CFMoto CF650TR Long-term Reliability

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Koonzee, Jan 6, 2017.

  1. Koonzee

    Koonzee Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2009
    Oddometer:
    121
    Location:
    Via Lactea
    Forum Members,

    Hello and happy new year! I am considering a 2012 CFMoto CF650TR or CF650TF sport-touring motorcycle with 12,000 kms or 7,500 miles in excellent condition. I have searched the Internet for information on the 2012 models and have found very little regarding long-term reliability of the earlier CF650TR/TK models. Most of the Google and YouTube hits reflect marketing information or first impressions from new owners. Very little information is available on the English-based motorcycle forums, that I could find.

    If you own a CFMoto CF650TR or CF650TK motorcycle or any CFMoto motorcycle that shares the same 2012 650 motor, please post your model year, mileage, long-term impressions and any pre-mature failures other than the normal consumable items. I am a most interested in the long-term reliability of the motor and associated maintenance issues.

    The reviews on the Net highlighted issues or premature failures associated with the following:
    1. fuel-gauge failure/accuracy
    2. insufficient legroom
    3. rusty fuel tank (internal)
    4. random throttle position sensor failures
    5. valve failures
    6. electrical problems
    7. radiator failures
    8. false oil pressure sensor failure alerts
    9. uncomfortable seat
    10. availability of service manuals
    11. engine gasket failures
    12. Excessive flex in handlebars
    13. weak horn - replaced with aftermarket horns
    14. short side stand - addressed with side stand extension
    15. fuel-gauge failure/accuracy - addressed with new instrument panel
    16. speedometer failure - addressed with new instrument panel
    17. excessive premature light bulb failures - headlight bulbs replaced with HID lights
    18. Unreliable instrument panel display; replaced with updated instrument panel

    Was the 2012 the first model year?
    What were the updates or upgrades between 2012-2016?
    Is it true the 2012 CFMoto CF650TR motor was cloned after the 2008 Kawasaki Ninja ER6N motor?

    Finally, if you are taller than average, please reply with your leg's inseam length and opinions of the ergonomics. Has anyone successfully lowered the foot pegs and altered the gear shifter for more leg room or knee comfort? This motorcycle is being considered for an extended tour of China.

    Thank you,

    David
    #1
  2. See-Double-You

    See-Double-You Long timer

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2003
    Oddometer:
    2,174
    Location:
    Anchorage, AK
    Making the KLR look GOOD.
    #2
  3. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    KLR -> Designed in Japan, made in Thailand to Japanese specs.

    CFMoto -> Designed and manufactured in China to Chinese specs.

    'Nuff said..... :deal

    -SM
    #3
  4. ErikMotoMan

    ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2014
    Oddometer:
    4,486
    Location:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    Run! Away!
    #4
  5. Koonzee

    Koonzee Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2009
    Oddometer:
    121
    Location:
    Via Lactea
    Potential CFMoto Buyers & Current Owners:

    Here's a PSA, public service announcement, you should be aware of if you are considering a first generation Cf650, especially if you weigh more than a ten year old and frequently stand on your pegs. Ensure the foot peg mounts were updated with later model mounts. Otherwise, you may experience the following:

    captured from Chinese motorcycle forum:
    >My left hand foot peg broke away from the side casting causing a low speed drop down.<
    > same happen to mine on a Gen 1 TR last year in Thailand<
    > something similar happen not on the main plate but on the lugs the the pegs are attached. The casting showed signs of impurities at the points where they broke.<
    > Everyone with an early 650tr tk please inspect the side castings for cracks and seek replacement if required.<

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ride safely!
    #5