Central and South America on a Road King

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RoadHD, Jul 26, 2010.

1. RoadHD

RoadHD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's really kind of you, thanks for reading through my Ride Report, great to see that it's still receiving love! I was extremely disheartened to learn of Lonesome George's passing, such a shame.

Thanks again,
    - Rob
  2. jayhawkclint

jayhawkclint n00b

Oddometer:
    I just saw your Africa ride report in the current Vol25 2014 US version of HOG Magazine. I wish HD would've given you the space of the whole magazine to write the story. Maybe some of those readers will eventually find this thread. What an amazing journey - thanks so much for sharing it.

R,
    Clint

3. fivepoint

fivepoint n00b

Oddometer:
    Read this RR and HOG article over two days, what an inspiring story. As a newbie to long distance riding (and starting my own NY->CA trip next week on a Harley), I will be thinking of Rob's journey whenever I need to overcome an obstacle on my own.
  4. RoadHD

RoadHD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jayhawkclint -
    Sweet, I'm so excited the US edition of HOG picked up my "London to Cape Town" article!! The US article has loads of different pict's from the UK/Europe/African editions.

I really enjoyed sharing stories from the trips in the Central American Ride Report, and I was hit with vivid memories reading post - absolutely makes me want to get on the bike again.

Oh, to anyone who's not a HOG member and interested in seeing pict's of a Road King stuck in African Mud - or are curious what damage hitting a donkey at speed does to a Harley, I suspect HOG sends out a few magazines to each HD dealership, so you can check their lobby's (and restrooms).

Fivepoint - good luck on your trip, you'll be fine - don't over think any of it and just enjoy the ride. I was terrified when I set out, but after a few hundred miles on the bike, I knew there was nowhere else I'd rather be. If/when you encounter an obstacle, just remember that it'll make a great story one day. Good luck (and PM me with any questions).

Cheers,
    - Rob

5. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So true! Two great quotes come to mind:

It's not an adventure until things stop going as planned.

The difference between and adventure and an ordeal is attitude.
  6. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:

+1:d
  7. jstrahn

jstrahn n00b

Oddometer:
    Rob,

Thanks for the awesome RR. It was truly one of the most interesting and funny things I've read in a long time.

As a fellow Harley rider, it is good to know there are guys like you out there that didn't buy it for the marketing hype and to ride it 500 miles a year around town between toothbrush cleanings.

You've inspired me to challenge myself a bit more and to step out of my comfort zone to go places that I was apprehensive to before. For that, I thank you.
  8. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rob,

First off, I hope you're doing well these days and that Charley is still in your life. I'd had a shit day at work on Monday and somehow my mind wandered to a comforting place.....the feeling of freedom when traveling this world on a bike. I immediately went to my subscribed threads here on ADVrider and re read this truly inspiring report. Sadly, my life won't allow for this kind of trip at the moment, but there's some satisfaction in living vicariously through your adventures. I commute every day on my bike and not a day goes by that I don't at least have a fleeting thought about just passing by work, heading south on I5, and taking the coast all the way to Panama or beyond. Well, I'd probably avoid the slab where possible :D But thanks again for putting this down for us to read. If nothing else, it brought me comfort when I needed it. So, catch us up with you these days!!!!:clap
  9. Jbrjbr21

Jbrjbr21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been reading this for first time and am amazed thought a reply would bump it up. This story should be read by all arrogant Harley Davidson bashers.
    JagLite, slipknot, sinned and 2 others like this.
  10. sraff

sraff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd spent several years trying to save for a KLR or BMW because I knew that's what I needed for a trip like this. Then found and started following this thread. I realized that the best bike for this trip is the bike you take on the trip. So, I jumped on my Vstar and did 2 months in Mexico. And had a blast. If he could ride a Road King to TDF, I could survive 2 months in Mexico without THE perfect bike for the trip. I have credited this thread for me finding the balls to go, instead of putting it off for another year, then another, then........
  11. IdahoGaucho

IdahoGaucho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is one of my all time favorite ride reports. I’m glad to see it back again.
    JagLite, vtwin and knight like this.
  12. sraff

sraff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, 10 years ago I started reading everything that I could find on riding through Latin America and then found advrider about 9 years ago. It was like I was 10 years old again, and names like RoadHD, Crashmaster, and Throttlemeister were my super heroes. I looked up to these guys (even though I'm considerably older than any of them), as if they represented devine intervention. Somebody finally understood what is in my heart, my soul.
    Well I own the bmw now (NOT that it's necessary) and this summer I'm going to follow in the footsteps of my super heroes
    JagLite and SuperD! like this.
  13. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Any bike will do just fine but be sure its not something that is prone to failure causing you stranded and waiting for part for weeks and weeks. I was going to ride my dual Sportster down until I had 3 ignition module failures and it was difficult to find one. I was in Jacksonville FL when it happened.. HD of Jax, Daytona, and JP Cycles didnt had any in stock and the price was whopping $450! I had to settle for one on ebay for $260 but that would not happen in Latin America. 6 days I waited before I got it and back on road to NC. Road King is one of few reliable Harleys, though!