Central Valley Dual Sport Rides more fun good times

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dsrider, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Rearsteer

Rearsteer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of good talk about the trails, now lets go ride them. I am up for anything from Jerseydale to Bass Lake. Rode from Jerseydale to Dog Town a couple of days ago. Fun ride, but way to much double track. Need some nice single track now!
  2. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Dinkey Creek at the Muley Hole.....no swimming here for a little while yet. This was my first time here, it's about a mile hike from the road (and maybe 300' elev. drop) on an established trail..not too bad at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    wrk2surf and rideallday like this.
  3. SuperDave23

SuperDave23 Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer:
    C_S: To answer your question regarding how I heard about the MTB wanting to make it non-motorized, it was from a friend of mine whom recently retired from the Forest Service. He told me it was a rumor so probably just miscommuniciation.

Regarding 007 I can definitely see the value in a one-way trail, and yes riding that road sucks. I'd be willing to sacrifice the uphill for a legal trail that is safe for everyone.

I don't normally have close calls as I'm riding up early and coming down late so the MTB guys are typically just starting or already done with their rides.

How would one enforce the 1-way rule though? I'm sure the ass-clowns would just ignore it and ride up anyways. 1-way spike strip?
    JPaccassi likes this.
  4. C_S

C_S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've since reached out to the mtb community and there is a group called Southgatetrails that is pushing for the one way, but really, they want dirt bikes off it altogether. They keep using a "sustainabiliy" argument. Whatever. I don't know why I'm all that upset about it. If I ride that trail on the pedal bike it is at 6 in the morning so no real concerned with people coming down.

Anyways, I need to get back on the moto and on the trails again, it's been too long.

But the skiing is still so good!

[​IMG]
    JPaccassi likes this.
  5. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    Soo ... If you see someone on a TE610 motoing around and yer own two flag em down if you are looking for a riding buddy.

I'll be out there ... somewhwere :p
    Rippin209 likes this.
  6. optopilot

optopilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E974D3B7-0DDA-402F-92FC-3C5DA09D0EC2.jpeg I'm RETIRED now and have a little more time to ride. I’ve had some really great times with you guys! Looking forward getting together with some of you soon.
    ironbasher1, montibank and JPaccassi like this.
  7. C_S

C_S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fun day riding on Saturday. Started at Brown's ditch over to Gaggs and over to Whiskey. Still lots of trees down between start of triple and before the creek crossing (which is really slimy and slippery at the moment), otherwise great riding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Custom break lever

[​IMG]

A couple of clips

catfish and JPaccassi like this.
  8. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Great pics & vids, thanks for sharing! We weren't sure how many trails were open in the Whiskey Falls area yet so we opted for Bald Mountain on Sunday. How were things looking around there? Are the good trails open yet? Thanks
  9. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Bald Mountain Sunday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    wrk2surf likes this.
  10. C_S

C_S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was only the 2nd time I've ridden Whiskey falls area so I don't even know what the "good trails" are. We talked to some dudes from Stewards of the Sierra who said all the lower trails are cleared but that trails further up the mountain still have trees in the way.

We were going to go up the trail up towards Shuteye, this one:

[​IMG]

but there were two big trees down in the first 50 yards.
    JPaccassi likes this.
  11. C_S

C_S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And nice pics on Bald.

Sure wish there was more singletrack in that area, especially if we could get some trails built off Dinky Creek road that eventually connected with the Bald Mt trail.
  12. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yeah, most of the 4x4 trails seem to be in the High Sierra Ranger dist. while most of the single track is in the Bass Lake Ranger dist... I dunno why.

Also..most the good trails in Whiskey are in the upper half :thumb
  13. Scrambleon

Scrambleon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Montibank,
    Are you in my neighborhood now? Thought I saw you on Hitchingpost wrenching on a bike that looked familiar.:D
  14. SuperDave23

Oddometer:
    Yep that's him!
  15. Scrambleon

Oddometer:
    Well there goes the nice quite neighborhood! :photog:lol3
    JPaccassi likes this.
  16. SuperDave23

Oddometer:
    You live nearby? Sad to see Monti leave my neighborhood (he was down the street) but that's a nice area.

We have some other friends that bought the "Church" on Burrough Valley Rd. They have 8 kids with another on the way so its perfect for them. :lol3
    wrk2surf likes this.
  17. Scrambleon

Oddometer:
    Yes, around the corner from Monti. We had friends that owned Monti's house before the previous owners. I know the church. 8+ kids!!!:eekers
  18. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    About the trail known as 007. The Forest Service really doesn't want any motorized vehicles on it. The less motorized the less they need to "say" they need to maintain it. Erosion has hit the lower section hard. The once stage route turned MC trail in the early 70s by a few riders from the Miami Mountain Trail Bikers was removed from the travel management plan by the FSit became an illegal trail for motorized use. But never really stopped MC from using it. The Mountain Bike crowd discovered the trail as mountain bikes became more popular and after the route was removed from the MVUM it's easy to see why the young MTB folks thought it was always a MTB route. And yes there have been collisions on it between MC going uphill and MTB going down the lower section.
    The Gateway Trail Riders and a few members of the Stewards of the Sierra NF had a sit down together a couple of weeks ago. Yes the GTR folks really didn't want motorized traffic on 007. Human power can go anywhere even off trail bye the way. A proposal was worked out where the lower section of 007 would be one-way downhill single track no quads or SxS. The remainder of 007 beginning across the road would be two-way. This proposal was delivered to the FS for consideration. When all my grandchildren are out of college it should be in play. Note that years ago when Miami Trails(was once private land) was taken over by the FS the FS said no one-way trails. So we'll see how that goes now. Enforcement of a one-way trail like say Hollister Hills OHV is problematic IMHO. However I've been to Miami when a bike and quad collided on a trail. It wasn't a happy day for those two people.
    Worst case the 007 remains illegal to motorized use. Best case for now a one-way downhill singletrack and you won't be a criminal.
    capt42104 and JPaccassi like this.
  19. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Well I guess most of us have been criminals for the last decade or more then :lol3 I've even seen Forest service on their drz 400's going up the 007 :D..they were having a tough time getting up a section on the first stage :scratch This was years ago before the erosion made the trail better :ricky.. I like the little rut canyon at the bottom! I actually hardly ever see MTB's on the trail, just every once in a while...it's not used that much IMO.
  20. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Some pics from a ride last week Jul 7th - 12th...moto camping in the Stanislaus & El Dorado NF's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    catfish, capt42104 and coarsegoldkid like this.