CDR, TAT & ADV routes Master Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by eakins, Feb 11, 2012.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of Countdown's NM options is called Chloride Creek. You need to head east a little after you hit NM 59. It takes you over to Winston where there is gas. This is one of the best primitive road rides in New Mexico. I highly recommend it. It can be difficult, but I have done it a couple of times on a KLR and once I rode it with a couple riding 2 up on a KTM 950.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are welcome, hope more people will know and use this source.

Sorry about 15, I will fix that. Was going to update anyway based on GPS Kevin's new Tracks. Look at his, possibly same "Options" and he has them color coded. My codes are Dark Green Dual Sport, Dark Magenta Adv bypass, Red more technical. Also integrate Canon's many interesting way points.

Kind of agree with Bill (wbbnm) the option to the East to Winston (gas) is great. I was a little concerned as I was alone and on old big TE610 and it was down hill (North) but turned out to be fantastic.
  3. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I laid down your detailed tracks (15X2000), inverted the direction of travel, renamed them 1-15, cut section 1 to start in Hachita and added a section 0 from El Paso to Hachita staying of Route 9 as much as possible.

I added all of Cannonshot's waypoints and your optional detours. I still need to find a place for gas between El Paso and Hachita.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's gas, motel, and restaurant in Columbus NM. But I think that is about the only place along in there.
    alexcorral likes this.
  5. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't find any gas in Columbus on the Navigator maps or on Google maps. Can you be more specific on where in Columbus there's gas?
  6. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    A nice technique for planning a trip is to search for gas prices in certain areas. If a station is currently reporting a gas price it indicates they are still in business. The gas price site will also give a location for the station. http://www.newmexicogasprices.com/Columbus/index.aspx In this case the station is on the corner of Broadway and NM 11. The next step is to verify it on the aerial imagery (it is there). Using streetview on google maps gives a nice picture of the station as well.

Hope this proves helpful to you.
    MotoBoss and WRW9751 like this.
  7. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is very helpful. Thanks. I'll try try it out tomorrow.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't remember exactly where the gas station is in Columbus. But it is a very small town and can't be hard to find. I will check with a friend who knows the area better. There are lots of gas stations out west and I imagine other places that don't show up in conventional lists. And vice versa, there are many that show up but have been closed for years.

Most of us who post tracks of long rides are careful to include waypoints for known gas stations. This is one of the best sources of real information. Countdown goes even further and includes the phone number of the gas station as part of the waypoint properties.

My expert friend said there is definitely gas in Columbus, and it is on NM 11 few blocks north of NM 9

I also took a look a Cannonshot's site. That looks like a real find. I will certainly bookmark it.
  9. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have another question: how do you segment the ride? Is each segment from camping spot to camping spot? Is it designed to do a segment per day? Is it gas stop to gas stop? What do you experienced guys think works best?
  10. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Not sure exactly what you mean. If you are talking about each track segment, many of us go by the number of points. The distance associated with this varies because of the required level of detail on a segment. If you are talking about general planning for daily distances, take a look at the characteristics of a segment (including stops at POIs) and estimate how many miles you will complete in a day. If reservations for an overnight stop are not involved, many people just ride as far as they are comfortable on a particular day without regard to segment length. Picking up a few extra daily miles early on in a trip gives you a comfortable cushion in the event you are held up by muddy roads, flat tires, or a mechanical issue along the way.
  11. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    We tried to plan so that we would end up staying in a town every 4th night so we could do laundry and take showers. Otherwise we would judge our progress for the day in the afternoon and look at camping options that could be reached a couple of hours before dark. "Guesstimating" progress can be hard to do due the varied terrain. The worst thing is to set hard deadlines that cause you to divert off the trail and onto pavement simply to make up time. We had to divert to Taos for 3 days to have major welding repair work done. We had a hard deadline in Pinedale Wyo. and missed some of southern Colorado because of it.
  12. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips. I've never camped out of the bike and was trying to plan each day to end at a marked camping spot (i.e. Ono Frio OBS well)
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even if you are camping you will still need gas, groceries, water etc. So consider that in your segments.

