CCM 450 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ktmmitch, Jan 21, 2013.

1. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just 180? I googled the specs for the G450X and found 280! If it's only 180 then you really need to be careful which accessories to add. I had the idea to convert the H7 bulb to LED, but all H7 LED replacements have quite a massive heat sink, which for sure won't fit in the available space. There are only about 2...3cm between the current lamp socket and frame part that holds the front fairing.

Did you replace the H7 bulb? What kind of replacement?
  2. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    its 180 im afraid
    http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/...450x/g450x_compare.html&prm_action=&notrack=1

.. i had to pull the headlight bulb i replaced it with one of these

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H4-LED-Foglight-Bulb-White-H4LEDFog.html

i dremeled the centre out of a blown h7 bulb and inserted the h4 foglight in the centre of it you will see what to do if you try it a bit of filing after removing the centre and the h4 will slot right in there .. it still holds with the original spring clip and mounts in the usual way i think its just 5w its been on a year and is very good as a high viz driving light

not many pics ..this is probably the best one to compare
    ... you can see dave and tony are on yellow light 55w dipped beam and the 5w 300lumin led on mine is much brighter in the daytime so all inall its win win ....good driving light saves power and the rigid industries spots are awsome compared to the o/e headlight rated at 35w each ..one has a on switch ..low beam andthe other is wired to the o/e highbeam switch ..i can now comfortably run all lights and heated grips with no bother

[​IMG]
  3. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    just a note if anyone is wondering about lighting .i .trailed at night a while ago with bike fitted with rigid industries spots ..i was very impressed ...my crees were ok but the lens and penertration of the rigid lights were mega impressive ..please note i hate off road at night but i do have to ride a fair bit in the dark on the winter meets and the ccm headlight is poor in particular the main beam

one side as you know is set as dip beam and hand on heart i have never had a flash off a oncoming car and ive done a fair bit of night riding on the road ..the high beam is not far off fitting a world war two search light to the front of the bike and as you can imagine must be connected to the dipped beam

if your thinking of a light upgrade i would reccomend these without hesitation they are on the better side of exelent ..ok around 150 quid but a very good product .. pulling just 35w per spot ..i maby should have considered one flood and one spot ...but the two spot set up lights up the road like daylight and i know that the spot fixed as low beam does not dazzle other vehicle s
    just thought id put it in writing as the lights are brilliant ..get it ...oops :photog

you can see the difference better at 45 sec when dave pulls alongside ..its not great night camera but the 55w light does not even register on the hoardings

4. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Page 38 (or 8-6 in the big version) of my CCM manual says the headlight bulb is an H4. Is that wrong, or why do you need to dremel an H7 to make an H4 fit?

Lighting
    Bulb for low-beam and high-beam headlight H4 halogen 12 V 60/55 W
    Bulb for side light 12 V 5W
    Bulb for tail light/brake light LED 12V
    Bulbs for flashing turn indicators 12 V 10 W
  5. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    300 mile trip to Bolton. this weekend. Which vehicle do I use? GP450 or Little Tikes Dinosaur car?
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, here's a shot of the cockpit set up.

[​IMG]
  6. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    dam i think ive got it wrong maby it was a h7
    http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-led-foglight-bulb-white.html

fitted into a h4 whhich looks more likly looking at it two connectors instead of three ..i cant remember but i do know i pulled the doner dremel bulb from a old ford granada in either case it was a bulb from this site i used
    the one in the link the h4 looks like it should do the job though if you isolate the high beam wire to your spots
    http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H4-LED-Foglight-Bulb-White-H4LEDFog.html

ive not been in the cowel for a year now i do think it was a h7 i used splitting a wire to the high beam on the spots
    i remember pulling the headlight fuse with the volt meter on ..engine running when testing and there was next to no rise when the led bulb was disconnected ..it uses so lttle

no point in waffling but the main thing is the low power led light saves the power

now that i ve completly not explained what i did ...have fun :photog
  7. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    I have had fun. Just got my bike dirty and wet for the first time. 180 miles in about 4 hours, along the worst / best roads available. twisty, wyndy, steep, off camber, potholes, gravel, leaf mulch small floods, big puddles, uneven surfaces, narrow roads with passing places, cattle grids, humpback bridges. That bike just laps it all up and asks for more. I did have to stop and has a stern word with myself after lifting the front wheel on the afore mentioned humpback bridge at 60mph. (I'm not that type of rider, usually). Also need to have a look at increasing the low speed compression damping on the fork. It dives quite a lot under firm braking, with tendency for the bum to go light and squirrely. (in a fun way, so let's say Red Squirrely, not Grey Squirrely, which would be bad).

