CDR, TAT & ADV routes Master Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by eakins, Feb 11, 2012.

1. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's some good writing and great photos. What were you shooting? I'm trying to decide whether to take the DSLR
  2. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We were just using a little Nikon 1 J1 - rather much a low end mirrorless camera. It serves us well though. Space is at a premium riding two up, so the added bulk of a DSLR didn't make sense. My wife takes the vast majority of the pics from the back of the bike. A few shots are cell phone pics.
  3. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Nice RR Mike, giving me some great planning prep information!
    KTM Mike likes this.
  4. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks MotoBoss.... I updated it a bit tonight....

back to our regular thread here...dont want to side track the intent of this thread!
  5. Echo1

Echo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to BigDog, Cannonshot, and Countdown for their work putting together the CDR GPS tracks, reports, and info. Also thanks to Eakins for putting this thread together.

I rode the CDR in September 2014 from north to south solo on my '06 KLX250S. My KLX is stock except for a manual cam chain tensioner and a 3.7g Acerbis gas tank. I stayed in motels along the way, which worked out really well. Here is a list of the towns I stayed in:

Montana - Kalispell (waiting out storm), Seeley Lake, Butte
    Idaho - Island Park
    Wyoming - Pinedale, Rawlins
    Colorado - Kremmling, Salida
    New Mexico - Chama, Cuba, Quemado, Silver City, Deming

I planned to start from Roosville on September 9th but a big storm in Montana delayed my start until September 11th. It was in the mid 20s F starting out for several days and I rode through snow, ice, & mud in the higher elevations. Even though it was cold, it was sunny and I was prepared so it wasn't bad. And the fall colors were a pretty good bonus!

My ride went as planned until I reached Quemado NM. There was record rainfall in southern NM due to Hurricane Odile in Baja. Leaving Quemado, I made it through Pie Town and over Mangas Mountain then encountered really heavy rain/mud in the Gila and had to reroute back through Reserve and Glenwood to Silver City. The next morning I left Silver City in a light rain thinking it would be an easy ride to Antelope Wells. Then I encountered the worst mud ever on the 31 mile dirt section between Silver City and I-10. I was exhausted by the time I reached I-10. So I detoured to Deming, washed all the mud off, then finished the ride the next day.

After completing the CDR, I was curious about the CDT and noticed the CDT southern terminus was not at Antelope Wells but at a remote location on the east side of the NM boot heel. Since I live in Las Cruces, it was easy for me to ride/explore the route to the CDT southern terminus. I rode it on Feburary 13, 2016 and have attached a track log of the 29 mile (58 mile round trip) dirt section from hwy 81 south of Hachita to the CDT terminus/monument. I think this is could be a good option to riding pavement all the way to Antelope Wells.

Overview map:
    CDT Monument Track.jpg
    405.JPG
    407.JPG

Attached Files:

eakins, suprbst, eddyturn and 5 others like this.
  6. theandy

theandy Monkey

Oddometer:
    Fantastic thread. Planning my own trip over CDR this August during a sabbatical from work. Am devouring all your notes here. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    eakins likes this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Bump just because it's getting close to that time of year. :-)
    bomose and KTM Mike like this.
  8. knmwhite

knmwhite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are thinking about doing the CDR, do it!! Below are my video's from last years ride. I did the first 3 days with a partner, and the last 7 solo. It was the trip of a lifetime.
    I just wish I would have done the whole thing solo. I used Cannonshot's tracks. I highly recommend skipping Fleecer Ridge on a big loaded down bike. Skip to 4:10 of first video if you have any questions about Fleecer on a big bike.

part 1

part 2
    suprbst, AugustFalcon and AdvRich like this.
  9. CA_Rage

CA_Rage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    Dooooo eeeeet!
    I rode the CDR 2 years ago for the first time with my buddy Bear.
    I plan to do it again someday.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sweet POI!
  11. mfaoro

mfaoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RE: Fleecer: Can I assume the difficulty has a lot to do with the steepness (which doesn't really get captured by the camera)?

The surface doesn't look that challenging - chickenheads mostly. Or am I missing something?

Planning a ride of the area in late July.

Sent using Tapatalk
  12. mfaoro

mfaoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Countdown: How do you define Dual Sport vs Adv? Is dual sport say 250-650 plated dirt bike and ADV say 1190s and GSAs?
  13. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Once the bike gets the slightest momentum it can start to slide when you brake (steep slope, loose material) making it difficult to control a big and heavily loaded bike. If you creep down until you get close enough to the bottom to slingshot the rest you can ride it. I guess the point is that it is unexpectedly easy for the bike to get away from a rider. Being deliberate and conservative can make it doable for some.
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I promote many Dual Sport rides (see DualSportWest.com) and I consider <550 as Dual Sport, 600-650 (except Honda R) are small Adv bikes, above 650 full on Adv. I do not recommend 650 on most of my rides.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  16. ozark-nzrider

ozark-nzrider bob1002

Oddometer:
    Little information please. Wife and I will be riding the CDR south to North in August and plan on taking a little detour in the Gravelly Range area, going up the Gravelly Range Rd to the Warm Springs Rd and then back south on Centennial Divide Rd to pick up the CDR. From that point, for some reason I have got it into my head to take the Blacktail Rd to Dylan and then over to Bannock State Park. This would bypass Big Sheep Greek Byway/Medicine Lodge Rd - which route is more scenic and interesting? While we are asking questions - has anybody got any rough campsite ideas between Bairoil, Wyoming and Atlantic City, Wyoming? What about availability of gas in Atlantic City around the 1st week or 2 in August. Thanks
  17. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in Anaconda as I type, I was in Bannock yesterday and ate the best Mexican food I've ever had in Montana, in Dillon at the White Taco Bus. Street tacos and more! I digress.

Dylan = Dillion?

The Gravelly Range is an awesome sidetrack! Going through the Centennial Valley is fantastic but the routes themselves are flat and straight. To me there isn't that much difference between coming out at Dillion or Lima. However, after coming out at Lima it is a nice ride through the canyon and up the valley to Bannock, you would miss that by going to Dillion and taking the highway to Bannock.

We did the CDR 2 years ago and didn't camp in campgrounds in Colorado or Wyoming, we dispersed (primitive) camped. Sorry didn't need fuel at Atlantic City, we did Lander's Cutoff and got fuel on down the road.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Bump because September is the best month to ride ADV in the US!
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Bump for those winter planning
    Ladybug likes this.