On rides I plan, we always stay in motels. So that pretty much defines a days ride since towns are often few and far between out west. Especially in places interesting to ride.

My main driver is gasoline. Unless you are on a KLR, you pretty much need gas every 150 to 200 miles.
  14. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    My plan is to use CS's tracks, ride, stop for fuel when needed and stop 3 hours brfore dark to camp. If I make a motel every few days, ok. If not I'll still camp even if it's stealth.

I'm pretty much a National Parks camper so motel's aren't a priority. This trip is going to be as little to no planning as I can make it, other than my start and end dates. That's my adventure!
  15. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be on a GSA and can do over 300 miles on a tank of gas :D

I have identified a gas stop along each day's segment and there is never more than 250 miles without gas. I am trying to finish and start each day at a camp site. I hadn't thought about the need for supplies before camping :doh
    theandy likes this.
  16. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alex - FWIW - I have ridden the northern end from Banff down to Steamboat Lake CO two up with my wife. All we do in planning our "segments" is have a ball park idea of our hoped for average miles per day, and a very broad general idea of if there is, or isnt a campground etc. with in a reasonable margin plus or minus of that point. We dont get to locked into we MUST make this point or not on any given day, and we plan in some cushion days to give us the ability to do side trips or simply take a day off. For the part we have ridden, honestly, there has not been a shortage of spots to camp, be it free camp, or in a campground. Cannonshot's tracks have been very helpful in identifying those spots in advance.

And other than some noteworthy long stretches without gas (the Big Empty for example), we have not found to much of an issue there (other than when I was stupid, did not fill up as I assumed we had plenty of range...to then find a bridge out and having to backtrack and add in plenty of extra miles!).

Mike
  17. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I plan to fill up frequently regardless of expected range. I want to plan the route, end to end, for 9 days and we have 13. This will allow to take a day off, do some side exploration and contingency.

I'll post my planned segments when I get done to get your input. In the mean time I'm getting quotes to ship the bikes to El Paso and from Kalispell back home. Also need to get the KTM/BMW dealer in El Paso to receive our bikes for us ahead of our arrival.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  18. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here´s my attempt at planning to break it down into 10 days of travel covering 2558 miles. Since we have 13 days this leaves an extra 3 days for potential delays, sniffing the flowers, side tracks or any other crazy shit we come up with. What do you think?

