Chainsaw left sitting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by double_entendre, May 14, 2019.

1. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes. Just sticking it on a shelf after the last use was dumb. I know, I know.

But I need to use it again (first time in years), so I need to get it running again. It’s a Husqvarna 435.

What should I expect to have to do?
  2. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it won't run? I leave mine wet all of the time and never have issues. Shake the saw to make sure the oil is still mixed in the tank well, pull it, fire it up and pull curls with the chain all day long.

If the gas does smell, pour it out and put in fresh and see if it will run like that. Worst comes to worst you will have to put a carb kit in it.
  3. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Might as well take out the spark plug and clean it, and maybe put a couple of drops of oil in the cylinder. That's about all.
  4. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Get some Starting Fluid, put some fresh gas mix in it, pull it over a few times to get some gas/oil into it.
    Then spray that "start you bastard" fluid into the air intake/filter, wait 30 seconds, then start pulling the pull cord...
    Starting Fluid ignites via compression, works for me but not so sure about 2 smokes, worth a try though :dunno
    :lol3
    double_entendre likes this.
  5. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I would pour out the old gas and put in fresh mix. clean the air filter and the plug, pour a thimble full of fuel in the hole and try it. it should go.... at least for a spurt. usually they will run on high even if it won't idle. after it warms up, if it won't idle, the low speed jets are gummed. I dump some Seafoam in the gas and pull it through, prime it, stumble-run it --- whatever it takes to get the fresh fuel in the carb & then let it sit. if it doesn't get better after a couple cycles doing that, then pull the carb. I am always reluctant to crack straight into the carb because they often have little springs, balls, and stuff that wants to jump out. and then theres gaskets, etc... once you tear it apart you're stuck to it
  6. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    +1 on fresh fuel and Seafoam.

Get it running, warm it up and let the new gas and Seafoam do their work. Like was said before, it may not idle at first. Seafoam May take a bit to dissolve the gum out of the idle jet.

JT
    Gillus and Beezer like this.
  7. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good chance the flaps in the carburetor fuel pump will be stuck and sticky. Simply pull the screw(s), and wipe the plastic flappers down with solvent.

Gas in the tank, probably worthwhile to simply dump it into the recycled oil jug. It's kinda hard to nose test modern gasolines for combustibility.
    cal08 likes this.
  8. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I have the same saw. It always starts. I only run ethanol free in all my small engines, but great advice above.
  9. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    My husky saw is in the scrap pile now , tygon gas lines desintigrated in the gas tank after a year , I fixed that with real gas hose then the carb quit carbing so I quit jacking with it . No more than I need a saw these days I use a homelite electric now .
    Wentwest likes this.
  10. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Go to Amazon get a carb. for about 15 bucks and fire it up.
    vector6, Jonnybow and kenstone like this.
  11. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    My old homelite saw ran over 30 years with nothing more than bows and chains , and that was several cords of firewood every year . I’m done shopping around if I ever want another gas saw it will be another homelite or ill reseal my old one and bring it back to life .
  12. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chainsaw carbs have a lot of tiny and delicate parts compared to motorcycle carbs. You can disassemble, clean and put them back together but it requires more care and higher power reading glasses than moto carbs.
  13. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Long timer

Oddometer:
    Replacement carb is under $20.00 on Amazon, carb rebuild kit is $10.00. Buy a carb and rebuild the old for next time.
  14. double_entendre

Oddometer:
    Next time?

What are you implying? :lol3
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My husky 61 was bought in 1977 when I took a log building course. Still have it and have used it hard some years and others not. This model 61 Husky 2 stroke always starts or maybe just the ones that are built like a tank from the 70's some times in the spring it will take 10 or 12 pulls!
  16. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pull the cord.
    ohgood and MrVvrroomm like this.
  17. double_entendre

Oddometer:
    I mean to get it running. Unlike @Jim Moore, I'm not posting for help in JM. :lol3
    ozmoses likes this.
  18. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've let my 459 sit for months at a time,fires right up. :dunno

Actually, few months ago I pulled out an old Poulan I put away wet 10 years or more ago.

Took more than a few pulls, but it did do some limbing that day.

I was shocked!

Honestly, 5 pulls at full choke,go to 1/2 choke and pull again.

I've rarely seen a Husky fail to fire.

My Husqvarna backpack blower gets used and abused and stored improperly but keeps on keepin' on.
    Amphib and double_entendre like this.
  19. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Push primer bulb, pull the cord?

Seriously my lawn stuff sits outside all winter and starts up second pull in the spring. I'm using really high dollar Lucas 2t and hard to find 87 octane in them though.
    MrVvrroomm and shinyribs like this.
  20. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    I happen to be a Husqvarna chainsaw repairman. But I'm not gonna help if you're gonna act like that.
    ozmoses, double_entendre and Amphib like this.