CDR, TAT & ADV routes Master Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by eakins, Feb 11, 2012.

1. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im planning a North bound ride for July 2016. We would ship our bikes in and out and fly out from NYC. It seems the starting point closest to an airport would be El Paso, TX and the ending point would be Kallispell, MT. My question to all of you hat have done the ride before is if we would miss much riding from El Paso to Hachita and picking up there? Is it worth it to start heading South to Antelope Wells and loop back up as we begin the ride (ideally not back an forth the same road) and then go past Kallispell to Rooseville as we conclude the ride and loop back South to catch a flight?
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    All very nice Jerry. There is absolutely no problem with using hand drawn tracks nor that does make any track "by far the worst". These were prepared in 2010 and a great deal of work went in to providing an accurate route that could be easily followed at riding resolution for people limited to 20 tracks. Apparently that effort paid off since they have smoothly guided many people along this route, and the thousands of other miles of routes that I provide for people, using the same concept.

From the thread where I published the tracks:

"The 20 tracks are not filtered actual active logs. They are tracks I drew based on the current GDR maps and then verified against my active logs to ensure they were correct. The tracks are drawn in such a way that track points are conserved but there is no confusion in following the route."

Regarding the remark "I should mention that your collection of waypoints was fantastic". Thank you. I noticed you grabbed those right away back in 2010. The bad part was that you then immediately posted misinformation about my tracks in my GDR track thread in an effort to promote some product of your own. It got to be so distracting and perhaps confusing for some that I had to call you at home to ask what your problem was and tell you to stop posting in that thread. (You've since deleted many of your posts there.) Running down other people's work is not a productive way to promote your own. :D
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Clearly this is a matter of personal preference, but I don't think you will be disappointed dropping the ends off the route. The scenery repeats itself quite a bit along the way so it isn't like you are going to be missing something particularly unusual. Maybe the best thing might be be to take a look at some ride reports to see if there is something in either of those segments that you really want to see. One approach might be to join at Hachita but ride beyond Kalispell some distance as you have time available toward the end of the trip.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful trip. This is a very scenic and entertaining route that provides a lot of helmet smiles along the way. :thumb
  4. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your quick response. I plan to use your tracks so they can work on a C60 (backup) and on the Navigator V. What is the color coding?
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did a DS ride out of Las Cruces to the east a few years ago. We found a great ride from Las Cruces to Columbus on mostly primitive roads. It is pretty difficult with steep lava rock hills, sand, and cactus encounters. But I have done it twice on a KLR. PM me if you want more info. It would be easy to hook up with it out of El Paso.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The primary route is cyan colored. Alternates and some side trips have a different color to distinguish them from the primary. Those 60 series are still nice units. They've sure taken us a lot of places over the years. Hope you have a great trip!
  7. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many have suggested I study GPSKevin's tracks. He has what seems to be a dark blue main track and some alternate green and red tracks. I assume greens are easy bypasses and reds are hero sections. They all connect back together.
  8. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would it take us from El Paso to Hachita or any other point on the CDR? I'm thinking we will ship bikes to El Paso, fly out there to get our bikes and start the trip there, heading west to intersect the CDR.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I think anyone would have a fine ride with GPSKevin's tracks. He also included some alternates/side trips other than the primary route and alternates. I just looked at his web site and found the following remarks (see below) that indicate he pooled the work of several riders to provide a new combination of options. No doubt people will be fine with those, Big Dog's, mine, and I'm sure some others. I did notice the Kevin only included gas waypoints with his file so if someone uses his file that person may want to draw waypoints for POIs from some other file. As Jerry pointed out, I have a pretty comprehensive set of waypoints that even includes MC dealers by brand in the event you need that info during your trip.

"Route Updates 2015:I have spent a lot of work sorting through all the best ride plans from all the best riders and sources. This includes: Cannonshots tracks and stories and info (he is the best) and I have sorted through Big Dogs tracks and info and I have gone through my own once again (gpsKevin) and the info on what Rawhide does. I have taken the best from everyone and made it in really easy GPS maps and I now put it "Open Source" on the web for free so that everyone may enjoy and contribute to making it an even better ride. Please send me your updates and I will include them."
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's about 43 miles from Columbus to Hachita (closest CDR intersection) along NM 9. There aren't many dirt options along in there, just a few choppy county roads that don't go anywhere useful for very long without getting back on 9.
  11. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely downloading all your waypoints into my Navigator with your tracks. It seems it'll take some work on BaseCamp to setup everything. It'll also allow me to layer the tracks on Google Earth and map out the terrain. I'm looking for some challenging terrain/tracks to keep things interesting beyond the sights.
  12. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    The more blacktop we can avoid the better. I appreciate your help.
  13. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    if I were a donkey--------and somebody laid out carrots on the ground so I could find my way.
    I don't need one every inch of the way.
    Every hundred feet or so is fine.
    BigDog
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want more challenging, take a look at my New NM CDR file on GpsXchange.com It is much more Dual Sport than the traditional CDR route and it follows the Divide as close as possible and crosses it over 40 times in NM.

If you want a complete Mexico to Canada that is more Dual Sport check out the Great Western Trail (AZ, UT, WY, ID). Big Dog did this first many many years ago, I spent three years improving it.

Just looked at Kevin's file, wow he really has some data!
    theandy likes this.
  15. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I hadn't heard of the GWT... It looks great! I'll probably work on some tracks to put together a CDR+ with some added technical stuff in there. We are planning for 14 days so we have time to wander off and are I no rush to do border to border.
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure how many days the CDR typically takes but http://www.mex2can.com/ takes 13 days, GWT probably the same so you may not have much extra days riding CDR. The comparison probably indicates the difficulty.
  17. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe the CDR tipically takes 9 days. The 13 days for M2C seems like a very relaxed pace. I'll try to stay close to the CDR, venture off on anything that looks interesting from your NM tracks for a few hours and then resume the CDR.
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds about right, it is 9/13 as technical. There is nothing relaxed about riding 200 miles of 2-track each day. The GWT is somewhere in between.
  19. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just registered at GPSXchange.com and downloaded your tracks: 18X500, 15X2000 (impressive difference in resolution) the actual divide, NM tracks and the 8 additional options. THIS IS AMAZING!

Thanks for putting all of this together and sharing it on GPSXchange.

The NM tracks seem too complicated to incorporate to our CDR ride but the 8 options seem exactly what I was looking for: taking you off the CDR momentarily to bring you back onto the CDR further in the direction of travel. Some of these options however look like easier roads (Chama option is Route 64) as alternative to the more challenging CDR (Carson National Forest). Other options like Fireline & Skyote take you off Rt 129 in the comfort of the valley and venture up the mountainside for some thrills. Another option (Jackson) just deviates Southbound on 191 and doesn't loop back to get you back on the CDR...

All of my observations are from viewing the routes and options on Google Earth. How would you rate the 8 options?

Edit: The 18X500 GPX only has 17 segments. You skipped from 14 to 16. No Segment 15.
  20. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM sent