Chainsaw left sitting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by double_entendre, May 14, 2019.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why tell someone to buy a carb for a chainsaw if they haven't yet put in fresh gas and gave it a pull?
    Seafoam? Why? The issue is if it's ready to run and chainsaws typical is the fuel lines get hard not so much clogged. You don't "do" the carb unless all the easy stuff has been checked off. Not that carbs dont go bad. My Kohler saw mille engine carb needed replacement recently and even though not that old an engine, Kohler carbs are NLA except a few high priced old stock carbs. I bought a $14 Amazon carb and other than an hour to get the float bowl to seal properly it now runs like it should. Pure gas is not available in my area of many, many loggers and chainsaws.
    This:
    Like said, dump the old gas.
    Using a hook/wire pull up the fuel pickup line and see if the filter looks OK and the line is pliable and not going hard.
    Clean the air filter.
    Clean the spark plug.
    Take a look at the muffler exit hole and make certain the hole is open and not plugged with mud daubber mud. This is very commonly found on stored 2-cycle engines with tiny exhaust holes. They will not run if blocked.
    Fresh fuel mix and see if it starts.
    With ethanol fuels I prefer storing 2 cycle engines dry, not wet, as the alcohol dries out the carb diaphrams over the winter. They get wrinkled and don't work. Ethanol makes small engine repair people much of their income, a well known fact.
    I'm not a Husky repairman but I KNOW chainsaws as a user and a mechanic who does his own. I'm a Stihl owner/user but if I were to change brands it would be Husky!
    double_entendre and Amphib like this.
  2. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    Lessee. What's the appropriate response here? Oh yes:

:finger

:lol3
    Beezer and Jim Moore like this.
  3. Byrdmando

Byrdmando Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the worst possible advise. NEVER EVER use starting fluid in a two cycle engine. Many many 2cycle engine have seized up while using starting fluid. Starting fluid breaks down any oil that is coating the piston and the piston will run "dry" because of it.

IF it wont start with fresh gas.....may have to take carb apart and spray carb cleaner all around....loads of youtube videos to help with your exact model. For future reference....use fuel stabilizer or Ethanol Free gas and this will eliminate lots of potential problems. https://www.pure-gas.org/
    double_entendre likes this.
  4. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Have the same saw. Six pumps on the primer, slide the choke lever up, pull three times until it clicks over once, move choke off, next pull it fires up.

edit: I agree that there has been some terrible advice given in this thread.
    ohgood, Byrdmando and double_entendre like this.
  5. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Just get a new one.... it's a disposable society now. :lol3
  6. lakelivr

lakelivr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And make sure the new one is battery powered.
  7. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    OK, now we have the definitive answer about using Starting Fluid in a 2 smoke, and the reason I said "but not so sure about 2 smokes".
    Not sure how a sprits on the air filter element would wash the oil off the piston because it'll be pulled in the cylinder as a vapor (mixed with air) not a liquid.
    But hey, you and those who piled on are the experts here not me, and my expertise is "terrible advise".
    :lol3
  8. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    never use starting fluid on any engine is my advice...

figure out whats wrong and correct that issue, so it starts and operates normally.

out of curiosity, I was in my shed today, picked up my Stihl 024, made in 1991 I think, and not started since last summer.

pulled it 5 times, it blurbed, moved to half choke, pulled it again and it roared to life.

No ethanol fuel, and stihl synthetic 2 stroke oil have been a good combo for me.
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    well then where do I get an air cleaner element for a 1977 model 61?
  10. double_entendre

Oddometer:
    Real men use velocity stacks and open pipes.

:ricky
  11. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brought my Grandpas well now my dad's Husky to the local dealer to match up a new chain and tune up kit as it was way over due. There was a old guy at the back counter helping me out and was impressed by the saw, he points over to all the new ones and says take good care of yours as the new ones are all fucking junk.:photog
    Beezer likes this.
  12. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    This maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/HIPA-Husqvarna-501807101-501807105-501807106/dp/B00UFCB46C

No problem with parts on my same vintage Husky 50. I go to Marvin's the local Husqvarna dealer and although most parts are obsolete he has a few old 50s parts saws in his storage trailer.Maybe some 61s in there too?

I miss my 2100.....had to resist temptation last week when someone offered me a near new 576XP for about 1/2 the 2019 Canadian price.
    kenstone likes this.
  13. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    They make a carb rebuild kit, SIL is doing mine now, did it a few years ago but I never used it so he needs to do it again.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Message says current no sellers can deliver, I am okay for now and there is an old repair place in Enderby that has many old saws in his shed and all over his property!
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cal, I did yer legwork and two come up on ebay for a Model 61, both on the slow boat from China. Check out the pics there and see if correct?
    Listed are 5 models of Husquavarna and a couple of Jonsereds. If you use the brand & model only, as search terms then more comes up and in North America.
  16. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just had the same issue with a Husky weed wacker, 15 min with carb cleaner and an air compressor along with new fuel line and it fired right up. A quick spritz of starting fluid is not going to wash off all of the oil. As air moves through the carb, the carb supplies an oil and gas mixture even if you've added starting fluid into the intake.
    MotoChris521 and kenstone like this.
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    At this point I'm hoping you got it running? Its a chainsaw, not space shuttle. Has like three moving parts.
    Byrdmando and double_entendre like this.
  18. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    If you're that worried about using starter fluid on a two stroke you could always put some premix in an old spray bottle .
    Byrdmando likes this.
  19. double_entendre

Oddometer:
    Got distracted by something more important than a small dead limb.

[​IMG]
    JT105 likes this.
  20. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I used to disassemble, clean & lube all my main weapons every spring.... replace bail springs every other year & carry a spare... ready to do battle all summer. the only ones I trust are Penn and Mitchell (the old ones).... takes quality to hang with a diehard combat fisher all summer