Cell service?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by MrBob, Sep 18, 2019.

1. tenmile

tenmile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Switched from Sprint to Verizon (Line 1) and Verizon to Google Fi/TMobile (Line 2) in the last two months due to job changes and desire to have eSIM to use dual lines on one device.

I am astounded at how bad Verizon service has gotten in the past 2-3 months. Seriously. Used to be incredibly good, but something happened and everywhere I used to get good service, I no longer. And I made the switch from Sprint -> Verizon because Sprint used to be terrible but I'm actually now regretting that...
  2. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    My coverage also seems worse than it used to be. I have especially experienced issues with unrealiable voicemail (somtimes VM arrives days late, sometimes never) and group MMS not arriving at all.
  3. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My VM can be as much as 2 or 3 days late. Doesn't help my business.
    Malamute likes this.
  4. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Middle antenna's LTE (Front puck is GPS, rear whip is for two-way radio)
    [​IMG]

BDA under the back seat
    [​IMG]

Good for another "bar" or two out in the sticks.
    Where you might have 1-bar 1x, the BDA will make it two-bars 3G.
    Won't bring service in where there isn't service, but it'll make shitty service useful.
    [​IMG]
    TheMuffinMan likes this.
  5. tenmile

tenmile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you put the internal repeater? I tried a Wilson unit a few years ago and didn’t have wonderful luck with it, but I sort of half assed the install (magnetic antenna, stickied the interior antenna to the dash) since I was trialing it. Never seemed to get great repeater service or would throw ‘looping’ errors. Wanting to try it again at some point again now since my internal home repeater works so well.
  6. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    It's just under the center console. Phone's probably 8-12" away from it, either on the armrest/console (where it usually lives) or in the cupholder.
    The little dinky mag-mount that it comes with is shit... the RG174 cable on it is convenient because it's small/thin/flexible, but it's really lossy and you lose a lot just in the cable. An NMO mount with decent cable, great ground plane (roof of the truck), and a decent antenna (EM-Wave LTE)... things work well.
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    We have no cell service where we live :patch

One of the places we like to mountainbike / camp in Fruita is right on the cusp of service. We run a weBoost in the camper.
    It takes us from "might be able to send a text message" to "watching netflix with no buffering". Works well for those fringe environments.

The weboost does nothing where we live (you can't boost no signal)
    :photog
  8. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    What will work is satellite internet with a network extender. :deal
    Adds a bit of latency, for RoIP it's totally useable. VoIP stuff, the lag is noticeable.
    Usually 20-50mbit down, 3-8mbit up. Not too bad, but I wouldn't want to use it all day every day.
    Verizon pushed a bad update that weekend and took cell out to the entire town. Nice job guys. :lol3
    With satellite+networkextender, we had a little bubble of cell service around incident command. (Along with wifi. :D)
    [​IMG]
    Geek likes this.
  9. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    900ms is more than a "bit of latency" :photog...but nice setup!
    We'll have to make due until the LEO mesh is done ;)

:freaky