CDT ride for summer 2021

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lane01, Mar 5, 2021.

1. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    National Park entrances (Jellystone & Glacier) if you choose to go. GNP is requiring reservations for GTS Road. IMO, the CDR without riding GTS Road is a travesty.
    McLaughc likes this.
  2. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I was considering skipping the parks but will now reconsider.
  3. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going To The Sun Road is magical, Yellowstone is soccer mom and crumb cruncher hellish pandemonium.
  4. f800kris

f800kris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the longest distance without gas?
  5. McLaughc

McLaughc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I wanted the extra day in whitefish just for the GTS Road.
  6. 0p2_ADV

0p2_ADV Mother Earth is a source of life, not a resource

Oddometer:
    Hope to meet some of you along the way. Leaving from Antelope Wells on the 18th.
    McLaughc likes this.
  7. 0p2_ADV

Oddometer:
    What's the GTS road?
  8. McLaughc

McLaughc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park.
    0p2_ADV likes this.
  9. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be either north of Silver City, which I think is about 200 miles to Datil, or north from Rawlins. 3 forks/muddy gap, which is about 15 miles north of Bairoil on 287 has a station. Recommend you top off there.
    Don't plan on Atlantic City. No station there and although we made arrangements with the store owner to have gas for us (at a high cost) he wasn't there when we arrived or in the morning when we left. We detoured north to get gas in Lander. I was fine on the 790 (great range) the guy I was with was on reserve.
    f800kris likes this.
  10. 0p2_ADV

Oddometer:
    Plans change for my group and we'll be doing North to South now, hope to meet along the way and share some tips and stories. Keep in touch. See you on the road.
    McLaughc likes this.
  11. McLaughc

McLaughc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I will be on my silver/black AT. I will post up here with confirmation that we are taking off. I will also be posting a daily status on instagram (@mclaughcj) once we take off.

Chris
    0p2_ADV likes this.
  12. 0p2_ADV

Oddometer:
    Group of 3 from SoCal . 650 Serato, 890, and 1290. We'll be leaving to Montana on the 17th
    McLaughc likes this.
  13. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    And I'm off! Weather is perfect so far, no rain in the forecast. I really want to get through New Mexico without rain.

And important update: Hachita now has gas. Bought some today. Saves a detour east on 10 to the gas station.
    20210610_092639.jpg
  14. bugoutmoto

bugoutmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning to do this ride in the future. Curious how you are handling logistics of getting to the start and back home after the finish. Seems like a lot of road miles. Oh yeah, how much time off are you taking to do this?
  15. 0p2_ADV

Oddometer:
    My group and I will be working on our way South hope to catch you on the trail 2 KTMs and a BMW
  16. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I rode 1,400 miles to get to the speck on the map of Antelope Wells. I was ridiculously excited to be there, considering there isn't one single thing in the area. Even the port of entry is closed. It will take me as long as it takes, no worries because I'm self employed (semi-retired). I think it could be done easily in three weeks.

One bit of intel for those of you following Cannonshot's tracks: North of Grants, NM The track goes through a section listed as "possibly private." It is DEFINITELY private. I rode right into a ranch operation, scattering cattle as I went. I fully expected to get some buckshot in the ass as I hastily beat a retreat. Keep in mind that Cannonshot's tracks are 11 years old now, and plan accordingly. I ended up taking asphalt all the way to Cuba, NM.
    Ladybug likes this.
  17. helmethair

helmethair Helmet Hair

Oddometer:
    Just checking back in. Good to see all of you getting on the CDT. My friend and I will be leaving after the 4th of July weekend. We will be starting from Kernville, Ca so we have the, very hot, southwest desert to cross to the Mexico border. Our exact start date will be determined by the forcasted tempertures. As soon as its non-heatwave conditions were off. We will be sporting "cool vests" and starting super early. Will stop early afternoon at hotels with a pool and a bar. Both of us being retred, we have no set schedule. Hope to see you out there. I'm on a DR650 and my bud rides a KLR.
    Question: Does anybody know if the Canada border is currently covid restricted?
  18. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    The Canadian Border is still closed and there isn't a projected opening date as of yesterday.
  19. helmethair

helmethair Helmet Hair

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bug! Hopefully it will be open by the time we get up there.
  20. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may want to wait until fall to avoid the heat in the south and Monsoon season which can turn some to the dirt road into quagmires of sticky goo. Another advantage is that you won't have as many of those pesky skeeters. Just don't wait too long and get into hunting season where you will come across hunters racing out to their favorite spot that they have had their camp set up for weeks.