Cee and Dave to INOA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Solarmoose, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Monday Jul 10
    The wife and I are headed out tomorrow morning for a ride down the AlCan to Elma, Washington to take in the International Norton Owners Association national rally which starts next Monday.

Nope, not taking the Norton, my old body couldn't take that anymore though I'm sure the Norton would do it... maybe.

I have done long runs on it, this one from the early '80's. We packed light in those days:
    [​IMG]

What she looks like today:
    [​IMG]

We'll update along the way as wifi allows. We're both riding BMW R1200 GS, I'm on a white GSA and Cee is on a Expresso GS. Maybe we'll see you along the way. Ride well, ride hard.
  2. Solarmoose

Oddometer:
    Bikes are anxiously waiting.
    [​IMG]
    won't sleep much tonight.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. northernfrontier

northernfrontier Ride on

Oddometer:
    Save travels and remember to have fun....
    Solarmoose likes this.
  4. richardak

richardak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Solarmoose likes this.
  5. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watching enviously...Ride well & have a great time!
    Solarmoose likes this.
  6. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good time!
    Have fun and enjoy it. (Like we have to tell you two, ha ha. :photog)
    :beer
    Solarmoose likes this.
  7. Solarmoose

Oddometer:
    Tuesday July 10 Departure

Out the door and down the road at 8am to nice weather.
    [​IMG]

The highway roughly follows the Tanana River all the way to Tok, though it is not visible very often.
    [​IMG]

We added lower flood lights to Cee's bike to help with visibility to other drivers.
    [​IMG]

Coming into Delta Junction
    [​IMG]

The highway splits here, to the right stays on the Richardson Highway, to the left begins (or ends) the Alaska Canada,
    or AlCan for short, highway. The name is shortened to the Alaska highway in Canada.
    [​IMG]

One of several river crossings.
    [​IMG]

The cloud cover is getting thicker but nice temperatures.
    [​IMG]

Coming into Tok and our first gas stop for the day.
    [​IMG]

We stopped at Fast Eddy's restaurant for lunch. Its a great place. Saw this very nice '51 Mercury.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Across the border and into Yukon
    [​IMG]

We stopped in Beaver Creek to gas up the bikes. We could see some thick looking rain clouds ahead not knowing
    if the road will take us under them.
    [​IMG]

Only a little rain as we came to our stop for the night. We've never stopped here before, it is a very
    nice but small place. The blueberry tarts were quite good.
    [​IMG]

Nice cabin and very quiet since they shut the genset down at night and run on batteries and solar.
    [​IMG]

but when we woke up in the morning, it was 40f outside. brrrrr
  8. Solarmoose

Oddometer:
    Wednesday July 11

Its a cold start in the morning. Warmed up to 49 when we left. We stopped at Kluane Lake for this pose.
    [​IMG]

Past the lake and climbing up several summits the road side was ablaze with flowers.
    [​IMG]

We stopped in Haines Junction for gas and lunch.
    [​IMG]

We saw very little sun today, a short time after Haines Junction was all. Temps never got above 60F and kept the layers on and Gerbing jacket liners plugged in.
    [​IMG]

Stopped in Teslin YT for gas, dinner and a motel. Very busy place and not quiet.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow the Cassiar highway.
  9. Solarmoose

Oddometer:
    Thursday July 12

Cool again this morning at 43F. First thing is to cross the long Teslin River steel grate bridge.
    [​IMG]

Steve: Team Willow Billie adjunct member is now in Canada. Any orders while on this mission?
    [​IMG]

Most of the morning was spent completing the Alcan portion. We turned onto the Cassiar highway just before noon and found new pavement right away. This is a fun constantly turning, up and down road. There is a mix of chip seal and some gravel with a challenging section just past the Stikine River bridge that goes up, turned into wet dirt/gravel with a tight banked 130 turn going up a steep grade. I wanted us to go back down and grab a few pics of Cee negotiating this but she thought once in a day was enough. We'll ride north the same way, going down will be even more fun! I'll take pics then.
    [​IMG]

Break for lunch at a quiet rest stop.
    [​IMG]

Scenes like this are a constant.
    [​IMG]

Another break beside a creek.
    [​IMG]

Must throw rocks into water.
    [​IMG]

Lots of wet and cold in the afternoon as the road climbed up to 4000' with temps in the low 40's. Cold and wet...

