1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Chaingolian Galena Thursday

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by chain, Oct 27, 2004.

1. skeeter

skeeter Captain Safety

Oddometer:
    Looks like you still had a decent ride. I never would have thought of using a helmet for a jack:D . I'll have to file that one away for future use!
  2. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    The roads are are much longer, alot of them heading NE, SW through the bluffs. I may do some scouting today if the Dakar extracation ( word?)
    goes well. lotsa bluffs on the Mississippi, both sides, Check out the Iowa gazateer as well as the Wisconsin page 25, 32, 33
    my Iowa maps are on the bike, but it looks like great riding both sides of the river. I have discounted this area in the past because there is so much good riding that start in my backyard. It is about 180 miles to Savanah were these bluffs begin.
    I will be back :nod
  3. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    A stick works well too, the kickstand does most of the work, just need something to balance the bike. all we had was cornstalks for 10 miles, so the helmet was the object of choice
  4. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    Chain,

Whenever your ready to go back to this area let me know. Either side of the river there's some rally neat country to ride. On the Iowa side once get a little north of Clinton it realy starts to get bluffy.
  5. Panic

Panic Anxiety's little friend

Oddometer:
    Chain, Thanks for the report and pics.................hope nothing major in fixing the Dakar. Prolly not too many Dakars out there that get babied like yours. :rofl
  6. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joe Ill keep you posted, may have to miss this Thursday, try again on the following Thursday
  7. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:

tell me about it
    Im all about TLC may just need a little rub and carresing :evil

:evil

Ive got it back home and apart, just about to crack an Elmwood Amber and break out the volt meter. I fear it may be the Motronic aka brain
  8. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Im sneaking up on the problem, pretty sure its the brain
  9. Panic

Oddometer:
    FYI .......I saw this bike for sale today on craigslist Chicago.............1996 ATK 605.....asking $2200 (in Milwaukee.)
    Aircooled Rotax desert bike. Looks to be in good shape. Looks to be close to street legal. I would go look, but me thinks my stumpy legs would make for difficult sidesaddle stops. Might be a decent Chaingolia ride for a less vertically challenged individual...............Carry on.
    Chain.... you still got a working Brain??
    link http://chicago.craigslist.org/mcy/47474331.html
  10. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:

Had a lapse. with a bit of help from Ostrich and Gaspipe I got the Dakar problem solved. Seems it was just a loose connection at the battery.

The starter would turn over but wouldnt fire, so i figured the battt was fine.
    But the positive was a bit loose causing a voltage drop significant enough to keep the electronics from functioning properly. It now starts and runs, though I have not been for a test ride I feel confident problem is solved.

ATK looks like a great ride, too bad it doesnt fit into the family budget today :deal

cheer
    chain
  11. Panic

Oddometer:
    Sometimes little things turn into big things. Nice that it was an easy fix. Brains are expensive :nod
  12. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tell me about it looks like I should have taken my brain to Galena.
    I was able to get some new ideas on gearing the Dakar on my return trip. :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]