Central Valley Dual Sport Rides more fun good times

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dsrider, Jul 18, 2007.

1. JW

JW Springs' Cuz

Oddometer:
    SuperDave, if you happen to make it up there Friday, we’re planning on riding the Whiskey area and a tour guide is always welcome. We’ve ridden 007 up to Shuteye, but haven’t yet made it to Whiskey Falls and hoping to find some ST along the way. Any suggestions where to find some are appreciated. I’ll be on a Beta and my son on a 450EXC.
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Did his bike slide down the rock? No one got a video of said mishap?
    JPaccassi likes this.
  3. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    Try the Avenza map app. Free and has the SNF maps for free download works perfectly.
    JW likes this.
  4. SuperDave23

SuperDave23 Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer:
    If you get the SNF MVUM maps you should be able to find most of them. As Wrk2surf said you can get them on your phone with the Avenza app. They aren't great as they only show roads, not any terrain and some are not correct.

From Central Camp Rd there are two trails to get over to the Whiskey Area: 7S83 out of Central Camp and 7S02 out of Gaggs. If you just went up 007, those will be a cakewalk. There's also the goat trail from the top of shuteye but I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you've got a guide for the first time. Easy to get off trail and get yourself in trouble.

8S09 is the main road thru Whiskey which comes up from Cascadel Woods. We call it Cascadel Rd. From there just look for the moto only trails. Good starter would be 23E289 to 23E354 which will drop you off at Whiskey Falls. Flowly, fast trail with some good water bars to get air if you are so inclined.

23E293 off of 23E354 is pretty knarly, especially going "up" on the map. Down is a lot easier.

I sure miss the old names like what was at Miami. I can't remember any of these numbers (had to look at the map to get them).
    JW likes this.
  5. JW

JW Springs' Cuz

Oddometer:
    Great ( dusty) day of riding at Whiskey. We hit the trails mentioned by SuperDave and appreciated the heads up to try downhill on 23E293. Lots of downed trees had us turning around on trails about half the time, but there is some nice stuff up there to ride. We rode 23E280 uphill and got quite a workout. Roots, rocks and silt provided all the challenge this old guy could ask for and tonight I’m feeling all 64 years! Thanks for all the advice and we’ll be back, but need some rain first as we saw dust still in the air from 1800’s stagecoaches!
    JPaccassi likes this.
  6. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    We need rain everywhere!! The humidity was at like 5 or 6% at Spangler Hills this weekend...sooooo dry!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    wrk2surf and JW like this.
  7. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    ...one more from last weekend....a black & white conversion of one of the above pics

[​IMG]
    JW likes this.
  8. phixmup

phixmup возьми Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a TG ride happening this year, staging at bass lake?
    JPaccassi likes this.
  9. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    There has been talk of a black friday ride staging at bass lake....not sure on specifics yet though. I hope we get some rain soon....and no snow :thumb
  10. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been a while since I’ve posted anything on this thread. Glad someone posted a video of pucker rock. I’ve never actually ridden it or seen anyone ride it for that matter. I’d like to give it a shot next time I’m up there. Had a good ride on Saturday, did close to 50 miles of single track.

355BD58E-BBD5-4CD5-92BE-76F5859E6A73.jpeg
    JPaccassi and Rippin209 like this.
  11. SuperDave23

SuperDave23 Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer:
    Yessir. I typically try to organize something for Black Friday since I hate shopping and the weather is usually just about perfect. Hoping this little storm that supposed to come thru will at least knock down some of the dust and provide some more traction.

OH yeah, and on our last ride Curtis talked me into going down Pucker Rock. Not that hard really as your tires grip the rock like glue, but still a big pucker as the rock keeps falling, falling, falling away from you until you finally hit the ~45-deg incline at the end. :lol3
    Rippin209 likes this.
  12. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    Still hasnt rained.. maybe this afternoon but by next Friday it will be like the Mojave in sure as they only expect a trace now. I am waiting to see if it does rain to go ride for an hour or two in it.

Today
    A 50 percent chance of rain, mainly before 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 43 by 5pm. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
    JPaccassi likes this.
  13. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    So no rain hit here in Oakhurst and if there was any dropped above it will have been dried up by noon. Next weather starts Wed or so and keeps going into December.

Edit found some wetness in Shaver, so it maybe good round these parts

20191121_111850.jpg
    View attachment 2003662

Attached Files:

JPaccassi likes this.
  14. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    From super dry for the last 6 months to nothing but snow! It would have been nice to get 1 decent rain in before we were closed out of the high elevation riding. Next year...
  15. phixmup

phixmup возьми Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    SNOW it was! Had to get on the roof & wipe the dish clear to watch football, NICE view from up top.
    [​IMG]
    The kids had a blast sliding down the driveway into the garage
    [​IMG]
    Nice & cozy inside ;)
    [​IMG]
    RIDE ON!
    FoggRider, JPaccassi and JW like this.