1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Central Asia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by truthispathless, Dec 30, 2016.

1. truthispathless

truthispathless n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Newbie apologies. Sorry if this already has a thread and ample information elsewhere. I live in Uzbekistan, Central Asia and am about to ride or ship a bike there next spring or summer. Within a couple of hours from Tashkent there should be nice mountain trails. Also plan to do weekend camping journeys in the region (I previously worked and lived in Tajikistan and a little bit in Kyrgyzstan).

In Uzbekistan it is not always easy to find higher octane fuel. Outside Tashkent at least this year there has been major problems with that. The available fuel tends to be around 80 (euro) octane. I would assume that in the other countries of the region the situation is better but could be as bad in the smaller towns.

My question is this: should I buy a specific type of bike to bring down there due to higher octanes being normally unavailable? I read that some bikes kind of autoadjust for this too.

I am looking at taking a middleweight adventure bike there e.g. transalp, v-strom, tiger or the like. Also been thinking of a more enduro type like ktm enduro, as I would mostly wander around on trails (as opposed to going on tarmac in the region).

It was not many years ago, when motorcyclling was prohibited in Tashkent centre altogether due to security issues. These days you can hear some engines roar and speed especially at night.

Thanks for any tips on how to live with low octane and enjoy it!
  2. BGil

BGil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had no problem using low octane fuel with a KLR when I was in Uzbekistan. I suppose a simple engine with carburetor is more tolerant.

I think that the KTM 990 Adventure has a switch to adjust the fuel injection to lower octane. Maybe you should check their website.

Try to post your question in the Garage section of ADVrider; it's about mechanic more than about UZB, isn't it?
  3. CrescentWrench

CrescentWrench n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh my gosh. You are about to do a good portion of my dream trip. Motorcycling and camping across Central Asia, aka stan-land. I am eyeing the old Silk Road for its potential...