Central Tex. Sunday?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Scary Mc, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Give me a shout if you want to ride Sunday.

-Scary
  2. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    where are you leaving from? What time?
  3. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    How bout this "Depart the Peach Tree Inn heading north on US 87. Turn right on US 290. Turn left on RM 1631. When you arrive at the intersection with RM 2721, veer left and stay on RM 1631. At the intersection with RM 1323, turn right. Wave good-bye to those who aren't lucky enough to own a GS or F650! In about 2 miles turn left on Althaus-Davis Road. At the Blanco County line the pavement ends and the road becomes Blanco County Road 310. In 7 miles CR 310 becomes RM 3347. Last year there were a lot of Bluebonnets along this stretch. At RM 962 turn left and then turn left again when RM 962 dead-ends in to SH 71. After traveling 3.4 miles turn left on Llano County Road 310. At the community of Click, turn right on County Road 308. In just about 1 mile, turn left on County Road 315. Along this route, the last of three crossings of Sandy Creek can be a little interesting. Arriving at SH 16, turn left and about a half mile later turn right on CR 113. Next you turn left on CR 112 which takes us right by the home of Enchanted Rock Magazine at the Triple Creek Ranch. When CR 112 dead-ends into RM 2323, turn left and go about 4 miles and then turn right on CR 110. This will take us to Loyal Valley. Here we'll turn right on RM 2242 and then another right on US 87. Then we go about 8 miles and turn right on Lower Willow Creek Road. At the intersection with SH 29, turn left and head into Mason for some BBQ at Cooper's. Head south out of Mason on US 87 and at the roadside park veer to the right on RM 1723. A couple of miles later turn right on RM 2389. After crossing the Llano River RM 2389 becomes a county road. Hang a hairpin right and you will be on the James River Road. Depending on how high the James River is, we may have to turn around and backtrack to US 87. Turn right on US 87 and go south about 10 miles until you reach RM 783. Turn right on RM 783. (If the river isn't too high, we'll follow the James River Road all the way to Eckert Road. We turn left and then after about 0.5 miles we turn right on Salt Branch Road. When we cross RM 783 we'll be on Lange's Mill Road.) At Lange's Mill Road turn left and follow it until it intersects RM 648. At RM 648 we take a left and follow it to US 87. Then we turn right on US 87, and 11 miles later we are back in Fredericksburg."

I'll be having breakfast Fredricksburg about 9:30am.
  4. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    where are you going for breakfast?
  5. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Beats the shit outta me.... I was just gonna find a mexican joint for some huevos rancheros. Want to meet up near Johnson City?
  6. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    how about we meet in johnson city at the y. Is 8:30 too early.
  7. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Works for me, I'll be on the silver GS w/ the Jesse's. I'm not firm on the route, it's just an idea. We can deviate if you like...

See ya there- Scary
  8. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Any of you other posers gonna make it? Cliff? Stephen? Hank? Patrick? Jim? Hardcore? Ted? Randy?
  9. AA5IB

AA5IB Wannabe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scary that's a brilliantly written route you suggested...

In a couple more weeks, I might actually be able to go out and play. Next week we close on the house we are buying in Georgetown and then will be moving everyone out of the house near Rockwall. So my 2 years as a weekend commuter will be over. (We didn't want to screw up my daughter's last 2 years of high school. She spent last week at UT orientation.) Once we get settled in the new house I can enjoy the thrill of what used to take a 3 day weekend to accomplish can now be just a day ride.

Randy:super
  10. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    I am going to try and head out there iin a little while.
  11. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I am also, but I'm not happy abou it...
  12. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    I'm getting over a bad cold right now. I'm always interested in a ride, but I need know to on Wed or sooner to make plans for the following weekend.
  13. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    It turned out to be a great day. My son and I took 307 from round mountain to Sandy then 1323 to althaus davis road then north to some unamed road northeast of 309 then up to click and back down 309 to althaus davis. great ride.

I have been making trips to mexico to ride off road in the copper canyon area for some years now without realizing there are some great roads right here.

There was some mud but the road was a real joy to ride.

Not as challenging as Mexico but really fun.

I see more exploring that needs to be done in that area.
  14. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I ventured out after the rain as well. I too rode the Althuas-Davis road, around 11am. We might have just missed eachother.

I rode a loop from Fred. to Llano and back, and then down 16 to Pipe Creek and back home on 46 to 281. It turned out to be a beautiful day! So much for the forcasted weather...

Mars, I've traveled quite a bit in Mexico as well, maybe we could get a Copper Canyon trip together...

-Scary
  15. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    I am going to Mexico in August. This is a group that I led into the canyon area October 2000.

copper canyon
  16. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear everybody got out riding last weekend. I was still recovering from working the Texas Water Safari. I'm still sleep-deprived. More espresso, please.

Howdy Mars! That's you John, isn't it?

I'm definitely riding this Sunday, early. Might need to go back towards the San Marcos River to return some Safari stuff. But I'm open to suggestions. James River and all sounds good. I don't think there's much water in it right now..nope, about 5 cfs. A dribble. Llano's low, too, but enough to jump into to cool off.

Hasta la vista.
  17. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    shure is.