Our stop for the day was just past Iskut at Red Goat Lodge. It had been raining and we were getting wet, then found out this place did not have a restaurant requiring a 6 mile ride, in the rain, to a restaurant at another lodge and then back to Red Goat. On the plus side the room was very nice. Heated floors meant drying gear could lay on the floor. Note to self, check facilities to see if food is available before making reservation. We did sleep well.
    [​IMG]

tomorrow we complete the Cassiar.
  10. Solarmoose

Oddometer:
    Friday July 13

The room at Red Goat last night, what didn't get hung up was thrown on the floor to dry. Gotta like that.
    [​IMG]

Just before we turned in last night the sun poked through the clouds to reveal the mountains.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately when we got up this morning, it was foggy, heavy mist and cold. A common theme so far. I figured once we lost some altitude it would warm up. And it did!!! Sun and blue sky.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped beside a creek to eat lunch. It was warm. Warm now defined as above 50. Actually it was low 60's.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Temps got up to 70. Everywhere we've been people are saying its been a cool summer with few hot days.
    [​IMG]

We stopped in Burns Lake BC for the night. Had a wonderful dinner at Tandori Bliss restaurant. Excellent Indian food.
    [​IMG]

Gonna be warm tomorrow. I hope.
    Dago, Fast Idle, jackalsour and 2 others like this.
  11. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    “I wanted us to go back down and grab a few pics of Cee negotiating this but she thought once in a day was enough.”
    I have what I imagine is a pretty accurate picture in my mind of Cee’s expression & tone as she told you that. :lol3

I was wondering about what looked like a backtrack on the satellite...glad it wasn’t anything serious.
    :beer
    Solarmoose likes this.
  12. richardak

richardak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Envious… A much different trip on a motorcycle even if it does have an extra wheel. I’m enjoying the photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Solarmoose likes this.
  13. Solarmoose

Oddometer:
    Tone was very matter-of-fact bordering on emphatic, as in end of discussion. Expression? your guess is as good as mine. I've only known her for 40 years. :rofl
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  14. Solarmoose

Oddometer:
    Extra wheel? I only have two. One would be insufficient....
  15. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Let’s just say I was extrapolating from how Hannah likely would’ve responded to me in that situation. :D
    Solarmoose likes this.
  16. Solarmoose

Oddometer:
    Saturday July 14

It was cool, 40's, in Burns Lake when we got up but the sun was out and temps warmed up quickly to 60's.
    [​IMG]

First break of the day to shed a layer. Cee reports her brand new Gerbing heat controller is dead. We'll order one and have it shipped to my brother's house in Woodinville and ship the bad one back to Revzilla. Won't need it until we start north.
    [​IMG]

Beautiful countryside on the way into Prince George.
    [​IMG]

Somewhere south of Prince George, BC.
    [​IMG]

Taking a Subway lunch break in Quesnel BC. Wasn't hot, but nice to get out of the sun for a few minutes.
    [​IMG]

Somewhere south of Williams Lake BC.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting near the end of our ride today. Not much traffic on the road.
    [​IMG]

Our stop at Round-Up Motel in Clinton BC. Have stayed here before. Nice place. Was near 80F here.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow turn off on 99, Sea to Sky highway, to Horseshoe Bay and the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.
  17. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like a great journey you guys are on .
    Buen viaje, mis amigos !!!!
    Solarmoose likes this.
  18. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I will be following this little journey with interest. We attended the INOA meeting in Branson, Missouri back in 84 when we spent 12 months in Nth America, 7 of them touring on an 81 Low Rider. Either heroically or tragically I still own an Norton a 74 Mk2a Interstate. But mine's silver. :D Carry on sir, and lots of pictures once at the event please. :clap
    Solarmoose likes this.
  19. Solarmoose

Oddometer:
    Julio!!! good to hear from you my friend. We have fond memories of your time with us. I hope all is well with you and Luisa.
  20. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Elma? I didn't think anything interesting ever happened in Elma! (I grew up in Centralia.)

Enjoy the journey, thanks for inviting us along.

doc
    Solarmoose likes this.