Central Valley Camping

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by TrendyB, May 20, 2020.

1. TrendyB

TrendyB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking to go camping this weekend and need suggestions on primitive camp sites. Looking for some light dual sport action, maybe near a lake. I'm local to Lemoore/Hanford area and don't mind riding a little ways to get to the mountains or the beach. Do the beaches allow camping overnight? Are national forests open and do you have to camp in a campground, or can you make your own off the trail a bit? If anyone else is local and wants to link up and camp just let me know.
    Shodan2 and JPaccassi like this.
  2. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been to lake Isabella last weekend. Nice area, many campgrounds are open (and packed). Some are "closed" and hence not packed by cagers, but still accessable by bike. Also there are areas near the lake which are not official campgrounds and hence no special rules regarding camping there. Lake Isabella is within Sequoia N.F., and there are places to find a decent spot in there, near a creek, for instance near Kern creek.
    I liked the place and I'm down to repeat the escape this upcoming weekend as well!
    TrendyB likes this.
  3. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Most forests allow dispersed camping away from campgrounds...I pretty much just look for seldom used forest roads that are near creeks/rivers. The problem right now is that only dispersed camping is allowed which means all the good spots will be taken this memorial weekend. There will still be many places to camp, but they might not be the prime spots. Also, you need a fire permit if you intend on having one while dispersed camping. You can get one online here--> https://www.readyforwildfire.org/permits/. You can camp anywhere basically, to answer your off-trail question, as long as you're on foot..parking the bike on-trail & then hiking in & camping is all good.

There are a ton of places to camp between Shaver Lake & Wishon Lake off of Dinkey creek rd & McKinley Grove Rd. Check out Rock Creek Rd. near Bald Mountain, Bear Creek at the lower Swamp lake OHV turn off, or Ross Crossing...those are my go to areas usually.
    TrendyB likes this.
  4. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone intersted in riding and camping north of L.A. this weekend? I'm down for any spots between Lake Isabella, Ojai, and Morro bay.
  5. TrendyB

TrendyB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found a nice spot to camp off in the back of McKinley Grove Rd. Couldn't get my plates on in time so I took the car.
    DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0057_1.JPG
    2020-05-25.jpg
  6. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Im planning on camping up on Shuteye peak with some friends hopefully this year during a New moon weekend to hang out and look at the stars. Probably September 17 as the fire restrictions may be lifted by then. I think it would make the experience much better with one. The other new moon weekends are June 20 July 20 and Aug 18. October is out for me. Always be vigilant where you camp up here, the beetle kill off of the trees have made them prone to breaking off half way up Be sure the trees around you are nice and green with no dead tops. The higher you go the less chance of finding that dead tree danger.
    Shodan2 and TrendyB like this.
  7. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone down for a camping trip in southern parts of Sequoia N.F. this upcoming weekend?
    TrendyB likes this.
  8. 0theories

0theories Enthusiastically Skeptical... Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a little ways, but there's lots of good dispersed camping up by Oakhurst and Sonora... That's my go-to from Merced.

Edit: Also, I can't recommend Mono Hot springs enough! Just amazing...
    TrendyB likes this.
  9. TrendyB

TrendyB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im down to go camping in either the sierras or sequoias. I went hiking near Oakhurst last weekend and it was very pretty. Im not entirely sure how my bike will handle the higher elevations, and it is pretty slow to be riding on the 99. I think it tops out around 80ish, but I get blown around easily. I just have a very basic camping kit and no real tools.
  10. llamacide

llamacide Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m kicking around the idea of heading up to lower Sequoia NF (kern river) beginning of next week to avoid the weekend crowds... not camped up there before but might try a side trail as suggested above... kinda wanna try a bit of fishing... any suggestions on a good place to look for a spot?
  11. TrendyB

TrendyB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody down to ride and camp tomorrow? Im good with either sequoias, sierras, or even the central coast area. Just want to get out of town and enjoy the weekend.
  12. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm down for that! Where are you from? I'll be coming from west L.A.
  13. TrendyB

TrendyB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ill be coming from kings county. Not sure how high my bike will be able to go, but im down for warm or cold weather camping. Don't really have a good idea on where to meet up at.
  14. llamacide

Oddometer:
    It MIGHT be a bit last minute for me ...But, depending on where you guys decide to go and what kind of riding you're looking to do I might be able to.... (I'm on a 500lb Tiger, so technical rides and single-tracks aren't really my jam).....
  15. TrendyB

TrendyB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking like Lake Isabella and dispersed camping. Where are you coming from?
  16. llamacide

Oddometer:
    I'm in LA too (just north of Glendale)...
  17. TrendyB

TrendyB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ended up hanging out at shaver lake for a bit and camped off of dinkey creek rd. Half moon and cloud cover so no long exposure photos, but a warmer night than last week. Picked up about 3 pounds of trash from the people there prior. It was a pretty nice ride home this morning.

DSC_0094.JPG DSC_0100.JPG
    llamacide and Shodan2 like this.
  18. TrendyB

TrendyB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody down for this weekend? Thinking of hitting up shaver lake or dinkey creek and maybe hitting the OHV trails around there.