Central Valley Dual Sport Rides more fun good times

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dsrider, Jul 18, 2007.

1. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    If you approach Camino falls via Grizzly rd from the bottom then you just keep coming up the rd until you find your first dirt rd heading left. Take that to where it crosses the creek (there's a camp spot there/parking) & then hike down stream maybe 1/2 mi. Cross the meadow & sidehill up the drainage to get around the low shrubbery, then drop down to the top of the falls.

Camino Falls.jpg
    wrk2surf and catfish like this.
  2. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Justin.
    JPaccassi likes this.
  3. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Trying to beat the 112 degree heat yesterday....these are from Bear Creek & the surrounding area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    catfish and TrendyB like this.
  4. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    A couple of shots from the same creek the day before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was up in the Mammoth Pools/Jackass Rock area Saturday. Couldn't see the eastern slope of the San Joaquin river canyon through the smoke.
    JPaccassi likes this.
  6. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    I haven't been up in the mountains since the fires started...I bet it's pretty bad. :hack I'm hoping for some decent air this weekend...got to find some hidden high alt valley pocket that is unaffected..I know pipe dreams :lol3
  7. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Rode to Vermillian Resort at Edison yesterday. That road is still pretty bad no matter what bike you ride. It was over 90 degrees at Vermillion and 89 degrees at White Bark Vista, 9,200 feet. We could see blue sky up there but looking across to Edison, it was smoky at all elevations but much worse on the valley floor. But the heat and smoke didn't keep me from enjoying our local mountains anyway. Lots of traffic going into Edison Lake so watch out for the cagers on that road. I slow way down on all blind corners. There were a couple of cows crossing the road as we were coming into Huntington Lake from Shaver Lake. 4x4's waved at us to give us a heads up.
    JPaccassi likes this.
  8. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    So I quit FB again... LOL at least for a couple months during our country's disagreement. So now that its cooling lets really SERIOUSLY plan a Shuteye Ride N Camp and have a good BBQ dinner I would like to do a darker non full moon friday or saturday night to get the full milkyway stargazing chance.
    TrendyB and JPaccassi like this.
  9. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Camped by myself Saturday night at Ross Creek then met the guys for a day of riding on Sunday!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bear Creek Falls
    [​IMG]

Bear Creek Falls
    [​IMG]

Shot with my Tamron 90mm...difficult to say the least
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Evidence of said dirt bike riding....Brewer Lake
    [​IMG]

Brewer lake
    [​IMG]

Brewer Lake
    [​IMG]

West Lake
    [​IMG]
    catfish likes this.
  10. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Rode to Buck Rock Lookout yesterday. The lookout is staffed but closed to visitors for the season. On the way down highway 180, we turned off on Davis Road heading to Pine Flat Lake to see if the road was open and it was so we rode all the way to Pine Flat Lake. That is the first time this road has opened since the fire went through there several years ago. Gates at the top and bottom of the road were open.

IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg

Attached Files:

catfish and JPaccassi like this.
  11. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:

Nice! I was wondering about Buck Rock lookout.....sucks that you can't get to the top, but figured as much with the current state of affairs. Also had heard that millwood/crabtree/davis rd or whatever it's called :D is back open, just haven't been to check it out yet....maybe in late October :lol3
    catfish likes this.
  12. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    We were surprised it was open. Lots of new growth since the fire and it is amazing how a few trees seem untouched by the fire. The road is about the same as it always has been. One washout was filled with softball size rocks but was no problem to cross. I always have a hard time trying to figure out the name of this road as well. It has more than one name and the Verplank Trail comes out on this road but I wouldn't recommend anyone try to find a way through to it because that is how many have become stranded. A friend of mine walked the Verplank Trail with a ranger from the top to the bottom. It took them all day and they had to crawl under some of the brush and that was over 5 years ago. I'm sure it is much more overgrown by now.

If the forest service would let us, it would take an army of volunteers with chain saws, pruning sheers and hedgers to clear this trail and even if we did, it dumps out at an Indian burial ground at the bottom so I don't foresee it opening anytime soon. Just hiking it is difficult enough.
    catfish and JPaccassi like this.
  13. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, Verplank, been there and did a quarter of it from the top down. :lol3 It took us 2 weekends to get our bikes out with rope & pulleys & six guys :photogNever again.....mainly because of the poison oak or we might have already re-opened that trail :muutt
    wrk2surf and catfish like this.
  14. JW

JW Springs' Cuz

Oddometer:
    Glad my son & I got to visit Whisky falls recently. Looks like the Creek Fire may have changed that area for the rest of our time here on earth. Sure hope it wasn't man caused.....
    JPaccassi likes this.
  15. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    144,000 acres burned in 3.5 days so far..insane...I was just up in Burrough Valley this morning helping a friend get some things out. Spot fires on the ridge there about a mile out. Hoping for the best.
  16. redwave

redwave well...seasoned noob

Oddometer:
    (center of the known riding world) Utah for now
    Beautiful pics JP, I miss them Mountains!
    JPaccassi likes this.
  17. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Finally out for a ride since the fires started! Sequoia/kings canyon partially reopened...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hume Lake
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    catfish likes this.
  18. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Did a last minute ride yesterday around Millwood OHV & Davis Flat rd down to the Kings River...Left Clovis around 12pm & back home by 6:30pm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JW, catfish and nacho squatcho like this.
  19. JW

JW Springs' Cuz

Oddometer:
    @JPaccassi Nice RR & reminder to get out there before the rains show up ( hopefully). #1 son and I "attempted " Verplank years ago and haven't been back to that area since the fire. GM shows FS 13597 to FS 12S01 to Sampson Flat to FS 12501 to Trimmer Springs. Is that the route you guys rode? Thanks for any routing advice as we really don't want a repeat of anything like the infamous Verplank!
    JPaccassi likes this.
  20. SuperDave23

SuperDave23 Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer:
    I don't know JP's exact route, but you've got the gist of the route. If you're starting from the 180 side, you can either start at Millwood and work your way down to 12S01 or turn off at the Armenian Camp Road (13S97) and work your way over. It's pretty easy.

From the Pine Flat side just go out till the sketchy bridge to Balch camp and take off on the dirt road on the south side of the river (12S01).

To end up on Verplank you'd have to go in thru the National Park and over to Cherry Gap...been there done that. I think the Yellow DR pictured above has made it the furthest down Verplank in most recently times...was fun to belay it back out! :lol3

Ben's video from 6-years ago just doesn't do it justice!
    JPaccassi and catfish like this.