1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Central Sierra Noob ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Hesaid, Jun 24, 2014.

?

Multiple choice, choose as many as applicable:

1. Why aren't we doing this now

2. July

3. Aug

4. Sept

5. Whenever

6. Hotel

7. Cabin

8. Campground

9. Dispersed camping

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wilderness? These mountains are just the backyard. Heck, I only saw one rattlesnake...

So you had extra time to get the chores done? Great meeting you, and next time, I think we'll have to plan on a steak dinner.

Glad you guys had a good time. dirt bike or no, I love your Dorsoduro. Did you guys take the longer way away from camp that we talked about? We did some of it on our Sunday ride, I'd forgotten some of the views of Shaver Lake. There's a better way down the mountain also, but I haven't prerun it. Next time.

Good to see you again, and yeah, the Bald Mountain view is pretty cool. I keep wanting to camp up near the top (but sheltered from the wind) some time during a meteor shower. I bet the night sky is amazing.

Spam sushi... I just don't know... But on the other hand, the parking seemed better than at the pizza place! Cool that you were able to rock the KLR to the top of the mountain. Next year the Dusy?

So Rustler, how was that ride home? What route did you finally end up taking? Did you go up Verplank?

Well, I was gonna ask for a Russian exchange student, but now that I've been warned...

Great pics. I think with that first one you got the closest thing we have to a group shot, just after Shesaid pulled up, so just before Long Tall Sally and Coarsegoldkid hit the trail.

If you think that water was nice, you ought to see what it's like during a non-drought year. I do think a midday river break is a good plan, we'll have to remember that.

How many streambeds did we cross on Sunday, or on Saturday for that matter? Though those lower elevation ones like on Saturday do normally only flow in the springtime. There's supposed to be quite a bit more water. I wonder what that little fall looks like with more flow.

Look at me all standing up and shit. It's like I'm not even a Noob! We should have just done Brewer while we were there!

Also glad to hear your ride home was a good one. Couldn't help but worry. I think you already had an impressive total of "downs" (I can't keep all the rules straight, how many do you get in this sport before you punt anyway?), I wasn't looking to hearing of any more. And innuendos? Yeah. Sure. All just innuendos...

Ironbasher, it was great to ride with you again as well. Maybe next time you and I ought to meet up for the ride over, head down to the Kings on the dirt, and then up Sycamore Springs. What type of range do you have on that Beta?

The part I bolded, I think that's some pretty good advice, nicely summed up. That indecision will get you. I know just this time there were spots that I wasn't sure about last time I rode them, but I did it just like you described, and then this time, I felt completely different about them.

MV
  2. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday's ride was indeed a good one. Also the one we got the most pictures from.

We had a great time. But I think I can do better, without ruining it all with schedules and fees. First off, we need a campfire, 'cause I don't think Adrisley is going to volunteer to get a flat every night!

Yeah... It's probably a good thing there are no pictures of this part. For those of you that thought I looked goofy wandering around camp in the mornings in a pair of shorts with those cheapy slip-on whatever shoes, let me just say that the look is not improved much by strapping on a pair of Scout boots. At least they covered more of my white legs!

That place was good. Seriously good. Mramsoc, we did you wrong. The Hungry Hut was a burger, but that's all it was. And an overpriced one at that (I still can't figure out their math...). This place? I don't know what they have on their lunch menu, but whatever it is, I'm willing to try it. The combo of the Trading Post and the Shaver Lake Village Hotel was great. We'll be doing that again.

It was good to meet all of you. How was the loop on Sunday? Two-up would seem to add a new dimension. For that matter, which way did you guys do Bald Mountain? Were they going two-up up the 4x4 trail? That'd probably make more than a few people turn around! Look forward to riding with you all again in the future, and even getting to know some of the folks I think we missed, like Bret. Was he one of the guys who showed up with a KTM and a brand new KLR? I barely got to talk to those guys.

MV
  3. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, and I noticed the poll votes at the top of the page. Who's the wiseguy that waited until the ride to vote?

MV
  4. mramosc

mramosc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the idea of making it an annual event.
    How about if we set for the weekend before labor day? that way we can all plan waaaayyy ahead.
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of the spot where LTS went over the edge. When I got there, the bike was laying near the bush next to the other guy in gray riding gear(sorry I forgot your name). You can see the skid marks going over the edge under the feet of the guy with orange pants (I'm terrible with names, and forgot your's too).

[​IMG]
  6. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    LTS redefines the term "off road". Glad you're ok brother.:clap
    High Country Herb likes this.
  7. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's nuts. This must have been after I came to as I'm standing on my own. There is a HUGE rock just to my right that must've been what I whacked my melon on.

Every day I get a little better, but man this goes without saying ATGATT!!!!!!!!!
  8. mramosc

mramosc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm the guy in gray riding gear in the picture.
    LTS, I gotta tell you; when we got there you were motionless, my first though was "Oh shit this is bad"... luckly, as soon as some of the guys started to pick you up, you kind of woke up.
  9. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I think I was the 4th or 5th person there, and the first couple of guys had already pulled you out from under the bike (I assume).

At that point, you were aware enough to ask us to stand the bike up to prevent it from leaking fuel.

Once you and the bike were upright, I climbed back up on the trail and took a video of you riding the bike out of there. (It wasn't an exciting video, because you made it look easy.) I don't know how to post video, but can email it to you.
  10. PotentialScat

PotentialScat aint

Oddometer:
    :eek1 that's a scary off. ima call you superflysally. :1drink
  11. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    :eek1 Yikes, I didn't realize it was that bad. First thing I remember was that 3 guys had to work fairly hard to get my monkey ass up- and then I promptly wobbled too much and had to sit down.

Once I gained some of my sensibilities, I was good enough, but to put me out that bad, I must have face planted directly on that rock.

And another heartfelt thanks for getting me up.
  12. Gebogen

Gebogen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maaan, this sucks, I missed a good one. I'll never get down to less than one bike running at a time ever again.
  13. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    "superflysally" I like!:deal
  14. Scrambleon

Scrambleon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations to Hesaid and Shesaid for a successful event!:clap It was right in my backyard and I couldn't even make it.:cry Hopefully I can make it next year. Sounds like fun.

Longtallsally, get well soon. The last time I saw you was in Silverton on the pig rolling in the mud and snow and then just a couple weeks later your making headlines in my neighborhood.:muutt It would of been fun to ride with you again. All except for the superflysally part of the ride..:D Lets ride!

Scrambleon
  15. cwenger

cwenger Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. ironbasher1

ironbasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Craig, those are really good videos of noob ride. I need to get my gopro going, so cool to have video record of your rides. Thanks for sharing. Kinzea
  18. cwenger

cwenger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah I will put more short vids, I was doing a few others but they kept freezing after 87% done and got frustrated. you can defenitly use these for the next ride.Some video I thought I recorded didn't get recorded too so I don't have everything I thought, but more to come
  19. piedralone

piedralone SoilSampleCollecter

Oddometer:
    Craig, where's the vids? need to see my crashes. Opps, I didn't crash that weekend. :roflBut had fun running drag. :lol3 Matt needs to get a ride for after the rain starts. :deal Martin
  20. mramosc

mramosc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about another weekend ride in November?!