Ceramic Coating of Exhaust Headers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Larry Womack, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Larry Womack

Larry Womack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any experience out there with ceramic coating of exhaust headers? I understand it will eliminate the blue "heat tempering" we all experience within a few hundred miles, plus the ceramic coating is said to offer lower heat dissipation and better clean-up.

I saw one seller (Rennsport Motorrad) on the IBMWR site offering an exchange service for oil heads for $200. Surfing for other companies quickly netted another half-dozen, or so. Seems to be very popular among racers of all varieties.

What should I watch out for?

Larry
    :ear
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Right-o...and they're currently being recoated after nine months of use. Jet-hot. If you have a GS, I recommend you leave the headers alone...they blue up very nicely and the chrome quality is very good.
  3. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I had my 14 year old XLV750 headers HPC coated 3 years ago,I never wanted to pull them off again.They're dirty,but so's the bike.No problems.
  4. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I had them done here in New Zealand,just higher quality workmanship I think:evil :rofl :rofl :rofl
  5. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just had my headers redone by Jet Hot. These were pretty much shot to hell, what with all the corosion, heat discoloration, and baked on road grime. Jet Hot restored them to "like new" condition, though they don't resemble stock headers any longer. The finish on them is more like a semi-gloss silver, rather than the "chrome" look they used to have. Personally I don't mind the change a bit. The chrome look of the stock headers didn't match anything else on the bike; these fit in much better with the matte silver engine paint.

As far as reducing radiant heat, all I can tell you is that laying a plastic bag on the hot headers after a ride doesn't leave charred remains that are impossible to remove. All it did was melt the plastic, which peeled off easily once the headers had cooled down.

The "new" treated headers now have over 2000 miles on them, and there's no sign of discoloration. Road grime from a long ride in wet weather just wipes right off with a sponge or paper towel.

No telling how long this finish will last, though Jet Hot guarantees it for three years (lifetime guarantee if the headers are new).
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Here's what my recoated Jet-Hot "sterling" headers look like after 45 miles.
  7. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    [Can't see the metal on mine. There is a layer of caked on road grime and mud on mine that probably will never come off.
    Is it a NorthWest thing?
    :1drink [/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Many of the GS's I've seen here in Florida have awfull looking exhaust headers. They're either badly corroded, or covered with baked on road grime. I'm curious to see if my Jet Hot coated pipes will continue to be impervious to this. So far, all accumulated road grime just wipes right off with a moist paper towell.
  8. kevbo

kevbo Rubbery-Lip Flappin' PHI

Oddometer:
    The header of the exhaust system on my Airhead RS came with black ceramic coating. So far it seems to be working as advertised. It was a Luftmeister system...not sure about specifics of the coating. I think it has eliminated the melting & cooked paint of the fairing grill piece that I got with the stock headers....don't know if that is due to different geometry, or insulating value of the coating however.