1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Chainsaw mount on a dirt bike?: Trail Fast Saw Mount & others

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by B1, Jan 21, 2017.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    For small stuff, a tomahawk or reciprocating saw in the backpack is enough. But for serious track clearing you need a decent chainsaw mount. Check the posts below for other brands or do-it-yourself. We looked at the:
    - Trail Fast Saw Mount $225
    - Trail Tech Chainsaw Mount $200
    - Promoto Billet Chainsaw Carrier Plate $80

Rigs that other guys mention below:
    ProMoto plate
    VersaRack
    DIY rig 1
    DIY rig 2
    More on this link here

After too many wobbly moments with just strapping our chainsaw to the rear of the bike, we did some reading up and got the Trail Fast Saw Mount bolted to the KTM.

It fits most KTM enduro models from 200cc and up, quite a few Husabergs and Husqvarnas, and all the Beta enduro models with some mods to the mount. It can fit other bikes, check with Midwest. Designed for the Stihl 170 and 180 series but plenty of adjustments to fit most chainsaws.

Our verdict? Awesome. It simply won't move no matter how hard you ride. On and off in seconds. It affects the handling of the bike far less than we expected. Perfect for a few hours of track clearing. But it takes a few minutes to put the bracket on so if you were only riding out to do one log you might want to look at something not so secure but that just straps on to the fork legs like the Trail Fast below. If you already have a rear rack (and strong subframe) look at the Promoto Billet below.

The Trail Tech Chainsaw Mount looked quite good too - it's a bit cheaper and could have been perfect if we had a Stihl 192 or 193... that is the only chainsaw it takes apparently. It can be put on and taken off faster as it just straps to the forks, but doesn't sound as secure over rough ground from what we've heard.... If you were going to leave the bracket on when not carrying the chainsaw, one advantage of this mount is nothing comes up above the handlebars. With the Trail Fast there is a securing latch that could be a safety issue if riding without the chainsaw. But either mount comes off quickly so it's a minor point.

The Promoto Billet Chainsaw Plate is the cheapest of the lot and could be ideal if you have a rear rack. We didn't, and the rear subframe on most enduro bikes is too weak to load up with something like a chainsaw. There was very little info out there about this one and couldn't find any user reviews, would be interested to hear how it's worked out for guys and if it affected the handling of the bike much... logic would suggest handling is affected less with the weight at the rear.

Tips for riding with a chainsaw
    - For small stuff try a tomahawk, reciprocating saw or battery chainsaw in the backpack
    - Add a few psi to the front tire to stop washouts if carrying a larger chainsaw
    - Keep the scabbard on for safety and keep dust out of the chain
    - Don't spill oil all over the saw, it can leak down onto your front brake
    - If making a mount keep the saw as close to the bike as possible.
    Thanks to LowBottomPros from Youtube for most of these tips.
  2. OffRoadRider15f

OffRoadRider15f Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bill Dart has a fork mount chainsaw rack. KTM and Husqvarna.

3. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    I put mine in a backpack
  4. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    Appreciate your posting up info.

wwguy has used the ProMoto plate on a Beta rack:

http://www.betarider.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1722

Here is another front rig, the VersaRack:

http://razorbackoffroad.com/store/c6/Dirt_Bike_Products.html

For an AJP with very minimal subframe I rigged up a front rack that is light and has worked well with top-handle saws. Weight was tolerable but riding in ruts is degraded and more workout was noticeable at the end of the day:

https://goo.gl/photos/GSqNDWtqoJ6muSwJ9

Here are a couple other DIY rigs:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/652380-pics-of-your-fork-mounted-chainsaw-carrier/
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?69414-DIY-Chainsaw-carryall-tote-for-your-dirt-bike!

Pack option: I found that the workload of taking off, unpacking, repacking, putting on was very high if there is a lot of cutting to be done while wearing full armor, especially when hot. It just adds up. Plus the pack got huge because my normal kit is 22 lbs of gear and liquid on my back.

With the front rack I have saw in hand 22 seconds from kickstand down. If you are cutting scores of logs per day the difference is huge.

For my CRF230F, I'm looking at a rear mount. This would avoid the whole front wiring mess, and needing to cut off the ignition switch which is cast into the upper triple.

Also the rear just seems to be able to handle another 15 lbs better than the front. Will probably go with the Fastway plate and this rack:

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/27_54/products_id/4878

I am hoping I can wrap Wolfman E-12 bags around this rig because I need to carry saw supplies and moto gas in them. Because these bags run forward, I think they may leave room for the saw bar:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZK0m0LUwsqjrfgbL6eQCBu4T2nkPq6eF4lB7Ch9oEes/pub#h.kdc5bmixfu7j

Will update as sawing season approaches.
  5. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am still kicking this around, I thought my old Stihl 044 a might big for the bike so bought a Echo cs355T.
    KLX has a rear rack so maybe :scratch
    Xtrainer has no rack but I don't want to have to remove the headlight, Rear rack plus saw mount appx $400 and no way to haul xtra fuel and oil.
    Used atv with front and rear racks $1500.:hmmmmm

:dunno:hmmmmm:scratch
  6. Granitic

Oddometer:
  7. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    thanks for the extra info guys, i've worked the links into the first post as well.
  8. Granitic

Oddometer:
    In steep terrain that gets real interesting with high center of gravity. When I tried a pack it made me loop out on very steep climbs. Also slide out on downhills.

Speaking of looping out, rear mounting turned out to be a non-starter for me. It does not balance the weight front to back.

Now using my new third generation rack. Lots of details and pix here: ttp://bit.ly/2yeTjBn

20181007_074623_HDR-EFFECTS_800wi.jpg