CDN prices - 93 XR650L for $3400?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Grainbelt, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to offload my GS500 and pick up an older dual sport. In searching MB, SK, and AB, there isn't a whole lot to choose from under 5 grand. I did find a 93 XR650L a few hours away, with a larger tank and some other goodies, but it is at a dealer and they want $3400?

Looks like a decent machine, if well used, but $3400 CDN for a 13 year old thumper? I found a guy blowing out BRAND NEW DR200SE's for $4k...

Any other sources for bikes on the prairie? Appreciate any input. Need a dirt companion for my little sport tourer.
  2. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you just need to get word out that you're looking for a bike. It seems there's lots of bikes out there....at the back of the barn or at the cabin or getting dusty in the garage.

I know of a early 90's DR350 that's been sitting at a cabin, it has less than 100km on it! (no, it's not for sale...I tried). It was driven to the highway and back a few times and hasn't been used since. I would have tried harder to get it but then the KLR fell in my lap.

It's finds like that which make it worth getting the word out... Good luck and I'll keep my ears open.

Throw a WTB ad in Flea Market...it can't hurt.
  3. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Too bad I didn't know. I think a guy in Nipigon just sold a fairly new KLR650 for
    3400 bucks. It had about 8000 km on it.
  4. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're willing to do the paperwork, etc. - look at importing a bike from the States. When I got my Valkyrie Interstate, the sale price, currency conversion, transportation, and taxes to get the bike from Indiana to Ontario was still less than what people were asking in Ontario.
  5. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Thing is, I'm here on a work permit, I don't even have to pay duty and taxes to bring a bike up here. Its just a logistical pain in the ass that I'd rather avoid.

There's an outside chance that I'll trailer my GS500 back to Mpls, leave it with my folks, and try to buy a bike there to trailer back. Just a lot of solo driving thru the prairies, in the winter, that I'd rather avoid.

I'll throw a WTB ad in, along with my FS ad for the GS. I've checked trader.ca, any other big online classifieds I may have missed?

Thx folks.
  6. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually check these out for bikes...

www.fsfr.com
    www.buysell.com
    www.usedwinnipeg.com (where I found my KLR for a steal!) There are links at the bottom for regina and saskatoon.

You have to filter out for the pocket bike crap, but there's usually some decent stuff out there.
  7. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    How many kilometers are on the XRL? I doubt if I would sell mine for $3000 and its getting to be beat up.New ones in T-Bay are $7400 before tax.If its in good shape I would say its not too unreasonable( I also like to get a deal on stuff but.....),like you say there is not many for sale. Good time of year to buy.....
  8. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Reason I asked in the first place is $3400 may actually be a pretty reasonable price... Ad didn't list kms, I'll have to call them. Good news is it has been reasonably farkled - bigger tank, hand guards.

link

[​IMG]
  9. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer: