1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Central Sierra Noob ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Hesaid, Jun 24, 2014.

?

Multiple choice, choose as many as applicable:

1. Why aren't we doing this now

2. July

3. Aug

4. Sept

5. Whenever

6. Hotel

7. Cabin

8. Campground

9. Dispersed camping

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I was really concerned when we got back and found you had packed up already. The way you ride, your wife probably keeps tabs on the nearest hospital. :lol3

Glad to here that you're relatively OK.
  2. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Sorry Brice, but Herb, that line about LTS's riding is really funny.:poser
  3. ironbasher1

ironbasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again, Hesaid/Shesaid for a wonderfully planned and executed trip. A large mix of routes for all skill levels within close reach of camp says alot about your planning and pre-running. I had a great time and met some really interesting and great people. I was in a bit over my head on Fridays ride with Joe but it quickly forced me to be more assertive in my riding; pick a line,get on the gas and execute to the best of your ability, quit dickin around with indecision till you fall over, so it was a good confidence booster for me.The shiny Beta is all scarred up now, and I like it. ironbasher1
  4. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    We made it back! Glad to hear that everyone else did also. And very glad to hear that Long Tall Sally is doing ok. We've got all the normal arriving home chores to do, so more post will be coming later, I'll just throw these up here for now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back later with more write up, and dig around the pics some more.

MV
  5. Shesaid

Shesaid Still Trippin'

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear LTS is gonna be OK... but dude, next time could you at least let the dogs stay? Some of us were looking forward to some quality dog time when we got back to camp.:nod

Hesaid and I had fun riding with Mramosc (Marcel?) on Sunday, doing some easy stuff with great views. I was still bringing up the rear, but no one had to wait so long they had time to shut down and get off the bikes before I caught up!:rofl

[​IMG]

A lot of folks have mentioned they hope this becomes a yearly thing-- on that note, Hesaid and I are already deep in discussion over what we'd do differently about organizing and what roads/routes/trails to suggest.

Hesaid and I had arranged to take Monday off, not knowing how long this party was going to last. Everyone had cleared out by Sunday afternoon, leaving us all alone in the entire camp area! (and BTW: thanks to everyone for being courteous campers and packing everything out with you! the place was nice and clean when we left!)

We wandered back to our campsite and looked around. We looked at each other. Without the option of a campfire, we were faced with an echo-y sensation of the party being over. We could head back home, but that would likely just result in our Monday off being spent doing household chores.

:nono Nobody wants that!

But staying in camp another night all alone with no campfire seemed sad and lonely, so we moved our party to town!

[​IMG]

We scored ourselves a room at the Shaver Lake Inn, took long hot showers, and put on our best "goin to town clothes"... which made for comic ensembles as neither of us had packed a proper pair of "goin to town" SHOES! So we walked up the street in search of dinner in our short pants and moto boots.

We haven't really spent much time IN the town of Shaver Lake despite years of passing through on various backpacking/4WD/and moto trips, stopping only for gas and pizza. So our knowledge of the local restaurants is lacking...

We have decided that if this event is going to be repeated, we have a MORAL OBLIGATION to y'all to do some serious field research so we can offer future advice on lodging and dining options!

We ended up at the Trading Post:

[​IMG]

If we absolutely have to come up with anything negative to say about our experience, it would be that A. We would like a better selection of draught beers, and B. They need some awnings/umbrellas over the tables that are under the trees.

But it was easy enough to find some malted barely beverages to our liking in the wide selection of bottled brews (we opted for Rolling Rock.)

Then the hard part began-- the service was phenomenal. So we had to send our server back to the bar for more beer a couple of times before we could decide what to order.:freaky

The menu was pricey. Far in excess of the appearance of the establishment. The place looks like a local tavern, but the menu boasts of high end fare. But to our surpise, in the end, we enjoyed what we agreed was one of the BEST dinners either of us have ever had in a restaurant. Even if it did end up costing more than the hotel room.:eek1 SO worth it! And they didn't even laugh at our boots.

If we end up doing this ride every year, Hesaid and I are already planning to making the last night in town part of our tradition.

So glad to hear everyone made it home. Thanks for all the "thankses" and glad you enjoyed yourselves!
  6. GoSpeed

GoSpeed 'getting there

Oddometer:
    Even though we didn't ride with the big group, we still wanted to extend our thanks to HeSaid and SheSaid. What a nice event they planned and organized. I rode with Steve and Pamela, who ride two-up on their Husky 650. We decided to do things ass-backwards and ride the Bald & Beaver loop on Saturday, and the SheSaid Loop on Sunday. We hooked up with Bret on Saturday, who rides a KTM 525EXC, and headed up to Bald. Steve and Pamela turned back at the hard stuff while Bret and I motored on to the top.
    Then, on Sunday, we did the SheSaid loop, and got to experience all the stuff that everyone was talking about during "campfire." I enjoyed meeting Bret and hope to ride with him again in the future. I also enjoyed meeting all of you FF's and hope to see you again as well. Steve and Pamela wanted me to also say a big Thanks to He/SheSaid. It was a really fun weekend.

Here are a few pix:
    From the Observation tower, with Bret and our bikes in view.

Attached Files:

7. GoSpeed

GoSpeed 'getting there

Oddometer:
    Bret by his awesome KTM 525 EXC

Attached Files:

8. GoSpeed

GoSpeed 'getting there

Oddometer:
    me, by my 690

Attached Files:

9. GoSpeed

GoSpeed 'getting there

Oddometer:
    At the Hot Springs

Attached Files:

10. PotentialScat

PotentialScat aint

Oddometer:
    Fun weekend. Nice meeting new faces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

annd dark :lol3 sorry andrew you gotta learn sometime

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no video this time but here's an older video of sycamore springs end to end

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nH0eSOGfQr0?list=UU4F3nu77ADrWLNHJso9v0Uw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  11. Rustler

Rustler Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    First, great to hear LTS is OK! That was a huge get-off, and could have easily ended up with him in a helicopter.

Talking to Andrew at camp during Spam-A-Lot, he is a big Clint Eastwood fan but has never seen Kelly's Heroes. Crossing Bailey's Bridge was my departure point for the group ride, so this came to my mind. A portable bridge was also a key scene in the movie. Enjoy, and I hope Andrew and family are in good spirits in spite of the big quake.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kgeIINs1TrQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. GoSpeed

GoSpeed 'getting there

Oddometer:
  13. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Scat, I gotta say, that "Teppanyaki-Teriyaki-Tire-changing-Trailer" is one hell of an accessory. It does so many things. Did you get it at Cyclegear?

MV
  14. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I've had to do the extraction of others before and been the "first responder" to guys that did more damage than I did, so suffice it to say, it means a lot to me to know the community is there to help. I still can't move too quick and get dizzy from time to time, but the swelling has gone down and I suspect the shoulder will be somewhat functional in a week or so.

I'm mainly pissed as I'm supposed to be the one there to help as I'm supposed to not bin it...

Anyway, here are a couple pics that I got while I was still coherent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is this bridge?
  16. ironbasher1

Oddometer:
    Jeff, there are two of them on blackrock road above balch camp. Kinzea
  17. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never seen those.
  18. ironbasher1

Oddometer:
    Jeff,It looks kind of like a fish eye lens, as both bridges dont seem quite as long in person. I do know the narrowness of the road and the sheer drop still make me pucker after having been that way about 3 times.If you go to the current picture homepage,you will see another view of the bridge and topography that my friend Ofir shot when we did it on th v- stroms. Kinzea
  19. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heal up good, and come do it again. Well, not so much the wrecking part, but the rest of it. We'll all be around. Maybe we can even get some other ringers in to handle the crashing part (cough, cough, PCVance, cough, cough Grinch...).

In the meanwhile, while you're sitting around not moving too much, Ironbasher's sharp eyes noticed, and the modern miracle of geo-tagged photos confirmed, that the photo in the first post of this thread, the one labelled "Sycamore Springs road", just happens to be the exact spot where your adventure took place. The photo was taken on our pre-running trip, and was taken from the bottom of the knob you jumped off of, so it mainly shows what you tried to land in. Sorry I didn't get a good shot of where you went from there. Maybe if you had let me know your plans beforehand?

Great photos. I imagine you'll be giving your bike a good once over, but I thought I'd remind you all the same to take a look at the axle mounting block on the left rear. There is a crack in it, right about where the tensioning screw hits it. We talked briefly about it once you got back up onto the road, but I wasn't sure if you'd remember. You said it wasn't there before.

Oh, and a couple of us noobs were curious about that wreck-alert horn feature you had, is something you think you could retrofit to other bikes? Because it sure was handy.

MV
  20. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    The horn didn't really register with me right away as I was still determining what day of the week it was. :huh

Yeah I remember the axle block. The bike is going to get disassembled quite a bit as I put in the new springs for both ends and I need to check the cooling system, replace some known busted parts, and hopefully not find any other parts busted.

Thanks for the reminder, though.