Chain tool on long trip?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by ggemelos, May 19, 2015.

1. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I carry the tool. I've never used it and admit I don't even know how, but it weighs less than a can of soda and is worth it's weight in copper if I need one.
    nk14zp likes this.
  2. Redrockmania

Redrockmania Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The starting point needs to be good chain maintenance assuming your chain and sprockets and links are all new or in good condition. Either a good chain lube system on the bike, or a regime of regularly cleaning the chain and spraying a good lube on it will increase longevity, reduce need for adjustment and/or replacement. At the very least carry a spare link and make sure it is the correct one and will fit.
  3. migilito

migilito Perpetual NooB

Oddometer:
    I carry one on my ktm500 along with spare masters and a length of chain. But, thats when i ride dirt. On my cb500 i will be replacing the stock chain with a stronger vx2 and will still carry the breaker and parts even though ill be slabbing more. Imo, mail the spockets ahead...stage parts.
  4. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    :nod Put a brand new chain and sprockets on, carry a couple of sprockets. On my DR650 that would take me well over 10,000-12,000 miles- 525 chain. What is your average chain life on your bike?

Leave the chain tool home. Small bikes with smaller chains are used world over, you'll find someone to fix it if you need it.

They'll probably improvise tools somewhat. This guy in Turkey used his grinder to make a punch out of some random old part to take the old chain off, and they'll be adept at putting the new one on with rudimentary tools.

[​IMG]

If you want to carry something extra, take another spare tube- you are much more likely to need that.

..............shu
  5. Kempy

Kempy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take it you might just need it, I carry my motion pro PBR together with a spare gear lever strapped under the cover by the water header tank on my WRR, weighs bugger all and it’s pretty much forgotten now, with a broken chain your not going anywhere in a hurry so removing the tool won’t take long. Spare links and piece of chain stashed as well.
  6. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they took the tool, the question was asked in 2015.
    Yinzer Moto, nk14zp and sieg like this.
  7. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they had to use the tool. I don't see how it's possible to push a pin out on a modern chain, without grinding the head off first.
    So, what to carry to grind the pin down?
  8. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I unclip the master link. Instal the new chain with a new master link.
    Knuckle Buster likes this.
  9. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    The first time I changed out a chain, I did exactly that on a DID x-ring chain using my Motion Pro tool. Worked great. After realizing my mistake, I have since grinded them down before removing the pins.
  10. Motomantra

Oddometer:
    Of course. But that is a different story.
  11. Knuckle Buster

Knuckle Buster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about buying an extra chain to carry in my bags. I've got 5,000 miles on my 19.95 with free shipping Bike Master chain. It hasn't stretched yet, haven't had to adjust it yet, but I keep in mind that it is still a very cheap chain when I hit the road. My back wheel is a real mess, but oiling the pee-willy out of it every 100 miles carrying a quart of 80w90 with me has kept me from having to adjust the cheap non o-ring chain. The factory Yamaha chain stretched a few times using wax so I tried something different. The 80w90 is a mess but the cheapest chain I could find seems to be holding up well doing it this way.
    RVDan and nk14zp like this.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    We carried a chain tool, 2 chains and 4 sprockets 14,000 miles and never used them. Sat in the bottom of a bag you just forget it is there. Better safe than sorry. If you are asking should you take it you already know the answer.....YES....it’s small enough not to worry about. Plus there are two bikes to spread out the load.
  13. Bugzy

Bugzy 2014 VStrom DL1000a

Oddometer:
    Replace chain/sprockets before you go. They will be good for 20k easily if you oil it twice every day. Install an oiler on bike to make this easy (under $30).

Buy a chain and sprockets and leave them at home all boxed up. If you need them have family ship them to you. Carry narrow tip vice grips (to squeeze plates together), punch and small hammer, and get some screw links instead of rivet type, those will work in a pinch and get you someplace where you can decide if its necessary to replace with rivet type. I heard they last pretty well though. I would not bring a chain tool.
    cambam likes this.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Here's a valid question. Why oil an O ring chain at all let alone twice a day? I do wipe some motor oil on mine to stop it rusting......but the oil isn't
    getting in the moving part of a link.
  15. Motomantra

Oddometer:
    No o-ring on the rollers. Having lubrication on the rollers is good.
  16. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can use a leatherman to replace your chain, there's no sense in packing along a single purpose tool if it can be avoided.
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    So are we lubing the chain or the sprockets? I know on machinery I've worked with/installed we lube the gears and sprockets and never the actual chain. (I've ridden shaft drive mainly for the last 17 years). On our 14,000 mile Suzuki DR650 trip I wiped the chain with a tad of Motolube paste about every third/fourth day. Same chains and sprockets for 14,000. I put new front sprockets on when we got home.....now at 16,500 miles with original rear sprockets and original chains.....I am barely wiping the chain with the paste.......I forgot it on our last 1700 mile trip and just wiped the chain with motor oil as they do tend to rust very easily.
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    How do you get the stamped link off? I have a chain tool at home and still I cut through a link on a customers bike with a cutting wheel. Then at his request installed the new chain with a Split Link (which I safety wired).
  19. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    File off the protruding pins on one side, same as you'd do at home. Then you can pry the side plate off. You can peen the new ones over if you didn't get a clip type master link.
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Are you filing them off with your Leatherman? Are you peening them over with the Leatherman? I may be in the minor category of people that don't care for Leatherman. I'd rather carry a knife and a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. I've gotten several variations of Leatherman and either give them away...or like my current Kobalt it sits in the kitchen drawer......then I still go to the garage for screwdriver or pliers. My good friend carries a Leatherman in a holster in plain view and claims he uses it EVERY single day on his job.
    We have a tool pouch for each bike we own. YES...they are heavy.....I haven't weighed the Suzuki DR650 one but I guess it must weigh 7 pounds or more. I leave the Leatherman in the drawer...but on long trips on the BMW I carry my 3/8 Sears torque wrench in inch and a quarter drain pipe in the bottom of my largest pannier!
    You have to be careful buying a MotionPro chain tool......one variation merely pushes the pins out AFTER you have ground them off......the better one pushes ground pins out and peens over new ones. I'm a big fan of Split Link and safety wire.