Cedarville and Silver City . . . Sheldon and Hart

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by 97707, May 21, 2018.

1. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oregon, Nor Cal, Nevada, Idaho. Probly 90% dirt.

Back in January, inmate @Sfcootz proposed a rally in Cedarville, CA for May 10-13. Here’s the thread:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/cootz-end-of-pavement-rally-cedarville-ca-may-10-13-2018.1275600/.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to go discover some of that Black Rock/ High Rock desert and maybe see some Owyhee country that I’ve been jonesing to explore. So I put it on my calendar and started trying to find other riders that might be interested.

Like usual, I spent some quality time with GoogleMaps, sussing out routes and locations and building some GPX files to follow. Which are a good guide but then you end up doing something else.

I left home in Central Oregon on Wednesday 9 May, riding down thru Fort Rock and Christmas Valley. On advice from inmate @Mr Dual Sport, here:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-northwet-name-the-location-thread.743814/page-662#post-34555259

Instead of taking the Hogback road to Plush, which I’ve done a few times, I went by way of the sunstone mines and Rabbit Hills on the Bacon Camp Rd. It was longer and rougher, but nice empty country. No one anywhere out there but me and some beeves. Good dirt.

IMG_2114 2.jpg
    Poker Jim Ridge and Rabbit Hills area

As you get down between the rims, the trail crosses mixed scrub and playa with just a few mud patches to dodge. A couple months ago it was no doubt impassable, but now it invites you to crank it on. Fun.

IMG_2118 2.jpg
    Bluejoint vicinity dry lake

snip Christmas to Hart Spring.JPG
    Map, first part

2. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    I set up at the birders camp at Hart Rd and County 311, because they have good water and it was that time of day. With a hearty meal and a good night sleep, I fueled at Plush next morning at headed up to Hart Spring the hard way.

IMG_2130 2.jpg
    Its an old CCC camp, just under the rim

3. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thursday. I’d been wanting to try this stunt for a while and here was gonna be my chance. Tho I should have saved it for a ride when I had some compadres along. Too bad you can’t just dial those up anytime you wanna go someplace.

snip Plush to Guano.JPG
    Map Plush to Guano

The plan was to take the road along the east side of Hart Lake and Crump Lake, up the Mud Lake Road past Robinson Lake, and over the top into Guano Creek. The Guano Rd takes you north to Hart Mountain Hot Spring. Sounds easy enough. Looks easy enough on the map. But 50 miles took me all of nine hours.

IMG_2140 2.jpg
    Hart Lake east side

IMG_2146 2.jpg
    Between the lakes

4. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why? Well I had to stop at the glass house and take pictures.

IMG_2199 2.jpg
    Glass House with metal art

Its not really glass. Its steel and plexiglass

IMG_2181 2.jpg
    Inside. Still well preserved for an abandoned place

IMG_2191 2.jpg
    Its out there

LittlePosum and TheAdmiral like this.
  5. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    With a view.

IMG_2189 2.jpg
  6. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    When it got warm, I had to shed gear and have a siesta at this old homestead.

IMG_2203 2.jpg
    Before glass houses, this was how the homesteaders did it

IMG_2205 2.jpg
    They could watch over the cattle from their front yard

Not far past there, I had to get down and bushwhack to find the trail. It kinda gets lost in the tall grass.

IMG_2206 2.jpg

7. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    But it seemed most of the time was spent fighting the grade up Fischer Canyon, which is probly less than ten miles, but its steep and stony in places with loose rock and it wanted to offer up a lot of insubordination.

IMG_2232 2.jpg
    Steep and stony with loose rock

IMG_2223 2.jpg
    Robinson Lake is on the way

IMG_2233 2.jpg
    Keep going, its 1500', you're not done yet

Apple Jam likes this.
  8. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Up on top finally is a big wide open, with a panoramic 360 to the far hills.

IMG_2244 2.jpg
    Topping out

IMG_2242 2.jpg
    Looking back towards Warner Mountain

IMG_2237 2.jpg
    Looking southeast

Apple Jam and Humunn like this.
  9. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Guano Road is a pleasure cruise, except for a few water crossings which made me hope to heck I didn’t dump it way out there and alone.

