CDT ride for summer 2021

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lane01, Mar 5, 2021.

1. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everybody, I just wanted to put a post out here on riding the CDT this summer. Looking for riding partners. I’m pretty open on dates but was looking at maybe the first to mid-July but could be open to later if needed. I rode the NM sec. last year and had to pull off. Want to do it again all the way this year. Not looking to run a race, just want to slow down and enjoy the ride. Plan on camping for the most part. Hit me up if you’re interested. Plan on going from south to north
    BHoward and ibgary like this.
  2. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interested.
    I've done it, but it took several trips. I'd like to go end to end. I mostly camp, but I'm not opposed to getting a koa cabin once a week to clean up. I also don't do the red line. I like to enjoy the ride.
  3. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like my plans too. When were you thinking about leaving and where will you be coming out of. I'm in Big bend right now for a week then we are crossing the border to MX for a week to ride Copper Canyon.
  4. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im flexible on time. Let me check some dates of previous trips and get back to you.
    I live in Colorado. The wife and I took a ride last weekend, almost 70*. Now its snowing again and supposed to drop 12-24" this weekend.
    Have fun in Mexico. I was ready to go to the Yucatan last spring. I was at BB when I decided, due to Covid, to postpone. I still want to check out the zone of silence.
    Pic was last yr on June 4th, Union pass Wyoming. Had to turn around about a mile later. Did it again in July. 1574051427.jpg
  5. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm interested, dates for me are pretty open. I'm doing the CABDR the first or second week of April.
  6. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im thinking late June or July. I might try the NMBDR in May.
    The below pic is June 4th of last yr. Union Pass in Wyoming. 1250510863.jpg
    BHoward likes this.
  7. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey keep in touch and let me know. We are having a blast riding Big Bend and can't wait till next Monday to take off for copper canyon.
  8. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will do. Howard do you have an opening this summer? Shall we cap this to keep the number of riders small? 3-5?
    BHoward likes this.
  9. BHoward

Oddometer:
    I do have a opening.
    I don't have a preference on the number of riders, however all riders should be self sufficient. They should have a GPS and know how to use it.
    ibgary likes this.
  10. Lost-Again

Lost-Again Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m have planned a CDT trip late summer with a buddy who is now becoming iffy. I’m a self sufficient retired 60yr old but on a WR250. I’m in Houston but will rent a truck/van to haul my bike to New Mexico then ship it back from MT. I like camping and hoteling. If my buddy does bail I wouldn’t mine tagging along for some or all of it.
    ibgary likes this.
  11. BHoward

Oddometer:
    Well, I like the way your thinking, shipping the bikes bike.
    I prefer to camp 2 or 3 nights then hotel.
    ibgary likes this.
  12. helmethair

helmethair Helmet Hair

Oddometer:
    For what its worth, a buddy and I are planning a S/N CDT for this 2021 summer...currently no particular starting date. We would likely not fit into a group as we like to take it slow and stop frequently. It would however, be nice to know when your group will actually start the trail. Ill be checking this thread. If our start dates are roughly the same I'll post it. And if our paths happen to cross, it might be fun to meet up for a beer. Best of luck on your CDT adventure!
  13. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks helmet hair. I'm not part of the fast crowd either. Keep watching.
    Just north of Aspin Alley. 596482528.jpg
  14. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Lost again I'm in Houston too. I.d be intrested in going in on a rental with you if this works out.
  15. Lost-Again

Oddometer:
    Great! The more the merrier! And less expensive ;)
    lane01 likes this.
  16. Lost-Again

Oddometer:
    With the amount of snow that the Rockies just received Mid July or later seems about right.
  17. leeleeradio

leeleeradio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I came here for the exact same reason. I'll be leaving NM in mid-July. I'm very flexible about dates and pacing. I'd like to camp as close to 100% as possible, but I'm open to occasional motels. I'll be on an XR650L.
  18. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    leeleeradio, I'm still planning on starting around mid July and also plan on mostly camping. Am in no hurry to complete the ride want to just relaxe and enjoy every mile of it. I just got back from a week in Big Bend park then rode down to copper canyon in Mexico for a week. We covered 1380 miles around Mexico
  19. leeleeradio

leeleeradio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That Copper Canyon ride sounds amazing. It seems like our routes and timing could work perfectly together. I'm in no hurry- I'm quitting my job to do this, and as long as I'm in Seattle by sometime in August, I'll be happy, which should be ample time for the CDR. I'm doing some off-road training in May to get prepared for any technical sections, but I'm also happy with skipping all the red and taking it easy. I want to plan a safe trip and it would be nice to have someone to talk to every once in a while during all of those days on the trail. Let me know if you'd like details at any point.
  20. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lots of riders in town 1.jpg The ride was GREAT I have some videos on my you tube page, their raw and uncut and a lot of pics posted on facebook. I started CDT last year on my African Twin but had to pull off at the end of New Mexico to go back home for a hurricane . This year I want to do MX to CA. I'm not on a time line at all and don't want one. If I like an area and want to spend a couple days riding locally then I will I don't want to have to worry about being some where be any date which is another reason for mostly camping. This year I'll be on my KTM 390 Adventure, the same one I rode to Mexico. Amazing little bike, Miss the raw power of the AT but don't miss the weight and have not given up anything in cruise abilities or dirt road and light single track. Not looking to set any records, if I get tired stop and rest, take pics, fly the drone some. I like to think It's not about the destination it'll always be there it's about not wasting time blasting through the ride, slow down and enjoy it this is a ride of a life time. Sorry being long winded wife left me along tonight

Attached Files: