Central Texas- Round Mountain Roundup. 4/29-5/1

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by aklein318, Jan 26, 2016.

1. aklein318

aklein318 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ROUND MOUNTAIN ROUNDUP 4/29-5/1
    So my parents bought a place in Round Mountain a few years ago. Their retirement goal is to have what my dad describes as an RV RESORT.

So like a really nice rustic, yet manicured Rv park that overlooks the town of Marble Falls. Their plan is to have about 8-12 full hookups for the snowbirds.

In addition to Rv hookups, they'll have several primitive Camp sites and several cabins. As of now this is a work in progress, so Rv hookups and cabins will be available down the road

In addition to the above, there is a big in-ground pool, and there will be a big patio, or cabana type covered area immediately adjacent to the pool.

They were a part of the Hill Country ride Philip and put together this past October. They followed our route in their truck, and were there to assist if someones bike broke down, or got cartwheeled into a rocky water washout alongside highway 83, North of Leakey, resulting in a broken engine case. Or, you know.... When someone ran out of gas.

They REALLY enjoyed the trip, and even more, everyone's company. They really liked the group that was in attendance.

So here's what they wanna put together--- they want to host, several times a year, a big DS rally. Their place is situated on Ranch Road 962, in Round Mountain. They'll have maps of various routes, as well as the ability to distribute the GPX files to who ever needs them. (Some of you may notice me asking for gpx files around that area)

My mom is an excellent cook, and has competed in local BBQ cook offs for the past 23 years. So she'll most likely set up to provide breakfast and dinner (think brisket, and similar vittles).

They're thinking the first one may happen around april or may. There won't be cabins or rv hook ups yet, but they'll probably start popping up this summer. They MAY have showers and bathroom facilities in place. If camping in a tent isn't your thing, there are several hotels & motels minutes away.

THIS THING IS A GO- APRIL 29, 30, (may) 1.

Similiar to the Roll the Bones rally, but in the heart of the Texas hill country.

Menu----
    Friday night--- Fajitas
    Saturday morning--- Breakfast pastries/ Kolaches
    Saturday night--- BRISKET, and all the fixin's
    Sunday morning--- Breakfast taco buffet.

We're gonna try to set up a deal with a local hotel on that side of Marble falls for discounted rooms, if that's your thing.

Dads gonna try his darndest to get the communal bathhouse done before this. If not, there will at least be porta-johns.
    Porta-shitters are reserved and will be there

This thing is a go, 100%. PM me by 4/27 with intentions so I can give you payment info (PayPal, or if you wanna mail a check, hit me up before then... Basically now.)
    cdk likes this.
  2. jaschil69

jaschil69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in the DFW area and would be interested for a ride that is almost local for me.
    aklein318 likes this.
  3. aklein318

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I'll try to keep this thread updated as this progresses. I've got about 600 miles of gpx routes for the area that's mostly dirt roads. I'll be adding more as I find it
    cdk likes this.
  4. AreyH

AreyH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ditto, looking forward to hearing more for two Killeen area riders.
    aklein318 likes this.
  5. txtinman

txtinman n00b Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in this. I would be camping. I'll also be on a 1200GS. Are there trails suitable for the big DS bikes?
  6. aklein318

Oddometer:
    The routes are perfect for big DS bikes, and small ones alike.

Ill also have a few asphlt-only routes that will be a little longer for the road guys. So far there's about 20 or so guys in, over on TWTex.
  7. cdk

cdk Swim Bike Run

Oddometer:
    Sounds good!
    aklein318 likes this.
  8. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a blast, and would be a wonderful break from a Northeast winter....but unfortunately a bit too far away. Good luck with your event!! Maybe I can make it there some day?!
  9. ADVchef

ADVchef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tapping in to monitor the thread,
    aklein318 likes this.
  10. Ship2shore

Ship2shore Sailor missing his bike

Oddometer:
    I should be in! Galvestonian here so that's just a short transit for me...
    aklein318 likes this.
  11. privateer

privateer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be into this also! I'm down in Wimberley.
    aklein318 likes this.
  12. CabKing

CabKing Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Have you finalized plans yet? Dates, tracks, etc. Let me know if I can help, I'm very familiar with the routes in the area.

Thanks,
    aklein318 likes this.
  13. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    RATZ!
    I'll just be getting back from this boondoggle I'm on in SoCal & MX and there are things Ill have to take care of at home - prob'ly about a week's worth of catching up, maybe only a couple of days but one of them is a checkup with my branch of The Medical Mafia so I'm gonna have to stay sorta close to home.

Count me in for future outings, though! :pynd :ricky :beer
  14. Eigerhiker

Eigerhiker "This is an Adventure"

Oddometer:
    Interested as well! I live in Southwest Austin. Really enjoy riding that area.
    aklein318 likes this.
  15. Silverbird

Silverbird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am definitely interested. Sounds like a good time!
    aklein318 likes this.
  16. Reinecke

Reinecke WAY DOWN SOUTH

Oddometer:
    Very interested
    aklein318 likes this.
  17. aklein318

Oddometer:
    Howdy fellers!!!

Okay, so this thing is a go!

Friday night- fajitas/fixins
    Saturday morning- pastries/fruit/etc
    Saturday night- brisket, BBQ, fixins'
    Sunday- BYOBT- Build your own breakfast tacos

Cost for camping is $10 per night
    Cost for event (no food) is $10
    Cost for food is $50

Porta-potties will be on site.

So, if you show up on Friday, and leave Sunday afternoon, and eat breakfast and dinner with us, the total is $80

Or---- figure $10/per meal otherwise.... Say if you're coming Saturday only, and eating, $10(event) $10 (breakfast) $10 (dinner)---- $30

PM me with intentions (sub- RM ROUNDUP) and I'll reply with PayPal info, and your total.

DEADLINE TO REGISTER (AND PAY) IF EATING WITH US IS 4/22, ( Friday). If you're bringing your own food to eat, you can pay for camping when you get there.

I'll be leading a ride Saturday, and Sunday most likely.

Neither are all day rides. 150 miles. About 4 hours.

For those of you familiar, there are TONS of good roads in the area. I've got some .gpx tracks for the few routes I made up.

Also have a 400 mile route that goes thru Bandera, kerrville, North through Click, etc. We did it in 2 days, taking our time. Halfway point is rirver road Inn in hunt. Beautiful ride, and some AWESOME DS stuff.

Here's some recent pics of the place, in round mtn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Eigerhiker likes this.
  18. aklein318

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, the sign up date for this is 4/27.

PM me here, if you're in. I haven't heard from anyone here yet, but on TWTex there's about 15 or so already committed.
  19. aklein318

Oddometer:
    Nobody came to my birthday parties either... :-/
    Silverbird likes this.
  20. jcat5503

jcat5503 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will there be another one next year?