It smells a bit smokey on the few times I came to a complete stop, I guess there are some bits getting up to heat for the first time ever, and also some mud and leaf mulch sticking to the exhaust. My exhaust side pannier was a little warm, as were the top bags near the exhaust, but nothing new melted.
    I've been melting my right trouser leg cuff on the exhaust heat shield bolt by your ankle since day 1. It's now covered with a bit of Sugru putty (with a hex key shaped hole), which has stopped that particular issue.
    minkyhead likes this.
  8. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, reading this thread for the last year is both cool and disappointing. This bike needs to come to the US.
  9. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    Another great day's riding, though a bit more challenging. It's been raining heavily all day, with fairly strong gusty winds too.
    Been through 40cm deep flooded roads, no probs, but even with a GP450, I decided to take an alternative route for this section.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Paul_C and highnoonhunter like this.
  10. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    Either way, you combined an H7 and an H4 to make a bulb with only one beam choice, which fits the MV Augusta / CCM headlamp unit and you use that as high beam now? with a side mounted spot as your low beam and are very happy with that arrangement?

You may need to put it back in 2 years for your first MOT, but if it works for you now, great.
  11. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    not quite the headlamp is just a permanant 5w driving light around 300 lumins ....spot one is set as dip with a switch on the handlebar .. and spot 2 is wired to the high beam they are 1600 lumins each ..the difference between the o/e headlamp and this set up is literally night and day

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/20121

it was partly needs must to save voltage but its worked out pretty well with much improved lighting

the mot your right ...ii dont think my guy will make me put the bulb back in to take it out again ....but if it has to be done its not the end of the world

nice pics looks a bit wild im ioff roading in yorkshire next weekend better take my umbrella :lol3
  12. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    Take a look at CCM's facebook page, for a glimpse of a bike they've prepped for the Milan and Birmingham bike shows. I saw the full bike at the factory on Monday. I'm happy with the one I've got, but if you like a little more sparkle on your bikes...
    https://m.facebook.com/ccmmotorcycle/

[​IMG]
  13. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
  14. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello CCM owners!

Yesterday I removed the battery from the bike for winter hibernation (I known, there are different aproaches to this, but at possilble -20 degrees in my garage in Sweden I find it better to remove it) and got a really bad surprise: the routing of the red battery cable (+ pole) is running between the right tank and the frame over a really sharp edge! This sharp edge is the holder for the main fuses. The cable's outer (black) protective cover is already worn through - so sooner or later the + pole will make contact with the frame!

Is the cable routed the same way at other bikes! You better check and try to reroute, or at least place a piece of thick rubber between the edge and the cable!

KUO-151122-001.jpg
  15. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    Mine looks like the routing is similar. This photo's from a few weeks back.
    [​IMG]
  16. RsZk

RsZk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    highnoonhunter likes this.
  17. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
  18. RsZk

RsZk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the KTM definitely has the initial price advantage. But if you factor wind management and you also have to buy another external gas tank to equal the CCM fuel range, the costs then begin to favor the CCM. I'm still on the fence trying to figure out the pros and cons.

What I'm wondering is if the newest batch of CCM's being manufactured come with the cush drive automatically or is it an option? There is no mention of it on their options listing.
    RockyDS likes this.
  19. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    The Cush Drive will be standard on the new "S" & "RS" variants.
    See 3/4 of the way down on this news letter.
    http://eepurl.com/bGGtzT
    RsZk likes this.
  20. jt1966

jt1966 n00b

Oddometer:
    I had the opportunity to see the CCM at EICMA a couple weeks ago. The bikes really look great in the flesh and were perhaps my favorites of any production bikes at the show.

I had a fairly lengthy talk with the CCM folks about US availability, and they definitely plan to bring the bikes here but have a few hurdles to clear. They want to make it be a 50-state legal model so they have to meet not just EPA but also CARB standards. The engine and exhaust should not be a problem since they have previously been certified by both EPA and CARB.

The logistically more complex thing is that the current gas tanks apparently do not meet permeability requirements and also lack the right vents to attach an emissions canister. So they need to get them slightly tweaked and made with a different plastic, which may mean a different vendor and all the contracting and production issues that entails. They said their realistic schedule was late 2016 as a 2017 model. Hopefully they won't run into any major hiccups and we'll be seeing the bike in the US in a year's time.

As mentioned above, Canadian approval apparently was just granted and Australian is supposedly imminent.
    highnoonhunter and richtidebruin like this.