IMG_2247 2.jpg
    Going down into Guano Creek

IMG_2254 2.jpg
    Guano crossing

IMG_2256 2.jpg
    North toward Hart Spring

It was late and a chill wind blowing when I got to the Hart Spring camp. There is still snow up on the hill and I was expecting a lone set up and hunker down kind of a night.

As I roll into camp, a guy flags me and says, “Hey are you 97707?”

Apple Jam and Sfcootz like this.
  10. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was ADV inmate @OR400, I had been trying to coordinate with him before I left and we had missed each other. So I had the pleasure of his company for the evening and we chatted by the fire for a spell. In the morning, he was headed to Elko and I was bound for Cedarville by way of the Beatys Road.

IMG_2259 2.jpg
    Snow isn't off the high ground, and a chill north wind was blowing

Here’s a warning for anyone wants to do this route. I didn’t find out till I got down to Guano and it was too late to turn back, but that road and a mess of others are supposed to be closed till mid June. So if you go out there, check the closure dates.

IMG_0515 (2).JPG
    The hot spring is nice if you hit it when its not crowded

11. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Friday, it was cloudy and cool. I took the Rock Creek Road to the Flook Lake Rd and Beatys Butte Rd. I had planned South Boundary to Shirk Ranch, but I didn’t want to push my luck with the closed road rules. That gets to wait for next time.

snip Hart to Adel.JPG
    Map, route Hart Spring to Adel

IMG_2276 2.jpg
    Flook Rd

Rock Creek is fast gravel. Flook is good dirt with some rocky sections. The Beatys Butte Rd is wide gravel.

Apple Jam and Sfcootz like this.
  12. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Came across this curiosity between the reserve boundary and the Butte Road. Somebody’s post-apocalypse hideout, looks like.

IMG_2278 2.jpg
    Thought it was some kind of military installation from a distance

IMG_2280 2.jpg
    A stout masonary box. Couple shipping containers and a picnic table for the homey effect.

IMG_2287 2.jpg
    Inch thick steel blast doors in case of hellfire missile attack.

In Adel for fuel I found @shooter450 and some of the California riders out for a spin, and a scenic couple hours later I was sitting around the fire, beer in hand, getting to know the Cedarville rally folks.

13. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cedarville is a charming little town in the Surprise Valley, with a ridge of snow capped peaks along the west side and a pair of big seasonal lakes in the basin.

IMG_2316 2.jpg
    Down at the foot of those hills

They look to have some civic pride and it shows in the fairgrounds where we camped. We pitched our tents on a lawn and had toilets and showers handy. A hot shower sure is welcome after a long dusty ride. Thanks, Cootz.

Cedarville rally camp.jpg
    Photo pilfered from inmate @NSFW

14. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Proud to be a 0.6106142755%er Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wings

I'm so stoked about your report. Thank you for coming to Cedarville. It was a genuine pleasure to meet you.
    SFMCjohn, Mofrid and 97707 like this.
  15. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saturday 12 May. This was a day for riding local. Oregon inmate @Apple Jam had been in town most of the week, straight over from a campout at Ludlum on the coast. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/may-04-06-2018-sw-oregon-campout.1274192/

I had been messaging with inmate @IdahoMtnRider about meeting up here too. Wasn’t sure he’d make it cuz he'd been off sailing in Mexico. Good thing, he showed. The three of us did a big loop, down to Eagleville and up the Hays Canyon Road, jog SE on County 34 and NE on the High Rock Canyon Rd to Stevens Camp.

IMG_2297 2.jpg
    Scott and AJ. Look at the tankage on that bike.

BLM keeps a full service cabin Stevens Camp, available to the public. Some folks were camped at it with quads and gear and coolers for the long haul.

IMG_2292 2.jpg
    That's right, I got a pic of the sign and not the cabin. Guess my concentration wasn't on photojournalism. Maybe somebody else got one.