Day 1 - 276 miles
    Track 00
    Viva Power Sports (KTM & BMW Dealer) in El Paso to Hachita (CDR start) - 130 miles
    Gas Stop: Fina 2943 E Paisano Dr, El Paso, TX
    Track 01
    Hachita to Wall Lake Campground - 146 miles
    Gas Stop: Exxon, 869 Silver Heights Blvd, Silver City, NM
    Lunch Stop: Blake’s Burgers, 1315 N Hudson St, Silver City, NM
    Overnight: Wall Lake Campground, Winston, NM
    Day 2- 267 miles
    Track 02
    Wall Lake Campground to El Mal Pais National Monument - 172 miles
    Gas Stop: Fina 2943 E Paisano Dr
    Track 03
    El Mal Pais National Monument to Ojo Frio OBS Well - 95 miles
    Gas Stop: Phillips 66, 1257 W Santa Fe Ave (Rte 66), Grants, NM
    Lunch Stop: Pie-O-Neer, US-60, Pie Town, NM
    Overnight: Ojo Frio OBS Well, Sandoval, NM
    Day 3 - 258 miles
    Track 03
    Ojo Frio OBS Well to End of Track 03 - 32 miles
    Track 04
    Beginning to End - 118 miles
    Gas Stop: Phillips 66, 6454 Main St, Cuba, NM
    Gas Stop: Bode’s General Store, Abiquiu, NM
    Track 05
    Beginning to End - 104 miles
    Track 06
    Begining to Lake Fork Camp Ground - 4 miles
    Lunch Stop: Bode’s General Store, Abiquiu, NM
    Overnight: Lake Fork Camp Ground, Antonito, CO
    Day 4 - 296 miles
    Track 06
    Lake Fork Camp Ground to End - 114 miles
    Gas Stop: Conoco 805 Grand Ave, Del Norte, CO
    Track 07
    Begining to End - 179 miles
    Gas Stop: Tomichi Creek Trading Post, Sargent, CO
    Gas Stop: Hartsel Gas
    Track 08
    Begining to Breckenridge - 3 miles
    Lunch Stop: Tomichi Creek Trading Post, Sargent, CO
    Overnight: Breckenridge Hotel
    Day 5 - 218 miles
    Track 08
    Breckenridge to Steamboat Springs - 142 miles
    Gas Stop: Breckenridge
    Track 09
    Steamboat Springs to Little Sandstone Campground - 76 miles
    Gas Stop: Philips 66 1755 Lincoln Ave, Steamboat Springs, CO
    Lunch Stop: Steamboat Springs, CO
    Overnight: Little Sandstone Campground, Encampment, WY
    Day 6 - 275 miles
    Track 09
    Little Sandstone Campground to End - 152 miles
    Gas Stop: Loaf n’ Jug 902 W Spruce St, Rawlins, WY
    Track 10
    Beginning to Pinedale - 123 miles
    Gas Stop: Conoco 202 E Pine St, Pinedale, WY
    Lunch Stop: Atlantic City Mercantile, 100 E St, Atlantic City, WY
    Overnight: Half Moon Lake Campground, Fremont Lake Rd, Pinedale, WY
    Day 7 - 254 miles
    Track 10
    Pinedale to End - 81 miles
    Track 11
    Beginning to Henry’s Lake - 173 miles
    Gas Stop: Exxon 27655 US-26, Moran, WY
    Gas Stop: Colter Bay Gas Station, Colter Bay Village Rd, Moran, WY
    Gas Stop: Chevron 4150 N Big Springs Loop Rd, Island Park, ID
    Lunch Stop: Ranch House Restaurant, Colter Bay Village Rd, Moran, WY
    Overnight: Henry’s Lake, Yellowstone National Park, ID
    Day 8 - 236 miles
    Track 12
    Henry’s Lake to End - 202 miles
    Gas Stop: Exxon 114 S Harrison St, Lima, MT
    Track 13
    Beginning to Beaver Dam Campground - 34 miles
    Gas Stop: Exxon 27655 US-26, Moran, WY
    Lunch Stop: Jan’s Cafe, 108 Bailey St, Lima MT
    Overnight: Beaver Dam Campground, Butte, MT
    Day 9 - 256 miles
    Track 13
    Beaver Dam Campground to End - 130 miles
    Gas Stop: Sinclair 2902 Harrison Ave, Butte, MT
    Track 14
    Beginning to Cedar Creek Campground - 126 miles
    Gas Stop: Mountain View Co-Op, 525 Main St, Lincoln, MT
    Gas Stop: Sinclair Mt Highway 83, Condon, MT
    Lunch Stop: Wheel Inn Tavern, 123 Main St, Lincoln, MT
    Overnight: Cedar Creek Campground, Big Fork, MT
    Day 10 - 222 miles
    Track 14
    Cedar Creek Campground to Kalispell - 40 miles
    Track 15
    Canada Border Round Trip - 140 miles
    Glacier National Park - 42 miles
    Gas Stop: Whitefish, MT
    Lunch Stop: Sandwiches in Glacier National Park
    Overnight: Hotel in Kalispell, MT
    theandy likes this.
  19. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alex

While my ride on the CDR has been at a much more leisurely pace (two up with the wife), if I were one up, I would think yours doable. If you hit rain and mud, in some sections, you will find your pace slows dramatically, or you may have to re-route.

I do take a bit less structured approach in planning though. For example - lunch stops often are where ever along the trail with food I have on the bike, or where ever corresponds to a gas stop.

Here's a link to my ride report. http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...al-divide-ride-report-this-time-2-up.1115450/

It's still a work in process - I still need to write up from Atlantic City through Steamboat Lake. We will do from Steamboat Lake down to the Mexican border late this summer.
  20. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your feedback. I tried to match lunch at gas stops or close enough. This is a base plan but we are willing to stray from it, especially considering we have an extra 3 days. I plan to camp but will go to a hotel if weather doesn't help.