for long travel, or commuting, and even the scramblers are unlikely to see an unpaved road, so they'll have a gently life with fewer warranty issues. Nice money for CCM if they can just get the bikes built and tested.

A 600cc is a more respectable size for traditional adv bike riders, so might get more consideration than the 450 which was dismissed by most as an over-priced dirt bike.

The question I kept being asked at the RallyMoto 500s this year was about motorway cruising speeds. I rode 260 miles each way on the stock tyres to get to the Wales 500, yet big KTM, Africa Twin and GS rides who had brought their bikes by van or trailer from closer locations, dismiss it because 70mph on the motorway isn't fast enough for them.

A bike does need a certian amount of bulk and weight to be a good motorway cruiser. Weight gives stability, and there's not much way around that, but for twisty roads, bad roads unsurfaced roads or no roads, lighter is better and top speed less relevant.
    What type of roads do you want to ride and which do you find you have to ride in normal use?

The SWM Superdual is the same 600cc engine, in a luggage equipped big tanked adventure style form with choice of 21/18 or 19/17 wheels, but doesn't seem to be selling that well. It's not CCM light, but still sub-200, and by all accounts the engine and gearbox are very well suited to all-round use.

The RE Himalya is doing very well in the UK despite apparantly shoddy build quality, and comming out quite poorly in most reviews.
    But, they do have an extensive dealer network, and have a good overland travel style / image.
  15. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking I may take 4 months or so over the trip and have the other half drive (she doesn’t ride) shotgun. That way we can do the sight seeing justice as well. May even need to ship the dog over as well...
  16. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    IMG_0008.jpg

I’m not sure the latest acquisition will make a good adventure bike...
  17. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great point about the bike rack, only hardcore enduro mx bikes can be carried apart from the gp450 and wr250r, having owned both , the gp450 is by far the most capable imho of course.
  18. sanqhar

sanqhar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two things.
    I’m sure I have read somewhere about a cush drive gearbox sprocket, also there was a company “Mox” in New Zealand that made a rear sprocket with built in cush drive so obviating the need for a new cush drive hub.

Tom
  19. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tom, I will look up.
    Garry
  20. ichbinbier

ichbinbier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding one day in May, the low fuel light came on. I filled up with 89 (in Canada) because the CCM runs better than with the higher octane 91.
    After 15 minutes it starts sputtering and loses power then picks right up again.
    Bad fuel I think.
    So I figure I ride for an hourish burn fuel and fill up elsewhere to get better fuel in.
    Riding down a 400 series highway in Toronto doing 120 km/h, the CCM stops running.
    Pull the clutch in and then out, nothing.
    Pull the clutch in again, gear down and start making my way the to curb lane.
    Let the clutch out and nothing, won't fire.
    Pull over to the shoulder, put into neutral and try to start it.
    Turns over but won't fire.
    Try this several times to the point of the battery almost being dead.
    Call CAA.
    Find out my CAA expires the next day.
    Good one last tow.
    Take it home, drain the gas, pour the gas through a Mr. Funnel and it still won't fire.
    Maybe the spark plug is fouled?
    Renew CAA.
    Pull the tanks off and low and behold what do I find on the left side.

20190527_193055e.jpg

The blue wire of the three wires that go to the spark plug coil has decided to go it alone.
    Not having a spare connector nor the proper tool to release the inside plug I just pulled the insulation off of the connector side, stripped a bit off the blue wire, rammed it down into the connector then filled it with solder.

So far 500 kms riding with it like that, it still works.
    I want to see how long it will last before I have to properly fix it.