We tried a shot down the High Rock primitive road to High Rock Lake and over to the 217 road to Soldier Meadow. That’s only about 25 miles, but just the first one or two showed it to be big bike not-friendly, an invitation to break something in a place you can’t self rescue. You won’t get a truck and trailer in there.

AJ took some pics he posted over at http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/black-rock-desert-high-rock-canyon.1057850/page-5 post #84

Apple Jam likes this.
  16. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    So we went to a plan B and rode all over the Badger Mountain roads and out to Hwy 8A for a fast track home. Heckuva dirt day in good company. About 150 miles worth. Traveling with two fast riders, both on 990s, will keep you scrambling.

snip May 12 loop.JPG
    Map that day looks like this. File: https://drive.google.com/open?id=157tMQ1JutqNi2F31or3dlMbhvMokljrM&usp=sharing]

We were just getting acquainted with the country, looking for whatever was interesting. Found this place I called Robber's Roost.

IMG_2306 2.jpg
    Has a little spring and a barn by it.

Sheldon is called an antelope refuge but they have wild horse and burro out there too. These guys were checking us out as we rode up.

IMG_2302 2.jpg
    http://www.mustangs4us.com/HMA-Section/sheldon_wildlife_range_-_usfws.htm

Inmate @RockyRue gets props for feeding the whole crew. He made breakfasts, and had burgers waiting when we got back to camp. And @Mofrid was generous with his beer and had the forethought to get us a load of firewood delivered. Guys like this made the rally a joy. So a big hiphip to these gennelmen.

17. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sunday was epic. Scott (IdahoMtnRider) and I were headed to Owyhee, and looking to make some easting. We jumped on Hwy 8A and boogied for sixty miles or so onto the Sheldon Antelope Refuge.

IMG_2318 2.jpg
    8A. In Nevada a road like this is called a highway

Then we turned east to get into deep bush. Another 6 or 10 miles put us on the Devaney Road which heads up to Virgin Valley.

IMG_2322 2.jpg
    On to the Devaney Road

IMG_2326 2.jpg
    Gets you out onto some broken country

18. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    On Devaney, between Badger Mountain and Peacock Mine, you are well out there. No people and not much sign of them. Its mostly all a good bad road. When you get to Hell Creek, it’s a tad sketchy. Steep down and up, with a washout, and a water crossing at the bottom. That washout is about one rainstorm away from closing the road. The place is just a big beautiful empty, more home to antelope and wild horse than man.

IMG_2338 2.jpg
    Down to Hell Creek

IMG_2342 2.jpg
    The road goes down and up again

IMG_2340 2.jpg
    There's a water crossing in the bottom. If we weren't so busy doing it I would have got a picture

19. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    At the north end is the Peacock Opal mine. For a fee, you can park your RV and dig for gem stones. The water crossing getting there from the south could be challenging in a wetter season. On up from the mine is a warm pool at the no-fee Virgin Valley Camp, and the Duferena Ponds.

IMG_2346 2.jpg
    There's still plenty more of this

IMG_2351 2.jpg
    Eventually dropping down to Virgin Valley

snip May 13 route.JPG
    Sunday's ride. File: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UDRBaYF1MDcZuERYvUT8UIuAx4bv0lNK&usp=sharing

LittlePosum likes this.
  20. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    At that point you’re just about to Hwy 140 and maybe 25 miles to Denio Junction, 55 to Fields the easy way. But we didn’t do the easy way. We did the ADV way.

IMG_2355 2.jpg
    Rain clouds were all around as we went up the Deep Creek valley

Take the Bog Hot Road north from Hwy 140 about 25 miles and turn east on the Domingo Pass Road over the Pueblo Mountains summit. About 12 miles and 1,000’ up and down later, arrive at Hwy 205 just south of Fileds. Scott had a tip to try this one, and it was a thumbs-up jewel in the day.

IMG_2362 2.jpg
    Going up Domingo

maps 2.jpg
    These maps were useful on the trip.

No contours on them, but they show BLM and private boundaries which is helpful with planning.

AZ Africa Twin likes this.