CCM 450 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ktmmitch, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any sign of what forced it to become disconnected in the first place?
  2. ichbinbier

ichbinbier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only thing I can think of is the vibration of the motor caused the wire to break.
    It was not rubbing against anything.
    And hard to say if the wire was nicked during manufacturing.

Just another thing to check if engine stops running.
  3. smudger096

smudger096 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know thanks, I have reduced my speed tp 110kmh and find less things vibrate loose and my fuel economy is better which allows for more range.
  4. Pepperbox

Pepperbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about to take the tanks off for a deep clean and some other fettling. Before I do, can anyone tell me the diameter of the fuel lines 6mm or 8mm (I'm sure it is here somewhere but I haven't been able to find it)? Has anyone successfully fitted fuel line quick release connectors? Cheers
  5. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The hoses between the rear tank and side tanks are much bigger than 8mm, as they have to allow fuel to flow rapidly into the front tanks when filling up they are around 5/8" or 17mm based on measuring the connector barbs.
    The tanks already have quick release connectors, just not dry release connectors that seal themselves when disconnected. These exist, but are expensive and bulky.
  6. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    That’s useful information, thanks. I was hoping to be able to disconnect the tanks without draining and potentially add in a fuel buddy feed. I should have realised the rear to front pipes would need to be larger to allow filling. Back to the drawing board...
  7. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
  8. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
  9. jlw

jlw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A dealer in southern Ontario has a couple new 2018 models for sale?

Are these bike still a wise buy, considering production has ceased?
  10. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    The GP450 is discontinued and CCM are nowhere near having anything to replace it.

Thyey are still in business, and doing quite well, making lots of hipster bikes (tested for sale in the UK only).

I'm still running my 2015 bike, and no intentions of getting rid of it. Most parts are still available from the factory, to the best of my knowledge, and the owners collective on facebook and advrider now know generic part numbers for (brake pads, headlamp etc) to get OEM parts

Obviously the engines are BMW and you can get genuine parts for that from any BMW Motorrad dealer and many aftermarket bits like re-usable oil and air filters for the g450x can be used.

CCM is a small enough company that you can call the factory and ask them about any concerns you have for support or warranty before you buy, or join the GP450 riders group on Facebook and speak with the CCM employees who are active there.
  11. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I saw the ad on kijiji and I cant help but to wonder/worry about what the depreciation is going to be for whoever buys this.
  12. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    The depreciation on the UK bikes was pretty savage, I lost around 60% in a year and 5k miles.

but I think it has bottomed out now.
  13. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    The dealer will probably be keen to offload those bikes by now so should expect to take a hit on price. The bikes are designed for tough use so depreciation was always going to be high (little scope to fit new plastics to hide a hard life like most small enduros). The best reason to buy is because the bike will do what you want, not for residuals. I’ve spent a fortune farkling mine to get it just how I want but there’s no chance of getting any of that money back. If I had to buy a replacement now it would be a 701 with a bucket load of extras. I’d still probably be dropping 40-50% over 3 years though.
  14. jlw

jlw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is an excerpt from the Kijiji ad.

Maybe the ‘Muricans and other people don’t know what Kijiji is. It’s similar to Craig’s list.

“Pricing for the GP450 Adventure S has been reduced to $14,820 plus HST, while the Standard can be yours for just $11,820 plus HST.”

Seem quite optimistic to me to ask that for pricing on an old model.
    jfman likes this.
  15. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    If these are unregistered bikes the dealer margin is likely to be sub 10%. Assuming they’ve already taken a bit of a hit, it’s unlikely they’ll want to go too much lower but it is always worth a punt for cash. But, as I said before, if the bike doesn’t do what you want it isn’t worth anything and vice versa. If it floats your boat put in a bid. If not buy something safe (or as safe as you can be with motorcycles). Could be worse, they could be Nortons...
    Drumbrakes likes this.
  16. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If they haven't sold these yet, that implies an unwillingness to drop their prices. I'd guess they'll stick to these prices until Victoria Day then become more flexible. More so still in the fall. And if they're still not sold then we can expect a better deal next spring. Or I could be all wet here. That Adventure S is now at the price of a 790; which would you choose?
  17. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well said @Pepperbox. I recall a local dealer had a new TDM850 for years. Every time I walked past it to the parts department I would stop and look. They were asking well below their cost when I offered what the bike was worth to me. It sat there for several more years then finally disappeared. They wouldn't tell me what happened with it. Sometimes it's better to take a big loss than to wait and take an even bigger loss.
  18. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    For gravel trails, distance, dealer back up and residuals? The 790. For a bit of gnarly, single track (I’ve had mine on enduro trails) plus distance and a light pick up. The 450. It all comes down to purpose and price.
  19. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    If it’s a dealer they’re more likely to be rational and take a hit to improve cash flow. Private sellers are more likely to be loss averse and hang on irrationally. It all comes down to what it’s worth to you. I’m going to do something stupid and pay over the odds either for a Triumph Metisse Desert Sled or a Ducati RT 450 Desmo...
  20. Pepperbox

Oddometer:
    Still trying to work out how to get me, the other half, a daft dog and my 450 over to do the TCT.