Central Florida Riding

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Eagletalon, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,

My brother will be riding from VA last week in September and will be here for 3 days. Any good asphalt roads worth exploring? He will be riding a concours and I on a k1200rs. We don’t mind traveling south or north a couple of hours to get to the better stuff.

Later
    Jon
  2. Tom1125

Tom1125 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dan Diego and Ginger Beard like this.
  3. Foo Bar

Foo Bar Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    Also check out: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Florida_85.html

There are lots of great roads north of Apopka, starting around Lisbon and going to the gulf coast west of I75, or go east of Ocala. If you have a GPS, just make sure to turn off tolls, interstates, and highways...county roads and smaller I think are more fun on a K-bike. I'd personally avoid anything south of you, and east of I95 has too much traffic, and avoid teh larger cities in north-central Florida. Your brother might enjoy some cruising along the ocean for a short bit if you find a remote part without much traffic - though I think that gets boring fast. With a K-bike, I've done longer day trips into north Georgia and back [no interstate], those were fun trips but you should be close to a iron-butt type for that.

Map recon with something like Google Earth can help plan fun routes.

Enjoy the K! I'm a former K1200RS owner and loved it, awesome ride.
  4. microtom

microtom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with @Foo Bar with that motorcycle roads site. It is a great way to get started quickly in figuring out new places to ride.
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Look at the geographical feature known as the Lake Wales Ridge. Some fantastic riding all along it, beginning in Lake Placid and going all the way to ONF.

Also the area from Inverness to Brooksville and Dade City have beautiful riding.

You're in a prime spot for the best riding roads in FL whether you head South , West or North with the curviest and most scenic roads beeing south and west of you.
  7. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Around the Croom Wildlife Management Area there are several very nice back roads. No crazy twisties but a nice Florida ride.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I enjoy riding the the backcountry between Ruskin and Bowling Green. Some classic east of Tampa country backroads. Some call it the Tail of the Gecko combined with the Mines Roads.

I usually depart from Ruskin, and pass through towns such as Wimauma, Baum, Ft. Lonesome, Agricola, Bradley Junction, Mulberry and Pierce. This is truly “Old Florida.” Lots of phosphate mining in that area.

I continue north on Bonnie Mines Road To the 60, then turn south on the 555 right before Bartow and ride through some nice countryside until the 630.

I ride east until Highway 17/98 and ride south through the small towns of Historic Fort Meade and Bowling Green where I often stop to to eat at Smokin’ Joe’s BBQ before reaching Wachula. If I take the 62
    across toward Parrish at Hwy 301 instead of continuing down the 17 to Zolfo Springs and Hwy 64, I’ll end up at Sun City Center a tHighway 75.

This is a nice ride with little traffic, great weather and miles and miles of farmland and citrus orchards. The entire ride will take about 3 1/2 hours for the 110-mile loop. There are other roads to take in that area as a good map will show you hidden gems. If you have a dual sport, you can take some hardpack dirt or sand roads to connect with any of the roads I’ve mentioned.

DBD58FC2-8881-46C8-B60A-E33824668B55.jpeg
    bshock, danh600, sanjoh and 2 others like this.
  9. danh600

Oddometer:
    That is a nice area to ride. Smokin' Joes is good too!
    Dan Diego likes this.
  10. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you’re out riding that way and maybe we can meet up over some BBQ.
  11. danh600

Oddometer:
    We use to ride that area pretty often. We had a place in Lake Placid. I don't get over that way much anymore, but will certainly let you know.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  12. augerdin

augerdin I do my own crashing

Oddometer:
    the flat sandy part of Florida-you know the place.
    Take a ride up and around Sugarloaf, I think it is the 5th highest point in Florida. For a short distance you will find it hard to believe you are in Florida. On one of the roads in the area is a park with a nice overlook. Off in the distance across the lake Orlando is barely visable. Quite the view for being so flat. Stop in Monte Verde for some pizza. A good ride.
    Ginger Beard, Eagletalon and Sharkguy like this.
  13. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugarloaf_Mountain_(Florida)

Some enjoyable riding all around the area.
    rider1150gsadv and augerdin like this.